Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Religion

  • Justin Eiler
    Message 1 of 62 , Feb 22, 2001
      On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:45:48 -0800 "stephen higa"
      <mitsuo@...> writes:

      > > <"Getting back on topic now, gentle moderators.">
      >
      > NO problem. The topic of Wicca in the SCA is one that is
      > very interesting.

      I would probably use the word "problematic" -- and only if I were trying
      to be tactful. For the most part, the "pentacle-at-events" crowd has some
      extremely shoddy ideas of "history," much less "authenticity." All of the
      evidence I've seen points to Wicca being a twentieth-century invention --
      perhaps as far back as the 1880's, but far more likely to be the 1930's.
      Either way you look at it, it's OOP.

      > Like you said, if one wants to portray someone
      > of a pagan religion, one should do it as historically as possible.

      And I've seen it handled historically -- but that's usually the
      exception, not the rule. Usually, the rule is somewhere between the
      protest over the Pennsic medalions and the "My ceremonial robes are
      really Norman T-tunics" crowd.

      I probably sound quite nasty-tempered on that -- and now I _know_ I'm
      getting way off topic.

      Justin W. Eiler -- "Veritas Versus Mundi"
      taliesin_o <AT> juno.com

      NO SPAM: The author of this e-mail will never purchase any product or
      service that is advertised in unsolicited e-mail.
      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • stephen higa
      Message 62 of 62 , Mar 7 4:20 PM
        > It was indeed magical...well, up until a boot came flying out the tent of
        > someone with a hangover and hit the caller!
        >
        > Allaaaaahu akb- ow! :o)

        no, really??

        Okay, I'm going to try it at the next event. Of course, I'll have to wake
        up at dawn, but there you go.

        I don't have a Muslim persona, but no one will know who it is, they'll just
        hear it ringing out. I hope to create "magic moments" for people by doing
        that, especially the Muslim personae who just might follow the summons and
        kneel to face Mecca in prayer.

        Moshe
        Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
        menhs en cort que de belh saber