RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: New Subscriber's Introduction

  • Christian Gelszus
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
      Greetings and thanks to everyone for your kind words.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
        Steven Proctor wrote:

        > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Christian Gelszus" <cgelszus@g...> wrote:
        > Greetings and thanks to everyone for your kind words.
        >
        > Not a bad idea, but what you get by doing this is a lot of people
        > wearing "basich medieval style" garb. ;o) Interestingly, the majority of
        > my
        > group has focused on the 14th century. So a standard tunic is not the
        > best
        > option. And think about legwear! I always try to convince that braies
        > add to
        > attractivity (sexy legs! ;o) ), but there's still a long way to go. At
        > least most of them will have made their own turnshoes by the end of the
        > year. Also I'm lucky enough to have at least one good example as one of
        > our
        > newbies has done marvellous garb. I could kill him for his cotehardie
        > and hat ...
        > ;o)

        Sounds like you're coming along nicely there. Keep up the good work!

        > However, your post has made me think about putting something together
        > for a leaflet about "A 14th century set of clothes for the beginning
        > SCAdian". Earlier periods seem to be covered pretty intensively (there's
        > lots of
        > viking and high medieval style stuff available here) as well as the
        > 15th century. Time inbetween however has not been treated in the same
        > manner. So if anybody has hints, tips or materials I could base my work
        > upon -
        > just let me know! :o)

        Actually, I'm currently writing (in a rather dilettantish fashion, as my
        time allows) an article for members (now and future) of my household on
        something close to that matter. we're in 1401 at the moment, so it's maybe
        a bit later that you really are looking for, but still, it might help. I'm
        including in it manuscript evidence of clothing as much as I can, working
        out of some of the facsimile mss. in my collection. It's still incomplete,
        but when done I will be putting it up on the web. I'll let you know. If
        you *really* want, I s'pose I could send you the incomplete...

        My best suggestion to you at that look through manuscripts. There's a lot
        of available resource material out there in that vein. I'd also recommend
        a look through
        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/5923/cloth/bockhome.html
        Which has a lot of good information on extant garments for the period
        you're looking at.

        Best of luck!

        Ta

        Morgan

        Rain -- violent torrents of it, rain like fetid water from a God-sized pot
        of pasta strained through a sky-wide colander, rain as Noah knew it,
        flaying the shuddering trees, whipping the whitecapped waters, violating
        the sodden firmament, purging purity and filth alike from the land, rain
        without mercy, without surcease, incontinent rain, turning to intermittent
        showers overnight with partial clearing Tuesday.
      • Marianne Perdomo Machin
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
          Hi Christian!

          Good to see you here! This is Marianne, from the Canaries, fighting for
          the yet-not-quite materialized shire... I see you're doing well and hope
          of doing better! : )

          > And think about legwear! I always try to convince that braies add to attractivity (sexy legs! ;o) ), but there's still a long way to go.

          Can you get women to say so? It might be more convincing for some... ; )

          > However, your post has made me think about putting something together
          > for a leaflet about "A 14th century set of clothes for the beginning
          > SCAdian".

          Excellent idea! I think it's the only way to fight back the "here, just
          make this generic tunic, it's easy enough for a newbie like you"
          attitude.
          Do you know the Edinburgh group? I started there and they used to do
          costume workshops in which (authentically-dressed members) would do a
          tiny fashion show, lets us browse through good costume books (on loan
          from the local libraries) and warn us about bad, re-drawn books. I think
          it really got people on the right track (or maybe it just scared all the
          strictly-phantasy types away...). It worked for me! My first underdress
          is still something I'm proud to wear. : )

          > Earlier periods seem to be covered pretty intensively (there's lots of
          > viking and high medieval style stuff available here) as well as the
          > 15th century.

          Oooh... :) Like you, I'm trying to steer people towards a particular
          period (we have a big templar fan, so I count him as lost for this
          purpose, but the rest seem to agree). In our case it's late 15th c. ...
          do you have a particular site in mind?
          I know there are several that are useful: Cynthia Virtue's, Kass' and a
          bunch of others have excellent practical articles and the one from the
          Company of St. George is also good for an overview... But is there
          anything like a comprehensive guide to 15th c. costume that you know of?
          I'd like to do a compilation on 15th c. life, including costume, with
          small introductory paragraphs, then suggesting websites, books, etc...

          What sort of info are you missing for your 14th c. guide? You do know
          the sites I mentioned, right? The first two are probably useful for 14th
          c. too.

          All the best,

          Marianne /Leonor
        • rowengr@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
            --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Marianne Perdomo Machin <marianne@c...>
            wrote:
            > Do you know the Edinburgh group? I started there and they used to do
            > costume workshops in which (authentically-dressed members) would do
            >a tiny fashion show, lets us browse through good costume books (on
            >loan from the local libraries) and warn us about bad, re-drawn books.
            >I think it really got people on the right track
            <snip>

            Sounds like a lovely group. There's a good chance I may find myself
            in Edinburgh this fall (no exact date) - is there anyone there who you
            think like might like to touch bases with other SCA-folk if we find
            ourselves with a bit of free time?

            Rowen
          • Sunny Medlock
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
              >--- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Marianne Perdomo Machin <marianne@c...>
              >wrote:
              >> Do you know the Edinburgh group? I started there and they used to do
              >> costume workshops in which (authentically-dressed members) would do
              >>a tiny fashion show, lets us browse through good costume books (on
              >>loan from the local libraries) and warn us about bad, re-drawn books.
              >>I think it really got people on the right track
              ><snip>
              >
              >Sounds like a lovely group. There's a good chance I may find myself
              >in Edinburgh this fall (no exact date) - is there anyone there who you
              >think like might like to touch bases with other SCA-folk if we find
              >ourselves with a bit of free time?
              >
              >Rowen

              Ooh! Ooh! I know someone! Wolfgang Adolphus Jager (I'm sure I spelled his
              name wrong). He's way cool, and has the coolest garb. I first met him at
              Kingdom University where I asked him if I could use him as an example for
              his tights. They were great :) and convinced a friend that real, period
              tights could be cool and manly. He's also got at pourpoint that I have
              been dying to make. It's styled after Charles du Blois. He was the first
              person I ever met that did really authentic stuff and was very inspiring.
              You definately have to meet him (I think he's the seneshal there)

              Elisabetta
            • rowengr@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Sunny Medlock <sunnyday@m...> wrote:
                > Ooh! Ooh! I know someone! Wolfgang Adolphus Jager (I'm sure I
                spelled his
                > name wrong). He's way cool, and has the coolest garb. I first met
                him at
                > Kingdom University where I asked him if I could use him as an
                example for
                > his tights. They were great :) and convinced a friend that real,
                period
                > tights could be cool and manly. He's also got at pourpoint that I
                have
                > been dying to make. It's styled after Charles du Blois. He was the
                first
                > person I ever met that did really authentic stuff and was very
                inspiring.
                > You definately have to meet him (I think he's the seneshal there)
                >
                > Elisabetta

                Thanks - sounds like a fine gentleman. I've also been poking around
                the Drachenwald website & found the group's web page (which had many
                good links.)

                Rowen
              • Marianne Perdomo Machin
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 3, 2001
                  rowengr@... wrote:

                  > Sounds like a lovely group. There's a good chance I may find myself
                  > in Edinburgh this fall (no exact date) - is there anyone there who you
                  > think like might like to touch bases with other SCA-folk if we find
                  > ourselves with a bit of free time?

                  Probably. They tend to have regular dance and fighting practices. Unless they
                  have changed their schedule, they do dance on Fridays and fighting on
                  Sundays. I'm not sure how many other meetings they have, as they're quite a
                  small group and tend to do things at people's houses and such.
                  If you like dancing or music it's a great place to go, cozy and small but
                  with good stuff. Mistress Caitlin and Otto (sorry, don't know what titles he
                  has, probably Master) have constructed a number of period instruments and
                  play things like cantigas on their violas (built from kits). They also do a
                  lot of period dancing: with, probably, 15th c. Italian being predominant.
                  Since I learnt to dance there and have had little contact with other groups I
                  have never even seen Hole in the Wall and other way-put-of-period, though
                  they do dance the SCA inventions. If you like more modern dancing there are
                  usually dancing ceilidhs you can go to, so it's not like you can't do them
                  over there.
                  And yes, they have great garb. Even great loaner garb.
                  They also have a great way of showing how 15th c. chemise construction goes
                  (the type of construction Kass shows in her page). They do a little paper
                  model, cutting all the pieces and putting them together with cello tape as if
                  you were sewing it. It really helped me visualize the shape and how it was
                  meant to look in the end.

                  What I'd do is check out their webpage and write to whoever is now the
                  contact person and let them know when you're going there and that ypu're
                  interested in meeting them and attending something.

                  I've been wanting to visit them for some time now but the stupid airlines
                  just aren't cooperating... Why can't we have affordable teletransportation?
                  :)

                  Marianne