Re: Religion

  • L Joseph
    Message 1 of 62 , Feb 20, 2001
      Jehanne de Wodeford sendeth greeting and opineth
      thusly: our shire's singing group ROUTINELY performs
      Christian liturgical music as part of our repertoire
      and no one has ever expressed an objection, including
      the Wiccan and Jewish members of said choir. Of
      course, the lyrics ARE in Latin....

      It has been my experience the folks who are most
      belligerent about religion in the SCA tend to be the
      pagans, like the ones who were objecting to the
      reproduction coin design used on last year's Pennsic
      medallion because said design had a cross on it. You
      want tolerance, be tolerant yourselves! (Especially
      the ones who started wearing pentagrams and invoking
      the Goddess primarily to freak out their parents.)

      Mystery plays are certainly a valid area of study and
      I'm sure you can present one without watering down its
      content to pander to the PC element by warning your
      audience beforehand that the views represented depict
      those of a particular time, place and belief-system
      which some will find strange or even objectionable.
      You know, "This show is rated C for heavily Christian
      content...."

      After all, my persona, being a 13th century Anglo
      Norman, would have had no problem swallowing the idea
      that only Jews should lend money because, after all,
      usury is a sin and they're all going to Hell already
      anyway, not to mention the time honored family
      tradition of riding East to slice and dice Muslims
      (and any Eastern Christians one happens to mistake for
      Saracens because they all look alike anyway). Deus lo
      volt and all that.

      Hope you can make it work. It sounds like an
      interesting idea.

      Cheers,
      Jehanne

      =====
      "I do but sing because I must, And pipe but as the linnets sing." Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • stephen higa
      Message 62 of 62 , Mar 7, 2001
        > It was indeed magical...well, up until a boot came flying out the tent of
        > someone with a hangover and hit the caller!
        >
        > Allaaaaahu akb- ow! :o)

        no, really??

        Okay, I'm going to try it at the next event. Of course, I'll have to wake
        up at dawn, but there you go.

        I don't have a Muslim persona, but no one will know who it is, they'll just
        hear it ringing out. I hope to create "magic moments" for people by doing
        that, especially the Muslim personae who just might follow the summons and
        kneel to face Mecca in prayer.

        Moshe
        Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
        menhs en cort que de belh saber