"The Celts" by Gerhard Herm

  • atterlep@cs.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2001
      In a message dated 6/29/01 3:09:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

      (Source: "the Celts" by Gerhard Herm, a _very_ good book on premedieval
      Europe.)

      I found "The Celts" to be quite bad.  Herm made a lot of guesses, some of the
      based on no evidence, and presented them as fact.  I read this book only
      once, and a couple of years ago, but I remember it as one of the worst
      popular histories I've ever read, filled with tripe.

      Fairfax
    • constancefairfax@cs.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
        If anyone is interested in getting their own copy of "The Celts", please LMK
        and we'll work something out.

        Constance

        I found "The Celts" to be quite bad.  Herm made a lot of guesses, some of
        the
        based on no evidence, and presented them as fact.  I read this book only
        once, and a couple of years ago, but I remember it as one of the worst
        popular histories I've ever read, filled with tripe.

        Fairfax

      • Jeff Gedney
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2001
          On Saturday, June 30, 2001 10:21 AM, atterlep@... [SMTP:atterlep@...]
          wrote:
          > In a message dated 6/29/01 3:09:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          > Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:
          >

          > > (Source: "the Celts" by Gerhard Herm, a _very_ good book on premedieval
          > > Europe.)
          >
          > I found "The Celts" to be quite bad. Herm made a lot of guesses, some of
          the
          > based on no evidence, and presented them as fact. I read this book only
          > once, and a couple of years ago, but I remember it as one of the worst
          > popular histories I've ever read, filled with tripe.
          >
          > Fairfax
          > << File: ATT00002.html >>
          As were many books of the same period. It is hard to find one book on
          Indoeuropean cultures from that time that does not have some kind of agenda
          to sell. Reference anything by Ms. Gimbutas.
          I know that Herm was trying to take the history and make it "readable" thus
          making some of his narrative "crap". But the political thrust and flow of
          the gross history he is recreating is well supported with referential
          statements. The book was useful in that he is well supported with
          searchable quotes and checkable references and traceable illustrations.
          That is the chief treasure of this book. Certainly true that he attempts
          to read the minds of the historical personae, and sometimes he trys to
          "paint illustrations" and fabricates details for some scenes based wholly
          on conjecture, but these incidences are obvious from the "storytelling
          tone" of the passage, and the lack of referential statements.
          I still think that it is a pretty good book, for all it's faults.

          elias
        • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2001
            Constance,
            Thanks for my scores.  They arrived on Saturday while I was at Boarder Raids.  :^D  I appreciate your sending them and keeping them safe.

            Smiles,
            Despina

            "Re-creation necessarily implies research before the craftwork
            starts. If you haven't done the research, you can create, but you
            cannot possibly RE-create." [Arval d'Espas Nord]
          • Jeff Gedney
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2001

              > > I found "The Celts" to be quite bad. Herm made a lot of guesses, some of
              > the
              > > based on no evidence, and presented them as fact. I read this book only
              > > once, and a couple of years ago, but I remember it as one of the worst
              > > popular histories I've ever read, filled with tripe.

              In any case the reference to the salt man is well known and holds up.
              (though the mid 1800's date I referred to is off by a hundred years)

              http://www.salzbergwerke.com/traces.htm

              Elias