Re: [Authentic_SCA] Seams

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 54 , Feb 21, 2001
      > Does anybody know how to make a flat felled seam? I found out that it was
      > authentic, but I have no idea how to do it. :)

      Try here, Moshe: http://www.42nd-dimension.com/NFPS/nfps_stitches.html

      The one on the bottom left and the bottom right in Figure 11 are flat felled
      seams. Basically, you do a regular seam, then you cut one of the seam
      allowances in half lengthwise. Then you fold the seam allowance that you
      didn't cut around the short seam allowance and blindstitch it down.

      Kass
    • Beth and Bob Matney
      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 22 8:17 PM
        >What type of clothing-style and colors- were used in 8 - 9 century
        >Franks? Also what type of seams were used and any sites that show how
        >do to them? What information I have found about Franks doesn't give
        >much about clothing styles and colors.

        The only book that I am aware of is:
        Kleidung nach Quellen des frühen Mittelalters : Textilien und Mode von Karl
        dem Grossen bis Heinrich III by Mechthild Müller. Berlin: W. de Gruyter,
        2003. x, 337 p., 20 p. of plates : 80 ill. (some col.) ISBN3110172194

        But a good knowledge of German is essentual. Few illus.
        Detailed study examines textiles and costume during the Carolingian and
        Ottonian periods. Drawing on archaeological, documentary, literary and
        graphic sources, the study examines the clothing of men, women and the
        clergy, decoration, accessories, fabrics, weaving and the manufacture of
        clothing mostly in Germany between 800 and 1050. 337p, 10 col and 10 b/w pls

        Beth of Walnutvale