Jumping off a friggin' bridge

  • historian@reconstructinghistory.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
      Hello friends,

      I just have to share my exasperation this morning with you all.

      First, I get an email from a woman who wants to know what the Irish
      wore around the time of Brian Boru. Not a lot of information on the
      subject, but I gave her a few sources. Then she goes on to tell me
      that she is "the last of [her] Druid line". EXCUSE ME?!?!?!
      Druids. In Ireland. 600 years after the establishment of
      Christianity... Sometimes I wish people would do their research
      somewhere other than the New Age section of Waldenbooks...

      Then, to add insult to injury, Brynn tells me that a wonderful five
      day class on Celtic Knotwork Embroidery is being offered at Pennsic.
      Why don't we offer classes on making clothing out of lycra while
      we're at it?

      Alot of people may argue that I can't prove that celtic knotwork
      embroidery wasn't used or that druids didn't survive in 10th century
      Ireland. But in every academic discipline in the world, the onus is
      not upon me to prove a negative. The burden of proof is upon the
      perpetrator of these falacies to prove that they DID exist.

      I'm sickened this morning. Absolutely sickened...

      Kass
    • wodeford@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., historian@r... wrote:

        > Then she goes on to tell me
        > that she is "the last of [her] Druid line".
        It's OK, Kass. My Grandmother was the Queen of Faerie. (And kept me
        firmly convinced of it until I was about nine.)

        > Druids. In Ireland. 600 years after the establishment of
        > Christianity... Sometimes I wish people would do their research
        > somewhere other than the New Age section of Waldenbooks...
        Like the person on the SCA Bards list who was complaining of male,
        aristocratic, Eurocentric Christian bias in a synopsis I'd furnished
        on the Albigensian Crusade. Which happened in 13th century France and
        involved at least SOME of male, aristocratic, European Christians.

        > Then, to add insult to injury, Brynn tells me that a wonderful five
        > day class on Celtic Knotwork Embroidery is being offered at
        Pennsic.
        > Why don't we offer classes on making clothing out of lycra while
        > we're at it?
        Let's not give anybody any ideas! Remember, the only qualification
        one has to teach in the SCA is to volunteer. The volunteer does not
        have to have any clue as to what they're teaching.

        > I'm sickened this morning. Absolutely sickened...
        That's OK. Next Saturday, I am attending a demo where the kilt
        wearing individual who set up said demo has requested that all the
        ladies wear their lowest cut bodices to cheer up the retired firemen
        we're going to entertain. I smiled and nodded and said, "Sure, no
        problem." And I fully intend to wear early period attire, complete
        with veil and wimple and come armed with the hurdy gurdy. And if he
        gives me grief about it, I will agree to dress like a RenFaire wench
        if he can furnish definitive proof that anybody dressed that way in
        the 13th century.

        Remember, that link is www.notmyproblemifyoudontlisten.com

        Jehanne
      • historian@reconstructinghistory.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
          > Like the person on the SCA Bards list who was complaining of male,
          > aristocratic, Eurocentric Christian bias in a synopsis I'd
          furnished
          > on the Albigensian Crusade. Which happened in 13th century France
          and
          > involved at least SOME of male, aristocratic, European Christians.

          Same bunch of people, I'm quite sure...

          > Let's not give anybody any ideas! Remember, the only qualification
          > one has to teach in the SCA is to volunteer. The volunteer does not
          > have to have any clue as to what they're teaching.

          I just can't understand why we choose to perpetuate untruths...

          > That's OK. Next Saturday, I am attending a demo where the kilt
          > wearing individual who set up said demo has requested that all the
          > ladies wear their lowest cut bodices to cheer up the retired
          firemen
          > we're going to entertain. I smiled and nodded and said, "Sure, no
          > problem." And I fully intend to wear early period attire, complete
          > with veil and wimple and come armed with the hurdy gurdy. And if he
          > gives me grief about it, I will agree to dress like a RenFaire
          wench
          > if he can furnish definitive proof that anybody dressed that way in
          > the 13th century.

          I'm bleeding from my ears at the thought, Jehanne...

          > Remember, that link is www.notmyproblemifyoudontlisten.com

          Amen...

          Kass
        • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
            > Let's not give anybody any ideas! Remember, the only qualification one has to teach in the SCA is to volunteer. The volunteer does not have to have any clue as to what they're teaching.

            I just can't understand why we choose to perpetuate untruths...

            Because some people find this fun.  Some people desperately want to believe that these are truths. Some people find this to be what they want to do so much that they will tell you they don't care if it's right or not, they like it and they're going to do it.

            A volunteer has decided that it is fun and that she wants others to know the fun of something that she does.

            Despina

          • Guernen Cimarguid
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
              > Druids. In Ireland. 600 years after the establishment of
              > Christianity... Sometimes I wish people would do their research
              > somewhere other than the New Age section of Waldenbooks...

              mmm -- Kass? They were around for some time in some capacity, post-
              Cristianity. They're in the Brehon laws stuff I was reading last
              week (while searching for information on traveling musicians).

              Guernen
            • L Joseph
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                --- historian@... wrote:
                > I just can't understand why we choose to perpetuate
                > untruths...
                "Whaddya mean we, Kimosabe?" You are already, to my
                knowledge, doing the best you can to do what you do.
                You can't be responsible for the entire world. Don't
                try. The aneurysm isn't worth it.

                > I'm bleeding from my ears at the thought, Jehanne...
                Why? I'm safe. It's not like he's going to be able to
                prove Ren Wench bodices are period for my persona.
                Hey, it's not like he'd TRY to prove it. He obviously
                hasn't bothered to research the great kilt. I'm very,
                very safe. ;->

                Jehanne

                =====
                Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

                http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
              • historian@reconstructinghistory.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                  > A volunteer has decided that it is fun and that she wants others to
                  know
                  > the fun of something that she does.

                  Then it belongs in an arts and crafts class in an organization not
                  associated with history. The things we do in the SCA should be fun
                  but should also have been done historically.

                  Kass
                • rowengr@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., historian@r... wrote:
                    > Hello friends,
                    >
                    > I just have to share my exasperation this morning with you all.

                    Go for it. :)

                    > First, I get an email from a woman who wants to know what the Irish
                    > wore around the time of Brian Boru. Not a lot of information on the
                    > subject, but I gave her a few sources. Then she goes on to tell me
                    > that she is "the last of [her] Druid line". EXCUSE ME?!?!?!

                    Sigh - famtrads. (This is shorthand for folk who insist that their
                    particular set of beliefs has continued in an "unbroken line" from
                    whatever point they've picked to start at.) One of my favorites was
                    the woman who told me that her "line" was traceable to neolithic
                    roots. Well... we all have "neolithic roots" if you think about it.
                    But I doubt anything (except maybe a stray gene link or two) has
                    "continued unbroken." Sheesh.

                    > Druids. In Ireland. 600 years after the establishment of
                    > Christianity... Sometimes I wish people would do their research
                    > somewhere other than the New Age section of Waldenbooks...

                    I think you can also blame any number of "the ancient order of
                    woss'names" that rose up in the 19th century.... Maybe her
                    great-grandad decided in about 1879 that he was "really" a Druid, and
                    passed the notion down the fmaily? (Well, it was a thought.)

                    > But in every academic discipline in the world, the onus is
                    > not upon me to prove a negative. The burden of proof is upon the
                    > perpetrator of these falacies to prove that they DID exist.

                    Or at least provide some indication that there was a teeny
                    possibility? <g>

                    Computer ate my first attempt, so let's see if this gets through...

                    Rowen
                  • rowengr@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Guernen Cimarguid" <Gwernin@a...> wrote:

                      > > Druids. In Ireland. 600 years after the establishment of
                      > > Christianity... Sometimes I wish people would do their research
                      > > somewhere other than the New Age section of Waldenbooks...
                      > >

                      > mmm -- Kass? They were around for some time in some capacity, post-
                      > Christianity. They're in the Brehon laws stuff I was reading last
                      > week (while searching for information on traveling musicians).
                      >
                      > Guernen

                      Mmm, I remember seeing some of that a while back... but I got the
                      impression that the lady in question wasn't claiming it for her
                      persona - she was claiming it for her 20th-21st century self.

                      Rowen
                    • Guernen Cimarguid
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., rowengr@h... wrote:
                        > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Guernen Cimarguid" <Gwernin@a...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > Druids. In Ireland. 600 years after the establishment of
                        > > > Christianity... Sometimes I wish people would do their
                        research
                        > > > somewhere other than the New Age section of Waldenbooks...
                        > > >

                        > > mmm -- Kass? They were around for some time in some capacity,
                        post-
                        > > Christianity. They're in the Brehon laws stuff I was reading
                        last
                        > > week (while searching for information on traveling musicians).
                        > >
                        > > Guernen
                        >
                        > Mmm, I remember seeing some of that a while back... but I got the
                        > impression that the lady in question wasn't claiming it for her
                        > persona - she was claiming it for her 20th-21st century self.
                        >
                        > Rowen

                        Oh, I wasn't supporting her claims, just pointing out that druids per
                        se apparantly did not instantly vanish when Christianity arrived.
                        I'll have to check, but I think the law manuscripts being quoted in
                        the text I was reading were 8th-9th(?) century.

                        guernen
                      • Anthony J. Bryant
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                          rowengr@... wrote:

                          > Sigh - famtrads. (This is shorthand for folk who insist that their
                          > particular set of beliefs has continued in an "unbroken line" from
                          > whatever point they've picked to start at.) One of my favorites was
                          > the woman who told me that her "line" was traceable to neolithic
                          > roots. Well... we all have "neolithic roots" if you think about it.
                          > But I doubt anything (except maybe a stray gene link or two) has
                          > "continued unbroken." Sheesh.

                          I can actually remember telling someone once... many years ago.... "Please
                          go away."

                          It's the only time in my SCA career to my recollection I've ever done so. He
                          was going on and on about the ninjasamurai martial tradition and spouting
                          such drek (hey, he knew all this... he'd studied at a secret ninja dojo in
                          Georgia) that I could only stare at him in dumbstruck fashion for about
                          thirty seconds. "Please go away."

                          > > Druids. In Ireland. 600 years after the establishment of
                          > > Christianity... Sometimes I wish people would do their research
                          > > somewhere other than the New Age section of Waldenbooks...
                          >
                          > I think you can also blame any number of "the ancient order of
                          > woss'names" that rose up in the 19th century.... Maybe her
                          > great-grandad decided in about 1879 that he was "really" a Druid, and
                          > passed the notion down the fmaily? (Well, it was a thought.)

                          No, it's newage books and authors making money off of gullible, credulous
                          people with esteem issues and... heck, you've see 'em.

                          > > But in every academic discipline in the world, the onus is
                          > > not upon me to prove a negative. The burden of proof is upon the
                          > > perpetrator of these falacies to prove that they DID exist.
                          >
                          > Or at least provide some indication that there was a teeny
                          > possibility? <g>

                          How can they, since the eeeeeeeeeeevuuuuulllll Kattlick Church has destroyed
                          all the records? Sigh.

                          Effingham
                        • L Joseph
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                            > It's the only time in my SCA career to my
                            > recollection I've ever done so. He
                            > was going on and on about the ninjasamurai martial
                            > tradition and spouting
                            > such drek (hey, he knew all this... he'd studied at
                            > a secret ninja dojo in
                            > Georgia) that I could only stare at him in
                            > dumbstruck fashion for about
                            > thirty seconds. "Please go away."

                            Um, if it was a secret ninja dojo, how could he tell
                            you about it?

                            > How can they, since the eeeeeeeeeeevuuuuulllll
                            > Kattlick Church has destroyed all the records? Sigh.
                            Wait a minute, what were all those hunchbacked
                            nearsighted monks copying all this time then? I'm
                            SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO confused. I'd better go hug a
                            crystal. It'll make me feel better.

                            Jehanne

                            =====

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                              > Oh, I wasn't supporting her claims, just pointing out that druids
                              per
                              > se apparantly did not instantly vanish when Christianity arrived.
                              > I'll have to check, but I think the law manuscripts being quoted in
                              > the text I was reading were 8th-9th(?) century.

                              Yes, but unless I'm mistaken, Guernen, the Druids mentioned in the
                              8th and 9th century manuscripts weren't purported to be magic users
                              or priests of some other religion. They were judges, doctors,
                              lawyers, genealogists...

                              Undoubtedly the role of Druids lasted well into the Christian era.
                              But this poor unread soul is imagining herself the last of a
                              hereditary priesthood in the 10th century and that is a claim I
                              cannot and will not support.

                              Kass
                            • rowengr@hotmail.com
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., historian@r... wrote:
                                > > Oh, I wasn't supporting her claims, just pointing out that druids
                                > per
                                > > se apparantly did not instantly vanish when Christianity arrived.

                                > > I'll have to check, but I think the law manuscripts being quoted
                                in
                                > > the text I was reading were 8th-9th(?) century.
                                >
                                > Yes, but unless I'm mistaken, Guernen, the Druids mentioned in the
                                > 8th and 9th century manuscripts weren't purported to be magic users
                                > or priests of some other religion. They were judges, doctors,
                                > lawyers, genealogists...

                                Right. Oh, gee, I just realized it's another one of those terms /
                                titles (like "bard") that's getting appropriated and misused out the
                                wazoo.... (arrgh!)

                                > Undoubtedly the role of Druids lasted well into the Christian era.
                                > But this poor unread soul is imagining herself the last of a
                                > hereditary priesthood in the 10th century and that is a claim I
                                > cannot and will not support.

                                Er, I doubt Guernen would either... (or me.)

                                Rowen
                              • Guernen Cimarguid
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                                  I think we have two separate topics here:

                                  (1) were there still druids in post-christian irelands, and if so,
                                  what did they do?

                                  (2) is there any likelihood of (to put it loosely) valid lineal
                                  descendants of that tradition, whatever it was?

                                  > Yes, but unless I'm mistaken, Guernen, the Druids mentioned in the
                                  > 8th and 9th century manuscripts weren't purported to be magic users
                                  > or priests of some other religion. They were judges, doctors,
                                  > lawyers, genealogists...

                                  [question 1] This doesn't square with what I remember reading -- I'll
                                  check my reference tonight & get back to you.

                                  > Undoubtedly the role of Druids lasted well into the Christian era.
                                  > But this poor unread soul is imagining herself the last of a
                                  > hereditary priesthood in the 10th century and that is a claim I
                                  > cannot and will not support.
                                  >
                                  > Kass

                                  [question 2] I'm inclined to agree with you (& Rowen) on that one.

                                  Gwernin
                                  (thanking all the gods for air conditioning, and therefore glad to be
                                  at work today)
                                • historian@reconstructinghistory.com
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                                    > I think we have two separate topics here:
                                    >
                                    > (1) were there still druids in post-christian irelands, and if so,
                                    > what did they do?
                                    >
                                    > (2) is there any likelihood of (to put it loosely) valid lineal
                                    > descendants of that tradition, whatever it was?

                                    Well, yes. That is true. But I don't think the lady in question was
                                    claiming to be a modern Druid. She *was* talking about her SCA
                                    persona. Of that I am quite certain.

                                    > [question 1] This doesn't square with what I remember reading --
                                    I'll
                                    > check my reference tonight & get back to you.

                                    I would appreciate it.

                                    In all my reading upon the subject of Druids, the only people who I
                                    have ever heard agree about what the term even means are the New
                                    Agers. Scholars still aren't sure what the term "Druid" meant to the
                                    ancient Irish. And of course the Victorian revivalists did us no
                                    favours with their renditions of the truth in the 19th century.

                                    In my reading of old texts, the term seems to cover alot more ground
                                    than we would like. Meaning it doesn't fit nicely into modern
                                    categories of "priest" or "lawyer" or "wiseman"...

                                    > [question 2] I'm inclined to agree with you (& Rowen) on that one.
                                    >
                                    > Gwernin
                                    > (thanking all the gods for air conditioning, and therefore glad to
                                    be
                                    > at work today)

                                    Oh I hear THAT! Though it was very nice and cool this morning, I'm
                                    sure it's hot again now...

                                    Kass
                                  • Anthony J. Bryant
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                                      L Joseph wrote:

                                      > Um, if it was a secret ninja dojo, how could he tell
                                      > you about it?

                                      Pretty clearly, he was a bad student. <G>

                                      > > How can they, since the eeeeeeeeeeevuuuuulllll
                                      > > Kattlick Church has destroyed all the records? Sigh.
                                      > Wait a minute, what were all those hunchbacked
                                      > nearsighted monks copying all this time then? I'm
                                      > SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO confused. I'd better go hug a
                                      > crystal. It'll make me feel better.

                                      LOL! <G>

                                      Effingham
                                    • rowengr@hotmail.com
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                                        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., L Joseph <wodeford@y...> wrote:
                                        > I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO confused. I'd better go hug a
                                        > crystal. It'll make me feel better.
                                        >
                                        > Jehanne

                                        Trees are more fun to hug.... and gentlemen are better yet. <g>

                                        I once encountered an, er, individual, who claimed to have
                                        "rediscovered the lost Dorian mode" and who performed a song he had
                                        written about the "fall of Atlantis" which contained the line "I don't
                                        like the way you're pointin' that crystal at me"....

                                        Rowen
                                      • L Joseph
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                                          --- rowengr@... wrote:
                                          > Trees are more fun to hug.... and gentlemen are
                                          > better yet. <g>
                                          Well, yeah! And being as my gentleman and I are trying
                                          to figure out the long distance thing, I'm distinctly
                                          hug deprived. For the record, I am completely
                                          oblivious to presences, vibrations, nexuses(nexi?) and
                                          all that stuff. Put a crystal in my hand and it's a
                                          rock. I won't say the paranormal doesn't happen, but
                                          it certainly doesn't happen to me.

                                          Jehanne the forever warped by a Judeo Christian
                                          upbringing.

                                          =====

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                                            rowengr@... wrote:

                                            > I once encountered an, er, individual, who claimed to have
                                            > "rediscovered the lost Dorian mode" and who performed a song he had
                                            > written about the "fall of Atlantis" which contained the line "I don't
                                            > like the way you're pointin' that crystal at me"....

                                            Hm. There's a song I think I'd like to hear.

                                            I think.

                                            Maybe....

                                            Effingham
                                          • historian@reconstructinghistory.com
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                                              > For the record, I am completely
                                              > oblivious to presences, vibrations, nexuses(nexi?) and
                                              > all that stuff. Put a crystal in my hand and it's a
                                              > rock. I won't say the paranormal doesn't happen, but
                                              > it certainly doesn't happen to me.

                                              I gotta tell you a story from this weekend. I was at a Rev War thing
                                              at Fort Mifflin near Philadelphia and when we had a break from the
                                              cannon, we went to check out the old powder magazines because they
                                              are underground and nice and cool (like AC). There was a girl in
                                              there telling us we needed to say hello to Richard. I said, "Who's
                                              Richard?" She said, "I just walked in here and felt a presense and
                                              got the name Richard." "Why," said I, "Would anyone have died in a
                                              powder magazine? It's for ammo, not people." She hadn't thought of
                                              that. I don't think she knew what the building was for. I think she
                                              thought it was an underground bunker.

                                              It's not that I don't believe in ghosts. I do. It's just that I
                                              don't believe that every name that enters your head in an old
                                              building is a ghost talking to you...

                                              Kass
                                            • Anthony J. Bryant
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                                                historian@... wrote:

                                                > I gotta tell you a story from this weekend. I was at a Rev War thing
                                                > at Fort Mifflin near Philadelphia and when we had a break from the
                                                > cannon, we went to check out the old powder magazines because they
                                                > are underground and nice and cool (like AC). There was a girl in
                                                > there telling us we needed to say hello to Richard. I said, "Who's
                                                > Richard?" She said, "I just walked in here and felt a presense and
                                                > got the name Richard." "Why," said I, "Would anyone have died in a
                                                > powder magazine? It's for ammo, not people." She hadn't thought of
                                                > that. I don't think she knew what the building was for. I think she
                                                > thought it was an underground bunker.

                                                Yeesh...

                                                People like that make my hair hurt.

                                                > It's not that I don't believe in ghosts. I do. It's just that I
                                                > don't believe that every name that enters your head in an old
                                                > building is a ghost talking to you...

                                                Well, I think her load was a few grains short....

                                                Effingham
                                              • Laurie Hupman
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                                                  Le sigh.

                                                  Just for the record, my husband is a magician
                                                  specializing in what's known as bizarre magic. I've
                                                  picked up quite a few "seance tricks" from him over
                                                  the past couple of years.

                                                  So, three or four years ago, I was standing in line
                                                  for the cutting table at one of our local fabric
                                                  shops. The woman being waited on at the moment had a
                                                  bolt of Chinese silk spread out over the cutting table
                                                  and the salesman was about to cut. She stopped him
                                                  quite suddenly, reached into a small pouch and pulled
                                                  out her pendulum and held it over the silk. When it
                                                  swung the wrong way, she gathered up the silk and went
                                                  running back to the wall to exchange it for a
                                                  different bolt. She brought it back, repeated the
                                                  pendulum test and announced that her spirit guide
                                                  approved of this fabric and it was okay to cut.

                                                  I love Santa Cruz. It makes Berkeley seem so Normal.

                                                  Rose

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                                                    > Just for the record, my husband is a magician
                                                    > specializing in what's known as bizarre magic. I've
                                                    > picked up quite a few "seance tricks" from him over
                                                    > the past couple of years.

                                                    Oh, Rose, I bet you have stories...

                                                    > So, three or four years ago, I was standing in line
                                                    > for the cutting table at one of our local fabric
                                                    > shops. The woman being waited on at the moment had a
                                                    > bolt of Chinese silk spread out over the cutting table
                                                    > and the salesman was about to cut. She stopped him
                                                    > quite suddenly, reached into a small pouch and pulled
                                                    > out her pendulum and held it over the silk. When it
                                                    > swung the wrong way, she gathered up the silk and went
                                                    > running back to the wall to exchange it for a
                                                    > different bolt. She brought it back, repeated the
                                                    > pendulum test and announced that her spirit guide
                                                    > approved of this fabric and it was okay to cut.
                                                    >
                                                    > I love Santa Cruz. It makes Berkeley seem so Normal.

                                                    Oh... my...

                                                    Kass
                                                  • Laurie Hupman
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                                                      --- historian@... wrote:
                                                      > > Just for the record, my husband is a magician
                                                      > > specializing in what's known as bizarre magic.
                                                      > I've
                                                      > > picked up quite a few "seance tricks" from him
                                                      > over
                                                      > > the past couple of years.
                                                      >
                                                      > Oh, Rose, I bet you have stories...

                                                      You _so_ don't want to be in my house when John Edward
                                                      comes on TV. OTOH, I know all kinds of tricks for
                                                      making writing appear or for making you hear voices.

                                                      Rose (BOO! BOO! I said, "BOOOOO!")

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                                                        Laurie Hupman wrote:

                                                        > You _so_ don't want to be in my house when John Edward
                                                        > comes on TV. OTOH, I know all kinds of tricks for
                                                        > making writing appear or for making you hear voices.

                                                        Oh, man. I saw him once and couldn't believe it.

                                                        I mean, who BUYS into this crap? He's good at cold readings, I'll give him
                                                        that, but...

                                                        Jeez, that whole thing is so cynical, and so CRUEL....

                                                        You ever notice, though, that no one ever gets a "you're right, your
                                                        daughter hated you, and she wants you to burn in hell" messages? It's always
                                                        happyhappy feelgood crap.

                                                        Effingham
                                                      • Laurie Hupman
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                                                          > Laurie Hupman wrote:
                                                          >

                                                          > > You _so_ don't want to be in my house when John
                                                          > Edward
                                                          > > comes on TV. OTOH, I know all kinds of tricks for
                                                          > > making writing appear or for making you hear
                                                          > voices.
                                                          > >

                                                          > Oh, man. I saw him once and couldn't believe it.
                                                          >
                                                          > I mean, who BUYS into this crap? He's good at cold
                                                          > readings, I'll give him
                                                          > that, but...

                                                          <snort> Sad people who want reassurance buy into this
                                                          crap. People who need to be told that "everything is
                                                          going to be okay, they still love you, etc." buy into
                                                          this crap.

                                                          He's probably the best cold reader on the market right
                                                          now. It's really interesting to hear some of the old,
                                                          established psychics (like Sylvia Brown) defer to him.
                                                          Wanna try a fun experiment? Get a notepad, and count
                                                          how many hits and misses he gets. Count how many
                                                          times he finishes his question _after_ it's been
                                                          answered. Count how many times the ghostly message is
                                                          actually meant for somebody else in the audience.
                                                          Suddenly, he doesn't look quite so impressive.

                                                          > Jeez, that whole thing is so cynical, and so
                                                          > CRUEL....
                                                          >
                                                          > You ever notice, though, that no one ever gets a
                                                          > "you're right, your
                                                          > daughter hated you, and she wants you to burn in
                                                          > hell" messages? It's always
                                                          > happyhappy feelgood crap.

                                                          That's very important to the whole scam, though. The
                                                          ghost never tells you important stuff, like where the
                                                          will is hidden. It's always general, non-specific
                                                          reassurance. And it's always vague, so that the
                                                          subject can put their own spin on the message.

                                                          "My name begins with an R or an L -- ask him which
                                                          one" -- James Randi

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                                                            Laurie Hupman wrote:

                                                            > <snort> Sad people who want reassurance buy into this
                                                            > crap. People who need to be told that "everything is
                                                            > going to be okay, they still love you, etc." buy into
                                                            > this crap.
                                                            >
                                                            > He's probably the best cold reader on the market right
                                                            > now. It's really interesting to hear some of the old,
                                                            > established psychics (like Sylvia Brown) defer to him.
                                                            > Wanna try a fun experiment? Get a notepad, and count
                                                            > how many hits and misses he gets. Count how many
                                                            > times he finishes his question _after_ it's been
                                                            > answered. Count how many times the ghostly message is
                                                            > actually meant for somebody else in the audience.
                                                            > Suddenly, he doesn't look quite so impressive.

                                                            AND IT'S SO OBVIOUS!

                                                            > That's very important to the whole scam, though. The
                                                            > ghost never tells you important stuff, like where the
                                                            > will is hidden. It's always general, non-specific
                                                            > reassurance. And it's always vague, so that the
                                                            > subject can put their own spin on the message.

                                                            But why can't everyone ELSE see this?

                                                            > "My name begins with an R or an L -- ask him which
                                                            > one" -- James Randi

                                                            "I'm getting another message... wait... He wants you to know he's hurt that
                                                            you're doubting him, and says he has no choice but to abandon you to your
                                                            fate."

                                                            Effingham
                                                          • Elizabeth Walpole
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Jul 2, 2001
                                                              >I once encountered an, er, individual, who claimed to have
                                                              >"rediscovered the lost Dorian mode" and who performed a song he had
                                                              >written about the "fall of Atlantis" which contained the line "I don't
                                                              >like the way you're pointin' that crystal at me"....
                                                              >
                                                              >Rowen

                                                              The correct term for those sort of people is inDUHvidual, like a story
                                                              someone posted on another list about a A&S judge who whined that a modern
                                                              glaze on her pot would have made it look smoother than the period glaze and
                                                              then knocked off points for it.

                                                              ----
                                                              Elizabeth Walpole
                                                              ewalpole@...
                                                              Politarchopolis, Lochac

                                                              "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence
                                                              of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968).