Re: [Authentic_SCA] Seams

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 54 , Feb 21, 2001
      > Oh yes, and also: what kind of stitches are authentic? Regular running
      > stitch, or the kind that doubles back on itself, if you know what I'm
      > talking about...

      The question really is "authentic for where". Look at the URL I just sent
      you regarding flat-felled seams. You will see both running stitches and
      back stitches are there. French seams and hem stitches and just about ever
      stitch you can think of (and a whole lot you never saw before) have been
      found on extant garments. The one I have seen most is the simple running
      stitch. But modern fabrics don't hold together as well as period ones did,
      so I usually do a backstitch at stress points.

      Basically the answer to the question "what stitches are authentic" is
      "anything that doesnt' come from a machine". =)

      Kass
    • Beth and Bob Matney
      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 22, 2006
        >What type of clothing-style and colors- were used in 8 - 9 century
        >Franks? Also what type of seams were used and any sites that show how
        >do to them? What information I have found about Franks doesn't give
        >much about clothing styles and colors.

        The only book that I am aware of is:
        Kleidung nach Quellen des frühen Mittelalters : Textilien und Mode von Karl
        dem Grossen bis Heinrich III by Mechthild Müller. Berlin: W. de Gruyter,
        2003. x, 337 p., 20 p. of plates : 80 ill. (some col.) ISBN3110172194

        But a good knowledge of German is essentual. Few illus.
        Detailed study examines textiles and costume during the Carolingian and
        Ottonian periods. Drawing on archaeological, documentary, literary and
        graphic sources, the study examines the clothing of men, women and the
        clergy, decoration, accessories, fabrics, weaving and the manufacture of
        clothing mostly in Germany between 800 and 1050. 337p, 10 col and 10 b/w pls

        Beth of Walnutvale