Re: [Authentic_SCA] Seams

  • stephen higa
    Message 1 of 54 , Feb 22, 2001
      great, then!

      Moshe
      Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
      menhs en cort que de belh saber
      de trobar -- qu'auzir e vezer
      hi vol hom mais captenhs leugiers
      e critz mesclatz ab dezonor.

      --Guiraut Riquier, 1292

      ----------
      >From: "Kass McGann" <historian@...>
      >To: <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Seams
      >Date: Thu, Feb 22, 2001, 5:33 AM
      >

      >> Thank you so very much for that and the link! That link is great. Just
      >> what I was looking for (well, it would've been better had it been "12th c.
      >> Spanish stitch types" ;)).
      >
      > We take what we can get, Moshe. I will tell you this: many of the same
      > stitches were used on 16th century Irish textiles. I think it's safe to say
      > that they were used in 12th century Spain too. =)
      >
      > Kass
      >

      > This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

    • Beth and Bob Matney
      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 22, 2006
        >What type of clothing-style and colors- were used in 8 - 9 century
        >Franks? Also what type of seams were used and any sites that show how
        >do to them? What information I have found about Franks doesn't give
        >much about clothing styles and colors.

        The only book that I am aware of is:
        Kleidung nach Quellen des frühen Mittelalters : Textilien und Mode von Karl
        dem Grossen bis Heinrich III by Mechthild Müller. Berlin: W. de Gruyter,
        2003. x, 337 p., 20 p. of plates : 80 ill. (some col.) ISBN3110172194

        But a good knowledge of German is essentual. Few illus.
        Detailed study examines textiles and costume during the Carolingian and
        Ottonian periods. Drawing on archaeological, documentary, literary and
        graphic sources, the study examines the clothing of men, women and the
        clergy, decoration, accessories, fabrics, weaving and the manufacture of
        clothing mostly in Germany between 800 and 1050. 337p, 10 col and 10 b/w pls

        Beth of Walnutvale