Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Linguistics project (was Good Morning...)

  • Anthony J. Bryant
    Message 1 of 48 , Jul 2 11:34 AM
      Very interesting project. Here is what I would come up with.

      Hope it's of some amusement. <G>

      > 1) What is your name and hometown? Do I have permission to use your [SCA]
      > name in the written research paper?

      Anthony J. Bryant.
      Bloomington, Indiana

      > 2) What is your SCA name and hometown?

      Edward of Effingham
      Effingham, England

      > 3) How long have you been a member of the SCA?

      25-6 years

      > 4) Do you think that there is a different vocabulary or style of speaking
      > among SCA members? If so, what makes it differ from everyday speech
      > (Standard English)?

      Vocabulary and style of speech are separate issues, I'd think.
      What makes our vocab different is we focus on different things, like any
      group, so we have group-specific jargon (who else calls afternoon-evening
      parties "revels" and weekend camping trips "events"? <G>) and we have special
      in-group definitions for some terms. I'm not one of those who feels "mundane"
      is demeaning. It is verbal shorthand for "non-SCA" in my usage, and in the
      usage I learned. Otherwise, I'd have to be insulting myself when I think, "My
      mundane name is..."

      > 5) What are some of the most common SCA-specific words and phrases? What do
      > they mean? Do you know where they originated?

      The ones that are different from conventional usage:
      Event -- a weekend (or longer) SCA happening sort of thingies
      Revel -- a one day/afternoon/evening SCA party sort of thingie
      Mundane -- (noun or adjective) that which is not SCA (e.g, mundane job vs. SCA
      job)
      Garb -- clothing, specifically in terms of SCA historical. I very seldom
      <wink> call my mundane daywear "garb."
      Office -- job, in terms of the SCA. While the word can also apply outside the
      SCA, I seem to use it more within.
      Eric -- the obnoxious West Kingdom term for the listfield. It's a horribly
      post-period -- but period SCA, as it has its roots in the AS single-digits --
      term.
      Laurel -- like the plant. A Laurel is a "peer" -- a person awarded high honor
      -- for achievement in the arts/sciences. We call him a Laurel because he has
      been awarded the Order of the Laurel.
      Pelican -- ditto Laurel, but a peerage for service, and in common usage, that
      peer.
      Device -- what everyone else calls "coat of arms"
      Arms -- what everyone else calls "coat of arms" <G>

      > 6) Which of these words do you use most often?

      Garb, mundane, and event are the ones I tend to use most often.

      > 7) Are there regional variations on these terms?

      I don't think I've ever observed much regional variation on the more common
      (i.e., universal) SCA terms (event, mundane, revel, etc.), but I know that
      most places don't say "eric" when referring to the field where the fighting
      goes on (thank God).

      One of the other terms with variants seems to be what we as members are
      called. Some say SCAjun (rhymes with Cajun). Some say SCAdian (pron.
      SKAYdee-un). I've always said (since my early days in Trimaris/Meridies in the
      seventies) "SCAer" (Ess-See-Ay-er).

      > 8) Are there stereotypes or archetypes of different sorts of people within
      > the SCA? Are there special terms for this?

      Oh, yeah. The "stickjock" (the SCA version of the highschool football junkie
      athlete) comes to mind. No care for history, none for garb, none for the arts,
      none for dancing -- just putting on armour and swinging stick. Sometimes he
      might have decent armour (because it looks good) but usually the stickjock
      will go for the sports armour (plastics and lightweigh, minimal armour). An
      unfortunate percentage of royalty comes from the stickjock ranks.

      > 9) Are there special titles or terms of address for people of a certain
      > rank or who hold a specific office?

      Squire and man-at-arms (and knight) are our principal martial titles/offices.
      Officially, squires in the SCA are people in a personal training relationship
      with knights, but in some areas it's almost treated like a title. In some
      areas, also, men-at-arms are taken to be to the squires as the squires are to
      the knights.

      There's also "master" and "mistress" which for some stupid SCA reason are
      reserved for peers (mucky mucks) who are the equal of knights in terms of
      arts/sciences achievements and service. Historically, these are middle-class
      titles, but like so many other things the SCA started backwards, so...

      > 10) Do any of the terms in use have a historical basis, or are they made
      > up? If they are historical, does the SCA meaning differ from the term's
      > original meaning, and how?

      Master/mistress (described above) are VERY different in SCA usage. We also
      take "apprentice" as the SCA -equivalent of squire for Laurels (which is
      another term...). Knights have squires whom they train to fight. Laurels have
      apprentices whom they train to do whatever they do artistically. Pelicans have
      protoges whom they train to render service.

      We also call one's heraldry "a device" if that person isn't armigerous, to
      distinguish it from "arms" if the person is. The distinction is totally
      artificial and SCA -- arms is arms. <G>

      > 11) Are there common, SCA-specific acronyms or abbreviations?

      Of course there's the BoD (rhymes with God), the SCA Board of Directors. It's
      not SCA specific, but very SCA intrusive. <G>
      Other than order acronyms (e.g., KSCA = Knight of the SCA), there are quite a
      few.
      MOA = Master/minister/mistress of Arts (and MOS)
      COA = College of Arms (the heralds)
      LOAR = Letter of Acceptances and Rejections (Heraldry stuff, for names/device
      submissions)
      mka = sometimes seen in signatures, after the SCA name and before the "real"
      name... it means "mundanely known as"
      YKYITSCAW = written shorthand: "You know you're in the SCA when" -- it comes
      before an "SCA-moment" story.
      IKA = "Inter-kingdom anthropology"
      A&S = Arts and Sciences

      > 12) Are there any official phrases in foreign languages or widespread use
      > of foreign languages (or a particular language) within the SCA?

      One that is gaining popularity is the concept of the "pas d'arms" -- a type of
      tourney that is more historical than double elim or round robin. <G>

      Some kingdoms have encouraged "Vivant" or "Vivat" as cheers (without, often,
      care being given that people know what is appropriate for plural or singular).
      My kingdom, sadly, has chosen to say "Hoobah!" for cheering....

      There are other things like "behourd" and so on, but I am rather leery of
      calling "foreign" the proper name of something that doesn't exist in English.
      Yes, it's a foreign word, but only because the thing doesn't exist HERE.
      That's how foreign words become English ones...

      > 13) What is/are the official language(s) of the SCA?

      Something vaguely resembling English. I don't know what happens in
      Drachenvald.

      > 14) What are some of the most common specialized words that refer to sword
      > fighting? Costuming? Visual arts?

      Stickjock -- singleminded, single-hobbied fighter.
      Swinging a mean stick -- fighting well.
      "Sitting hat" -- serving a term as royalty (earned on the field)
      "sword and board" -- recognized as modern SCAslang for "sword and shield"
      "twostick" -- fighting with long and short, or just two, swords
      Florentine -- see "twostick" -- a technique so called apparently because only
      Florentines fought with two swords <shrug>
      Frankensteining -- putting armour together with no attention to period and/or
      locale (e.g., gothic knees and elbows, leather Roman lorica, bascinet, hockey
      gloves... (This is my own term, but I've been using it for about twenty years)

      Garb/authenticity nazi -- a term of derision by those with no interest in
      [garb] authenticity to put down people who are interested in authenticity.
      Garb/authenticity snark -- a more polite term of the above, preferred by
      people with taste.
      Garb horse -- tongue-in-cheek SCA equivalent of a clothes-horse.

      My brain is seizing up.

      Hope this helps. <G>

      Edward
    • Ariane Helou
      Message 48 of 48 , Jul 2 11:19 PM
        >We should put together our own list of terms: Frankensteining,
        >pseudo-celtoid filkmonkeys...

        I've been debating whether to put these in (and Celtigoth, too). They are,
        after all, slang terms, and like most slang their usage denotes membership
        in a specific social group (ie, this list) ;-) Maybe I'll use them...and
        credit the originators, of course :-) (Who did the filkmonkey one? Jehanne??)

        Vittoria the pseudo-linguist