period encampment

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 37 , Mar 30, 2001
      This seems like a good question to ask this crowd.

      As many of you know, I portray a 10th century Japanese noblewoman. When
      recently asked, "What kind of tent would a 10th century Japanese noblewoman
      have?" I had to reply, "None." The fact is that a lady of the Heian Court
      would have no reason to sleep outside -- ever! In period, if I went on
      pilgrimage, I would be given lodgings at Buddhist temples along the way or
      prehaps even at the home of a local nobleman with whom my family had
      connections.

      So far my plan has been to harass my Laurel (a woodworker) into someday
      building me "Heian apartments" which would be like those little wooden shops
      at Pennsic (the Guild of Limners among others) except that it would be
      outfitted with Heian period furniture and decor. But owning to the size of
      this project (and my Laurel's dedication to getting involved with every
      Kingdom level woodworking project that exists), it ain't happening anytime
      soon.

      So, does anyone have any suggestions? And if your suggestion is to camp as
      Caisin instead (my 16th century Irish persona), I can't document tents for
      her either...

      Kass
    • Kass McGann
      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 3, 2001
        > Sennora, is this true?? ha ha! How wonderful! That's taking
        persona-play
        > to cool heights!

        It sure is! When Bob and I went to our first event as a couple, we traveled
        with different people and we hadn't seen each other in a week. But dressed
        as Fujiwara, he couldn't embrace me or even kiss my hand. It was killing me
        not to kiss him of course <blush> but the makeup does make a good deterent.

        It was a Crown Tourney and he was heralding the Lists, but throughout the
        day, he had a messenger bring me flowers and messages and I wrote back poems
        on special paper. At the end of the day, he asked my Master permission to
        Court me. He paid a good price... ;)

        Kass