Re: [Authentic_SCA] period encampment

  • caoilte
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 1, 2001

      Bob Davis wrote:

      Kass McGann wrote:

      > > Like I said a military persona can document an
      > > encampment, but normal people would find a inn or
      > > monastary (Christian world) (Oriental world not my
      > > area)
      >
      > Exactly the problem.  Unless we are camp followers, what are we doing in
      > tents?  (steppes persona notwithstanding)

      My answer to this question?  Do we call them "tents?" No.  We call them
      "pavilions."  Why?  Because this organization is basically The Sir
      Walter Scott Re-Creation Society.  No, don't throw that!  It's true!

      We are all *supposed* to be people of nobility at a tournament/joust.
      That means mucking great pavilions with banners and stuff.  We're
      *supposed* to have pavilions and banners and shiny armour and shields
      and lanterns and pretty ladies in impossible-looking hats.  We *get*
      Sears cabin tents and lawn flags and BMX pads and street signs and
      polyester queens in ball caps.

      Can you tell I'm in A Mood [tm]?

      The short answer: If it doesn't fit your persona, you're SOL.  You can,
      depending how OCD you are, avoid the issue by using the following easy
      methods:

      1.  Don't go to camping events.
      2.  Change your persona to one who should be in a tent.
      3.  Don't go to SCA events; go get involved in a re-enactment group
      which does the things you want to do.
      4.  Ignore what your persona really is, and comply with the SCA
      standard, as is explained in the first paragraph above.
      5.  Tell Bob to bugger off.

      Otherwise, relax, don't worry, and put your persona's face on after you
      get out of the tent.

              -Bob

      Or let one of your personas borrow a tent from another.  I Dorje, shall graciously allow Caoilte to borrow my tent upon occasion since his uncivilized land evidently couldn't manage to invent tents, or at least never told anyone if they did.

      Dorje

      See Kass.  I found a solution!

      Caoilte

    • Kass McGann
      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 3, 2001
        > Sennora, is this true?? ha ha! How wonderful! That's taking
        persona-play
        > to cool heights!

        It sure is! When Bob and I went to our first event as a couple, we traveled
        with different people and we hadn't seen each other in a week. But dressed
        as Fujiwara, he couldn't embrace me or even kiss my hand. It was killing me
        not to kiss him of course <blush> but the makeup does make a good deterent.

        It was a Crown Tourney and he was heralding the Lists, but throughout the
        day, he had a messenger bring me flowers and messages and I wrote back poems
        on special paper. At the end of the day, he asked my Master permission to
        Court me. He paid a good price... ;)

        Kass