Re: [Authentic_SCA] New member: Constance Fairfax - Intro

  • stephen higa
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2001
      > My main field of interest is period music, specifically English secular. I
      > have a masterwork project which I am working on which is a songbook full of
      > period English secular songs (from about 1300-1600, maybe no Ravenscroft)
      > which will eventually be a published songbook. I am an avid teacher of easy
      > period music and a strong advocate of its use in everyday SCA-dom.

      I love you already! I tried to get "Sumer is y-cumen in" going at an event
      but people lost interest. Oh well. When you get that songbook published,
      I'll be first in line to buy it. Vittoria (with a little help from me ;))
      is currently working on an all-period (or period-style) songbook to counter
      the mostly-filk and folk songbook our college group has now.

      > *I
      > PERSONALLY* feel that most SCA-filk belongs at post-revels...not in the feast
      > hall.

      Of course! Nothing irks me more than filks on non-period melodies. Period
      melodies are just as fun! Why not use them????

      > I also teach a "Period Vocal Style" class at Pennsic which I feel is
      > my "biggest contribution to authenticity".

      The re-creation of medieval vocal styles is among my greatest interests!
      Where are you? I'd love to hear some of your stuff! I've been researching
      medieval Iberian vocal techniques (Jewish, Christian, Muslim) and would love
      to show you what I've managed to reconstruct! :)

      Moshe AveniƧmel
      Only a voice,
      A dim voice whispers where the shadow of a man
      Visibly lay, but when I looked
      It had vanished--
      This flickering form...
      Like haze over the fields.

      --Seami Motokiyo (1363-1444)

      ----------
      >From: constancefairfax@...
      >To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Authentic_SCA] New member: Constance Fairfax - Intro
      >Date: Fri, Mar 30, 2001, 9:03 AM
      >

      > Hi-
      >
      > I'm really :( sad that I didn't join this group earlier. :)
      >
      > I understand my husband mentioned he was going to urge me to subscribe, but
      > I'd like to give a little bio anyway.
      >
      > I've been in the SCA for just over 10 years.
      >
      > My main field of interest is period music, specifically English secular. I
      > have a masterwork project which I am working on which is a songbook full of
      > period English secular songs (from about 1300-1600, maybe no Ravenscroft)
      > which will eventually be a published songbook. I am an avid teacher of easy
      > period music and a strong advocate of its use in everyday SCA-dom. *I
      > PERSONALLY* feel that most SCA-filk belongs at post-revels...not in the feast
      > hall. I also teach a "Period Vocal Style" class at Pennsic which I feel is
      > my "biggest contribution to authenticity".
      >
      > The field in which I have "shown the most improvement" since I have joined
      > the SCA is in costuming. I am interested in renaissance English and Flemish
      > (OK, maybe Spanish and French too) clothing.
      >
      > Of course, I've tried my hand at lots of other A&Sy type things. :)
      >
      > :)
      > Constance Fairfax

    • stephen higa
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2001
        > As for lyrics, seems like the classic Elizabethan
        > lute song theme is "I love her, she hates me, I die in
        > despair." I do not compose, but I think a cleverly
        > done parody of this sort of thing could be brilliant.

        Same with troubadour songs. In fact, there was this one by Peire Cardenal
        (c.1205-1272) which makes fun of this, going through all the cliches and
        images used by the typical troubadour canso:

        "I no longer say that I am dying for the most noble lady,
        nor that my fair one makes me languish;
        I neither pray to her nor adore her
        I neither ask for her nor desire her.
        I neither give her any homage
        nor bestow myself on her norhave I given myself to her.
        I am not her submissive serf
        nor does she have my heart as surety.
        I am neither her captive nor her liege man.
        Rather would I say that I have escaped from her..." etc...

        And he uses a ridiculous amount of alliteration: "leu l'er lo larcx laus lag
        loinhatz; ...dreitz drutz del dart d'amor nafratz. Pus pauc pres, pus pres
        es compratz." What do you think of that???? I am loathe to attempt
        performing this, needless to say. ;)

        Moshe

      • constancefairfax@cs.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2001
          > The re-creation of medieval vocal styles is among my greatest interests!
          > Where are you? I'd love to hear some of your stuff! I've been researching
          > medieval Iberian vocal techniques (Jewish, Christian, Muslim) and would
          love
          > to show you what I've managed to reconstruct! :)
          >
          > Moshe AveniƧmel

          Shalom, Moshe! :)

          Iberian! Wow, that's quite an excursion! :) I would love to hear what you
          have. Right now, I live near Detroit, although in September, we are moving
          to Chicago. We go to Pennsic, do you?

          :)
          Constance
        • dannw@pathcom.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 4, 2001
            Greetings,

            As I said, I'm behind in my email but, in the spirit of this list I
            would like to add to her intro. : )

            Constance is doing some good work with her Elizabethan costuming and
            has come up with a list of colours and their DMC (embroidery floss)
            equivalents. : )

            Cheers,
            Gwendoline (waving frantically - "Hi Constance!" <G>)

          • constancefairfax@cs.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 4, 2001
              > Constance is doing some good work with her Elizabethan costuming and
              > has come up with a list of colours and their DMC (embroidery floss)
              > equivalents. : )
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Gwendoline (waving frantically - "Hi Constance!" <G>)

              Looky that. On Vigil and already patting heads. :) Good for you! :)

              :)

              Constance
            • Bob Davis
              Message 6 of 13 , May 2, 2001
                Kass McGann wrote:

                > > As for lyrics, seems like the classic Elizabethan
                > > lute song theme is "I love her, she hates me, I die in
                > > despair." I do not compose, but I think a cleverly
                > > done parody of this sort of thing could be brilliant.
                > > Best of luck with it.
                >
                > <snicker> The 16th century Irish one is (if the writer is male), "Oh...
                > isn't she like a goddess, she must be an otherworldly being, oh... her eyes
                > are like the sea and her hair like flax, oh," or (if the writer if female),
                > "You forgot the little part about your wife and kids!" ;)

                And, of course, there is the entendre of the term "die." You see, in
                Elizabethan England, "to die" meant "to come," as it ...ahem...were.
                For an example, the air "Come again, sweet love doth now invite."

                --
                Robert P. Davis: Brewer, Musician,