Re: [Autism-Mercury] Re: Cost of Chelation? Please tell me this is NOT TRUE!!!

  • kay edge
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 11, 2006
      The cost can certainly get that high if you are using a doctor. When we were using Dr. Edelson it was $250 once a week for EDTA IVs. The DSMA suppositories were like $50 a week. Not to mention all the other supplements and treatments. I spent $2500 for lab work. I did almost the same lab work with another doctor and it cost about $300. And if you have Blue Cross Blue Shield Great Plains will bill the insurance for the test.

      I thank the Lord that my insurance covered (reimbursed) about 70%. I thank the Lord also that I wised up to the chelation game and I will never give a doctor or any other person that much money or power over my child again!!!! There are wonderful doctors out there (Bradstreet is one) but there are also many that pray on parents ignorance and willingness to trust doctors blindly.

      I am now a big advocate for alternative medicine (Kinesology, homeopath, acupressure and so on). Whatever you choose to do....educate yourself about it first. Talk to other parents doing the treatment and meet their kids.

      Marilyn

      Martin Cowen <mlcowen@...> wrote:
      It's not true.

      You can learn the process, buy the chelators over-
      the-counter, and do the procedure without a doctor
      and without tests on the cheap. You can even order
      the safety tests (liver, kidney, CBC) online without
      a doctor at www.directlabs.com.

      Many of us though have a doctor as a guide and
      safety net.

      Martin

      --- Linda Shepard Salzer <Linda_Shepard@...>
      wrote:

      > And Dana chelated all four of her kids.
      > Linda S S
      >

      > --- On Sat 03/11, danasview < danasview@... >
      > wrote:
      >
      > <tt>
      > --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com,
      > "A_BIT_SOLUTIONS"<BR>
      > <a_bit_solutions@...> wrote:<BR>
      > ><BR>
      > > <BR>
      > > I am about to do a hair test and challenge test to
      > prepare my son for <BR>
      > > chelation. Someone told me that the cost of
      > chleation is $20,000 - <BR>
      > > $40,000 per year!!!! Is that true? I can't
      > imagine that everyone on <BR>
      > > this web site is spending that much money.<BR>
      > <BR>
      > <BR>
      > I spent at most $200 per month. Most months were
      > less than that. I<BR>
      > did not use a doctor, or any tests. I did
      > everything with OTC<BR>
      > supplements, on a conservative protocol.<BR>
      > <BR>
      > Dana<BR>

      > Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

      > Statements posted on this list are for information
      > only,
      > and should NOT be taken as medical advice. If you
      > need
      > medical advice, you should seek it from those who
      > are
      > authorized to give medical advice: doctors.
      >
      > Post message: Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com
      > Subscribe:
      > Autism-Mercury-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      > Unsubscribe:
      > Shortcut URL:
      > Answers to common questions:

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Answers to common questions:

      Mercury detoxification Online medical advice Oppositional defiance Oppositional defiance disorder Free online medical advice

    • noaholiviaian
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 11, 2006
        Out of all our interventions, chelation has been the cheapest!

        We live in a highly taxed state/county with fairly good school
        systems. Several thousand a year on that one.

        ABA, even with state funding, runs us $15000 annually. Without
        funding, we were spending $60K.

        Out of pocket speech therapy is another $400/month.

        Chelation? I spent the big bucks on Lee Silsby TD-DMSA ($120/mo for
        us), $12/mo on ALA and approximately $100/mo on other supplements.
        I see the doctor bi-annually, at a cost of $800-1000. $400 for hair
        tests, about $200 for two urine tests, $400 for bloodwork not
        covered by Medicaid... puts my annual chelation expenses at about
        $2500. Add in a conference or two for another $1000.

        I'll be dropping DMSA over time, so that will cut our expenses
        nearly in half.

        There ARE people who can spend thousands upon thousands on testing,
        boutique supplement blends, monthly doctor phone consults and
        multiple visits to out of state MDs. There was one mom here who
        said she had spent ONE MILLION dollars trying to cure her son (she
        was far from successful). I don't know if anyone remembers that
        conversation!

        I honestly can't even figure out how I'd spend $20K annually on
        chelation. What would I do?

        Pam

        --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "danasview" <danasview@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "A_BIT_SOLUTIONS"
        > <a_bit_solutions@> wrote:
        > >

        > > I am about to do a hair test and challenge test to prepare my
        son for
        > > chelation. Someone told me that the cost of chleation is
        $20,000 -
        > > $40,000 per year!!!! Is that true? I can't imagine that
        everyone on
        > > this web site is spending that much money.
        >

        > I spent at most $200 per month. Most months were less than that.
        > did not use a doctor, or any tests. I did everything with OTC
        > supplements, on a conservative protocol.
        >
        > Dana

      • son2recover
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 11, 2006
          Sometimes I wonder if my son would be ANY different had I not
          started all this DAN treatment. I mean how do we KNOW what is making
          our children better when we are trying so many things at once (ie.
          discreet trials, ABA, biomed stuff, diet, just giving the child ALOT
          of attention and opportunities for socialization). I think the diet
          DOES have to do alot with this and hopefully chelation helps to rid
          of the diet. I will always wonder if AGE has the most to do with it
          as my son is only 2.5 and speech delays are typical at that age and
          many talk around that time. I am not complaining about the $1000S of
          dollars I have spent as if I didnt spend it I would have always
          wondered. I just think that there is ALWAYS someone with a new
          treatment out everyday that is going to heal our children when diet
          and behavior treatments may be the best solutions...

          --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "noaholiviaian"
          <phaselow@...> wrote:

          > Out of all our interventions, chelation has been the cheapest!
          >
          > We live in a highly taxed state/county with fairly good school
          > systems. Several thousand a year on that one.
          >
          > ABA, even with state funding, runs us $15000 annually. Without
          > funding, we were spending $60K.
          >
          > Out of pocket speech therapy is another $400/month.
          >
          > Chelation? I spent the big bucks on Lee Silsby TD-DMSA ($120/mo
          for
          > us), $12/mo on ALA and approximately $100/mo on other
          supplements.
          > I see the doctor bi-annually, at a cost of $800-1000. $400 for
          hair
          > tests, about $200 for two urine tests, $400 for bloodwork not
          > covered by Medicaid... puts my annual chelation expenses at about
          > $2500. Add in a conference or two for another $1000.
          >
          > I'll be dropping DMSA over time, so that will cut our expenses
          > nearly in half.
          >
          > There ARE people who can spend thousands upon thousands on
          testing,
          > boutique supplement blends, monthly doctor phone consults and
          > multiple visits to out of state MDs. There was one mom here who
          > said she had spent ONE MILLION dollars trying to cure her son (she
          > was far from successful). I don't know if anyone remembers that
          > conversation!
          >
          > I honestly can't even figure out how I'd spend $20K annually on
          > chelation. What would I do?
          >
          > Pam
          >

          > --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "danasview" <danasview@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "A_BIT_SOLUTIONS"
          > > <a_bit_solutions@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > I am about to do a hair test and challenge test to prepare my
          > son for
          > > > chelation. Someone told me that the cost of chleation is
          > $20,000 -
          > > > $40,000 per year!!!! Is that true? I can't imagine that
          > everyone on
          > > > this web site is spending that much money.
          > >

          > > I spent at most $200 per month. Most months were less than
          that.
          > > did not use a doctor, or any tests. I did everything with OTC
          > > supplements, on a conservative protocol.
          > >
          > > Dana

        • vicki magee
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 11, 2006
            last two yrs, my son's tab is at $30,000. (that's PER year). this incl biomed treatments, all doctors, and some therapies. just began chelating 5 mos ago. i call him my $6 million dollar man.

            vicki

            ---------------------------------

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 12, 2006
              It's not necessarily true -- unless you have absolutely no insurance
              coverage, are using a doctor that way over-charges and use a boatload of supplements.
              Our insurance paid for everything involved in our chelation except for the
              l-glutathione, mineral and vitamin C supplements. Since we reacted to a lot of
              supplements at that time, we didn't use very many during the process. If
              your child tests to be metals toxic, it should be billed to insurance as such
              since you're treating metals toxicity, not autism.
              Gaylen

            • vicki magee
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 12, 2006
                i was just relaying my particular experience. i have b/c of ca ppo. my out of pocket expenses are still in the $$$ cause i do a LOT. not everyone has to do what i do-- i have a tough nut and so have to put forth a lot more for getting him the necessary help he needs.

                one thing i do that is very costly is a lot of tests. they prove to be most helpful though. my son also is severly apraxic and so he has seen a pvt speech pathologist, phd for over 2 yrs. some ins reimbursement there. i also do a lot of "out of the box" therapies (winding down a little on that)

                vicki

                momtocd@... wrote:
                It's not necessarily true -- unless you have absolutely no insurance
                coverage, are using a doctor that way over-charges and use a boatload of supplements.
                Our insurance paid for everything involved in our chelation except for the
                l-glutathione, mineral and vitamin C supplements. Since we reacted to a lot of
                supplements at that time, we didn't use very many during the process. If
                your child tests to be metals toxic, it should be billed to insurance as such
                since you're treating metals toxicity, not autism.
                Gaylen

                Answers to common questions:

                Mercury detoxification Online medical advice Oppositional defiance Oppositional defiance disorder Free online medical advice

                ---------------------------------

              • dannenedrummond
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 12, 2006
                  what really irks me is that these doctors are totally exploiting us
                  and our situation to make money while offering us minimal help,
                  while caring, knowledgable individuals like Andy are giving us free
                  and more comprehensive help. Doesn't that just really piss you off
                  too??

                  --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, kay edge
                  <jaelen_n_faithsmom@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > <BR>
                  > > Dana<BR>

                  > > Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

                  > > Statements posted on this list are for information
                  > > only,
                  > > and should NOT be taken as medical advice. If you
                  > > need
                  > > medical advice, you should seek it from those who
                  > > are
                  > > authorized to give medical advice: doctors.
                  > >
                  > > Post message: Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com
                  > > Subscribe:
                  > > Autism-Mercury-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  > > Unsubscribe:
                  > > Shortcut URL:
                  > > Answers to common questions:

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  > Answers to common questions:

                  > Mercury detoxification Online medical advice
                  Oppositional defiance Oppositional defiance disorder Free

                  Service.

                • Stephanie Sirr
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 18, 2006
                    No, even if you use IV chelators they cost c$120 a go. You do need to
                    pay for testing but again these are mostly less than $100 a go and
                    theyr'e not all the time. TD and oral chelators don't cost much at
                    all, particularly as the TD stuff tends to really last. EDTA
                    suppositories are $75 a month I think but that's a lot less than $20k
                    a year. Mind you, we've spent about $12,000 in one year but some of
                    that is because we're in the UK and everythign has to be shipped into
                    and out of the US.

                    There are some charlatans out there - better to wait for a good doctor
                    with a reasonable price list than a quack out to make a fast buck.