Re: Good Morning...

  • historian@reconstructinghistory.com
    Message 1 of 48 , Jul 2, 2001
      > I'll trade you some of our weather for some of your weather? It's
      > been in the upper 90s, about 35% humidity (which is downright muggy
      > for Denver) and bone dry. We have three middlin' sized forest
      fires
      > in the state at the moment. At least, since we're technically
      > high-desert climate, things cool down at night.

      I see your humidity and raise you about 60 percentage points! Denver
      sounds like Paradise to me, Rowen! ;)

      We did the American Beer Month Rally in Center City Philadelphia on
      Friday in 100 degree heat and high humidity in wool American Colonial
      clothing. Then we fired the cannon at Fort Mifflin all day Saturday
      in the same kind of heat but we wore out linen outfits. We still did
      not remove our jackets because it is unseemly to run around in a
      shirt and a shirt. I'm not saying some women didn't, but we most
      certainly restrained ourselves.

      Fort Mifflin, bless them, had free spring water on ice all day and we
      opened a new bottle as soon as we finished the previous one. Bob and
      I are usually very heat sensitive, but both of us kept dehydration at
      bay by forcing each other to keep drinking. And let me tell you,
      manning two cannon is not "cool" work...

      I'm telling you, guys. I kept cool because my skin was covered. I
      had a linen neckerchief over my shoulders, a cap on my head, and
      thick cotton stockings on my feet. My lower arms and hands suffered
      most from the heat precisely because they were exposed to the air.

      Kass
    • Ariane Helou
      Message 48 of 48 , Jul 2, 2001
        >We should put together our own list of terms: Frankensteining,
        >pseudo-celtoid filkmonkeys...

        I've been debating whether to put these in (and Celtigoth, too). They are,
        after all, slang terms, and like most slang their usage denotes membership
        in a specific social group (ie, this list) ;-) Maybe I'll use them...and
        credit the originators, of course :-) (Who did the filkmonkey one? Jehanne??)

        Vittoria the pseudo-linguist