Re: New Subscriber's Introduction

  • wodeford@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
      Jehanne de Wodeford of Rusted Woodlands sends greetings to her
      countryman, William of Llanwarne. Welcome to the madhouse that is our
      list.

      Yes, you will find that the SCA does attract the fantasy fan element.
      You may be able to show some of them that the pursuit of more
      authentic activities is worthwhile, however, you WILL encounter the
      ones who will accuse you of spoiling their fun because all they want
      out of the SCA is a chance to dress up in sparkly costumes and hang
      out with their friends. Try not to let them discourage you. The SCA
      is different things to different people.

      Best of luck in your efforts for your new group.

      Jehanne
    • Christian Gelszus
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
        Greetings and thanks to everyone for your kind words.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
          Steven Proctor wrote:

          > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Christian Gelszus" <cgelszus@g...> wrote:
          > Greetings and thanks to everyone for your kind words.
          >
          > Not a bad idea, but what you get by doing this is a lot of people
          > wearing "basich medieval style" garb. ;o) Interestingly, the majority of
          > my
          > group has focused on the 14th century. So a standard tunic is not the
          > best
          > option. And think about legwear! I always try to convince that braies
          > add to
          > attractivity (sexy legs! ;o) ), but there's still a long way to go. At
          > least most of them will have made their own turnshoes by the end of the
          > year. Also I'm lucky enough to have at least one good example as one of
          > our
          > newbies has done marvellous garb. I could kill him for his cotehardie
          > and hat ...
          > ;o)

          Sounds like you're coming along nicely there. Keep up the good work!

          > However, your post has made me think about putting something together
          > for a leaflet about "A 14th century set of clothes for the beginning
          > SCAdian". Earlier periods seem to be covered pretty intensively (there's
          > lots of
          > viking and high medieval style stuff available here) as well as the
          > 15th century. Time inbetween however has not been treated in the same
          > manner. So if anybody has hints, tips or materials I could base my work
          > upon -
          > just let me know! :o)

          Actually, I'm currently writing (in a rather dilettantish fashion, as my
          time allows) an article for members (now and future) of my household on
          something close to that matter. we're in 1401 at the moment, so it's maybe
          a bit later that you really are looking for, but still, it might help. I'm
          including in it manuscript evidence of clothing as much as I can, working
          out of some of the facsimile mss. in my collection. It's still incomplete,
          but when done I will be putting it up on the web. I'll let you know. If
          you *really* want, I s'pose I could send you the incomplete...

          My best suggestion to you at that look through manuscripts. There's a lot
          of available resource material out there in that vein. I'd also recommend
          a look through
          http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/5923/cloth/bockhome.html
          Which has a lot of good information on extant garments for the period
          you're looking at.

          Best of luck!

          Ta

          Morgan

          Rain -- violent torrents of it, rain like fetid water from a God-sized pot
          of pasta strained through a sky-wide colander, rain as Noah knew it,
          flaying the shuddering trees, whipping the whitecapped waters, violating
          the sodden firmament, purging purity and filth alike from the land, rain
          without mercy, without surcease, incontinent rain, turning to intermittent
          showers overnight with partial clearing Tuesday.
        • Marianne Perdomo Machin
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
            Hi Christian!

            Good to see you here! This is Marianne, from the Canaries, fighting for
            the yet-not-quite materialized shire... I see you're doing well and hope
            of doing better! : )

            > And think about legwear! I always try to convince that braies add to attractivity (sexy legs! ;o) ), but there's still a long way to go.

            Can you get women to say so? It might be more convincing for some... ; )

            > However, your post has made me think about putting something together
            > for a leaflet about "A 14th century set of clothes for the beginning
            > SCAdian".

            Excellent idea! I think it's the only way to fight back the "here, just
            make this generic tunic, it's easy enough for a newbie like you"
            attitude.
            Do you know the Edinburgh group? I started there and they used to do
            costume workshops in which (authentically-dressed members) would do a
            tiny fashion show, lets us browse through good costume books (on loan
            from the local libraries) and warn us about bad, re-drawn books. I think
            it really got people on the right track (or maybe it just scared all the
            strictly-phantasy types away...). It worked for me! My first underdress
            is still something I'm proud to wear. : )

            > Earlier periods seem to be covered pretty intensively (there's lots of
            > viking and high medieval style stuff available here) as well as the
            > 15th century.

            Oooh... :) Like you, I'm trying to steer people towards a particular
            period (we have a big templar fan, so I count him as lost for this
            purpose, but the rest seem to agree). In our case it's late 15th c. ...
            do you have a particular site in mind?
            I know there are several that are useful: Cynthia Virtue's, Kass' and a
            bunch of others have excellent practical articles and the one from the
            Company of St. George is also good for an overview... But is there
            anything like a comprehensive guide to 15th c. costume that you know of?
            I'd like to do a compilation on 15th c. life, including costume, with
            small introductory paragraphs, then suggesting websites, books, etc...

            What sort of info are you missing for your 14th c. guide? You do know
            the sites I mentioned, right? The first two are probably useful for 14th
            c. too.

            All the best,

            Marianne /Leonor
          • rowengr@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Marianne Perdomo Machin <marianne@c...>
              wrote:
              > Do you know the Edinburgh group? I started there and they used to do
              > costume workshops in which (authentically-dressed members) would do
              >a tiny fashion show, lets us browse through good costume books (on
              >loan from the local libraries) and warn us about bad, re-drawn books.
              >I think it really got people on the right track
              <snip>

              Sounds like a lovely group. There's a good chance I may find myself
              in Edinburgh this fall (no exact date) - is there anyone there who you
              think like might like to touch bases with other SCA-folk if we find
              ourselves with a bit of free time?

              Rowen
            • Sunny Medlock
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
                >--- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Marianne Perdomo Machin <marianne@c...>
                >wrote:
                >> Do you know the Edinburgh group? I started there and they used to do
                >> costume workshops in which (authentically-dressed members) would do
                >>a tiny fashion show, lets us browse through good costume books (on
                >>loan from the local libraries) and warn us about bad, re-drawn books.
                >>I think it really got people on the right track
                ><snip>
                >
                >Sounds like a lovely group. There's a good chance I may find myself
                >in Edinburgh this fall (no exact date) - is there anyone there who you
                >think like might like to touch bases with other SCA-folk if we find
                >ourselves with a bit of free time?
                >
                >Rowen

                Ooh! Ooh! I know someone! Wolfgang Adolphus Jager (I'm sure I spelled his
                name wrong). He's way cool, and has the coolest garb. I first met him at
                Kingdom University where I asked him if I could use him as an example for
                his tights. They were great :) and convinced a friend that real, period
                tights could be cool and manly. He's also got at pourpoint that I have
                been dying to make. It's styled after Charles du Blois. He was the first
                person I ever met that did really authentic stuff and was very inspiring.
                You definately have to meet him (I think he's the seneshal there)

                Elisabetta
              • rowengr@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Sunny Medlock <sunnyday@m...> wrote:
                  > Ooh! Ooh! I know someone! Wolfgang Adolphus Jager (I'm sure I
                  spelled his
                  > name wrong). He's way cool, and has the coolest garb. I first met
                  him at
                  > Kingdom University where I asked him if I could use him as an
                  example for
                  > his tights. They were great :) and convinced a friend that real,
                  period
                  > tights could be cool and manly. He's also got at pourpoint that I
                  have
                  > been dying to make. It's styled after Charles du Blois. He was the
                  first
                  > person I ever met that did really authentic stuff and was very
                  inspiring.
                  > You definately have to meet him (I think he's the seneshal there)
                  >
                  > Elisabetta

                  Thanks - sounds like a fine gentleman. I've also been poking around
                  the Drachenwald website & found the group's web page (which had many
                  good links.)

                  Rowen
                • Marianne Perdomo Machin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 3, 2001
                    rowengr@... wrote:

                    > Sounds like a lovely group. There's a good chance I may find myself
                    > in Edinburgh this fall (no exact date) - is there anyone there who you
                    > think like might like to touch bases with other SCA-folk if we find
                    > ourselves with a bit of free time?

                    Probably. They tend to have regular dance and fighting practices. Unless they
                    have changed their schedule, they do dance on Fridays and fighting on
                    Sundays. I'm not sure how many other meetings they have, as they're quite a
                    small group and tend to do things at people's houses and such.
                    If you like dancing or music it's a great place to go, cozy and small but
                    with good stuff. Mistress Caitlin and Otto (sorry, don't know what titles he
                    has, probably Master) have constructed a number of period instruments and
                    play things like cantigas on their violas (built from kits). They also do a
                    lot of period dancing: with, probably, 15th c. Italian being predominant.
                    Since I learnt to dance there and have had little contact with other groups I
                    have never even seen Hole in the Wall and other way-put-of-period, though
                    they do dance the SCA inventions. If you like more modern dancing there are
                    usually dancing ceilidhs you can go to, so it's not like you can't do them
                    over there.
                    And yes, they have great garb. Even great loaner garb.
                    They also have a great way of showing how 15th c. chemise construction goes
                    (the type of construction Kass shows in her page). They do a little paper
                    model, cutting all the pieces and putting them together with cello tape as if
                    you were sewing it. It really helped me visualize the shape and how it was
                    meant to look in the end.

                    What I'd do is check out their webpage and write to whoever is now the
                    contact person and let them know when you're going there and that ypu're
                    interested in meeting them and attending something.

                    I've been wanting to visit them for some time now but the stupid airlines
                    just aren't cooperating... Why can't we have affordable teletransportation?
                    :)

                    Marianne