Re: [Authentic_SCA] period encampment

  • caoilte
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 1, 2001
      Bob Davis wrote:

      > wally meeker wrote:
      >
      > Inns and tents, both no-nos. Inns were few and far between, and not
      > even the military men had tents, except for the grand high
      > muckety-mucks.
      >
      > First, travellers, if not merchants, were few and far between, so there
      > was no real need for an "inn" as we think of it. More likely, a
      > traveller would have found shelter in a monastery's guest house,
      > prevailed upon a local, or just lamented their fate and find a suitable
      > natural shelter.
      >
      > Second, troops were, more often than not, billeted on the locals.
      > Houses, barns, sheds, etc., would all be fileld to the gills with smelly
      > dirty soldiers. And this is after they'd stolen everything that wasn't
      > bolted down, drank all the booze, and, well, taken a liberty or two with
      > those humans with bumps. If you couldn't find a structure to
      > commandeer, you found a suitable natural shelter. Or slept in the rain,
      > where your captain said you slept.
      >
      > Pax,
      >
      > -Bob

      Yet another reason why Asia is superior. Caravansarais!

      Dorje
    • Kass McGann
      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 3, 2001
        > Sennora, is this true?? ha ha! How wonderful! That's taking
        persona-play
        > to cool heights!

        It sure is! When Bob and I went to our first event as a couple, we traveled
        with different people and we hadn't seen each other in a week. But dressed
        as Fujiwara, he couldn't embrace me or even kiss my hand. It was killing me
        not to kiss him of course <blush> but the makeup does make a good deterent.

        It was a Crown Tourney and he was heralding the Lists, but throughout the
        day, he had a messenger bring me flowers and messages and I wrote back poems
        on special paper. At the end of the day, he asked my Master permission to
        Court me. He paid a good price... ;)

        Kass