New member: Constance Fairfax - Intro

  • constancefairfax@cs.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 30, 2001
      Hi-

      I'm really :( sad that I didn't join this group earlier. :)

      I understand my husband mentioned he was going to urge me to subscribe, but
      I'd like to give a little bio anyway.

      I've been in the SCA for just over 10 years.

      My main field of interest is period music, specifically English secular. I
      have a masterwork project which I am working on which is a songbook full of
      period English secular songs (from about 1300-1600, maybe no Ravenscroft)
      which will eventually be a published songbook. I am an avid teacher of easy
      period music and a strong advocate of its use in everyday SCA-dom. *I
      PERSONALLY* feel that most SCA-filk belongs at post-revels...not in the feast
      hall. I also teach a "Period Vocal Style" class at Pennsic which I feel is
      my "biggest contribution to authenticity".

      The field in which I have "shown the most improvement" since I have joined
      the SCA is in costuming. I am interested in renaissance English and Flemish
      (OK, maybe Spanish and French too) clothing.

      Of course, I've tried my hand at lots of other A&Sy type things. :)

      :)
      Constance Fairfax
    • L Joseph
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 30, 2001
        --- constancefairfax@... wrote:
        > My main field of interest is period music,
        > specifically English secular. I
        > have a masterwork project which I am working on
        > which is a songbook full of
        > period English secular songs (from about 1300-1600,
        > maybe no Ravenscroft)
        > which will eventually be a published songbook. I am
        > an avid teacher of easy
        > period music and a strong advocate of its use in
        > everyday SCA-dom. *I
        > PERSONALLY* feel that most SCA-filk belongs at
        > post-revels...not in the feast
        > hall. I also teach a "Period Vocal Style" class at
        > Pennsic which I feel is
        > my "biggest contribution to authenticity".
        Hello, Constance and welcome!

        I did your popular Elizabethan song and vocal style
        classes at the last couple of Pennsics and enjoyed
        them immensely. ("Brid on a brere" is a keeper. Love
        it!)

        I'd love to see that book come out! Sounds wonderful.
        BTW, gang, the hurdy gurdy is on order and I will
        probably have it some time next week. Somebody should
        probably warn my neighbors......

        Cheers,
        Jehanne

        =====
        Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

      • rowengr@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 30, 2001
          --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., constancefairfax@c... wrote:
          > My main field of interest is period music, specifically English
          secular. I
          > have a masterwork project which I am working on which is a songbook
          full of
          > period English secular songs (from about 1300-1600, maybe no
          Ravenscroft)
          > which will eventually be a published songbook.

          I'll be looking forward to a copy. :)

          > I am an avid teacher of easy
          > period music and a strong advocate of its use in everyday SCA-dom.
          >*I PERSONALLY* feel that most SCA-filk belongs at post-revels...not
          > in the feast hall.

          You'll get no arguement from me on that point! There is a great deal
          of vocal and instrumental music preserved from SCA period. (And like
          anything else, a great deal more from some eras/cultures than from
          others.) I've also heard some very good original material done in
          appropriate styles, and have no quarrel with that either.

          > I also teach a "Period Vocal Style" class at Pennsic which I feel
          is
          > my "biggest contribution to authenticity".

          I'd love to attend your class.

          > Of course, I've tried my hand at lots of other A&Sy type things. :)

          Haven't we all. ;)

          Rowen Brithwallt
        • Kass McGann
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 30, 2001
            > I'm really :( sad that I didn't join this group earlier. :)

            I hasn't been around that long, Constance...

            > I understand my husband mentioned he was going to urge me to subscribe,
            but
            > I'd like to give a little bio anyway.
            >
            > I've been in the SCA for just over 10 years.
            >
            > My main field of interest is period music, specifically English secular.
            > have a masterwork project which I am working on which is a songbook full
            of
            > period English secular songs (from about 1300-1600, maybe no Ravenscroft)
            > which will eventually be a published songbook. I am an avid teacher of
            easy
            > period music and a strong advocate of its use in everyday SCA-dom. *I
            > PERSONALLY* feel that most SCA-filk belongs at post-revels...not in the
            feast
            > hall. I also teach a "Period Vocal Style" class at Pennsic which I feel
            is
            > my "biggest contribution to authenticity".

            I *KNEW* I'd heard of you!

            > The field in which I have "shown the most improvement" since I have joined
            > the SCA is in costuming. I am interested in renaissance English and
            Flemish
            > (OK, maybe Spanish and French too) clothing.

            Vivant!

            > Of course, I've tried my hand at lots of other A&Sy type things. :)
            >
            > :)

            Welcome, Constance!

            Kass
          • ahelou@uclink4.berkeley.edu
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 30, 2001
              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., constancefairfax@c... wrote:

              > My main field of interest is period music, specifically English
              secular. I
              > have a masterwork project which I am working on which is a songbook
              full of
              > period English secular songs (from about 1300-1600, maybe no
              Ravenscroft)
              > which will eventually be a published songbook. I am an avid teacher
              of easy
              > period music and a strong advocate of its use in everyday SCA-dom.
              *I
              > PERSONALLY* feel that most SCA-filk belongs at post-revels...not in
              the feast
              > hall. I also teach a "Period Vocal Style" class at Pennsic which I
              feel is
              > my "biggest contribution to authenticity".

              that is SO awesome! I can't wait to see the book once it's published.
              Upon that distant day I make it to Pennsic, I will most definitely
              check out your class...I've been working on developing a period vocal
              style too. (Most of my vocal instruction has been in 17th-century
              English and Italian music, which is definitely closer to period style
              than modern classical style.) The tendency I need to start avoiding
              is singing all period music in the same way - plainsong should *not*
              be sung like Dowland. Do you recommend any specific techniques??
              Also, we have our kingdom Bardic competition at Beltane, and for the
              "piece in a period style" category, I wanted to write an Elizabethan
              lute song (well, minus the lute...) I've got a melody of sorts worked
              out, but haven't a clue for lyrics ;p I'll figure it out, but just to
              include as much authenticity as possible, I pose this question to the
              musicians on the list: what are the most characteristic elements of
              this genre, musically and otherwise?
              thanks,
              Vittoria
            • L Joseph
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 30, 2001
                --- ahelou@... wrote:
                > that is SO awesome! I can't wait to see the book
                > once it's published.
                > Upon that distant day I make it to Pennsic, I will
                > most definitely
                > check out your class...I've been working on
                > developing a period vocal
                > style too. (Most of my vocal instruction has been
                > in 17th-century
                > English and Italian music, which is definitely
                > closer to period style
                > than modern classical style.) The tendency I need
                > to start avoiding
                > is singing all period music in the same way -
                > plainsong should *not*
                > be sung like Dowland. Do you recommend any specific
                > techniques??
                > Also, we have our kingdom Bardic competition at
                > Beltane, and for the
                > "piece in a period style" category, I wanted to
                > write an Elizabethan
                > lute song (well, minus the lute...) I've got a
                > melody of sorts worked
                > out, but haven't a clue for lyrics ;p I'll figure
                > it out, but just to
                > include as much authenticity as possible, I pose
                > this question to the
                > musicians on the list: what are the most
                > characteristic elements of
                > this genre, musically and otherwise?
                > thanks,

                Vittoria,
                The title escapes me, but see if you can find a
                book (or books) by Timothy J. McGee from the U of
                Indiana press on period performance style. I got the
                one for Christmas and found it was not over my head,
                rank amateur that I am. I'm sure Lady Constance may
                know of more things to check out.
                As for lyrics, seems like the classic Elizabethan
                lute song theme is "I love her, she hates me, I die in
                despair." I do not compose, but I think a cleverly
                done parody of this sort of thing could be brilliant.
                Best of luck with it.

                Jehanne de Wodeford, Rusted Woodlands, East

                =====

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 30, 2001
                  > As for lyrics, seems like the classic Elizabethan
                  > lute song theme is "I love her, she hates me, I die in
                  > despair." I do not compose, but I think a cleverly
                  > done parody of this sort of thing could be brilliant.
                  > Best of luck with it.

                  <snicker> The 16th century Irish one is (if the writer is male), "Oh...
                  isn't she like a goddess, she must be an otherworldly being, oh... her eyes
                  are like the sea and her hair like flax, oh," or (if the writer if female),
                  "You forgot the little part about your wife and kids!" ;)

                  Kass
                • stephen higa
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 2, 2001
                    > My main field of interest is period music, specifically English secular. I
                    > have a masterwork project which I am working on which is a songbook full of
                    > period English secular songs (from about 1300-1600, maybe no Ravenscroft)
                    > which will eventually be a published songbook. I am an avid teacher of easy
                    > period music and a strong advocate of its use in everyday SCA-dom.

                    I love you already! I tried to get "Sumer is y-cumen in" going at an event
                    but people lost interest. Oh well. When you get that songbook published,
                    I'll be first in line to buy it. Vittoria (with a little help from me ;))
                    is currently working on an all-period (or period-style) songbook to counter
                    the mostly-filk and folk songbook our college group has now.

                    > *I
                    > PERSONALLY* feel that most SCA-filk belongs at post-revels...not in the feast
                    > hall.

                    Of course! Nothing irks me more than filks on non-period melodies. Period
                    melodies are just as fun! Why not use them????

                    > I also teach a "Period Vocal Style" class at Pennsic which I feel is
                    > my "biggest contribution to authenticity".

                    The re-creation of medieval vocal styles is among my greatest interests!
                    Where are you? I'd love to hear some of your stuff! I've been researching
                    medieval Iberian vocal techniques (Jewish, Christian, Muslim) and would love
                    to show you what I've managed to reconstruct! :)

                    Moshe AveniƧmel
                    Only a voice,
                    A dim voice whispers where the shadow of a man
                    Visibly lay, but when I looked
                    It had vanished--
                    This flickering form...
                    Like haze over the fields.

                    --Seami Motokiyo (1363-1444)

                    ----------
                    >From: constancefairfax@...
                    >To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [Authentic_SCA] New member: Constance Fairfax - Intro
                    >Date: Fri, Mar 30, 2001, 9:03 AM
                    >

                    > Hi-
                    >
                    > I'm really :( sad that I didn't join this group earlier. :)
                    >
                    > I understand my husband mentioned he was going to urge me to subscribe, but
                    > I'd like to give a little bio anyway.
                    >
                    > I've been in the SCA for just over 10 years.
                    >
                    > My main field of interest is period music, specifically English secular. I
                    > have a masterwork project which I am working on which is a songbook full of
                    > period English secular songs (from about 1300-1600, maybe no Ravenscroft)
                    > which will eventually be a published songbook. I am an avid teacher of easy
                    > period music and a strong advocate of its use in everyday SCA-dom. *I
                    > PERSONALLY* feel that most SCA-filk belongs at post-revels...not in the feast
                    > hall. I also teach a "Period Vocal Style" class at Pennsic which I feel is
                    > my "biggest contribution to authenticity".
                    >
                    > The field in which I have "shown the most improvement" since I have joined
                    > the SCA is in costuming. I am interested in renaissance English and Flemish
                    > (OK, maybe Spanish and French too) clothing.
                    >
                    > Of course, I've tried my hand at lots of other A&Sy type things. :)
                    >
                    > :)
                    > Constance Fairfax

                  • stephen higa
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 2, 2001
                      > As for lyrics, seems like the classic Elizabethan
                      > lute song theme is "I love her, she hates me, I die in
                      > despair." I do not compose, but I think a cleverly
                      > done parody of this sort of thing could be brilliant.

                      Same with troubadour songs. In fact, there was this one by Peire Cardenal
                      (c.1205-1272) which makes fun of this, going through all the cliches and
                      images used by the typical troubadour canso:

                      "I no longer say that I am dying for the most noble lady,
                      nor that my fair one makes me languish;
                      I neither pray to her nor adore her
                      I neither ask for her nor desire her.
                      I neither give her any homage
                      nor bestow myself on her norhave I given myself to her.
                      I am not her submissive serf
                      nor does she have my heart as surety.
                      I am neither her captive nor her liege man.
                      Rather would I say that I have escaped from her..." etc...

                      And he uses a ridiculous amount of alliteration: "leu l'er lo larcx laus lag
                      loinhatz; ...dreitz drutz del dart d'amor nafratz. Pus pauc pres, pus pres
                      es compratz." What do you think of that???? I am loathe to attempt
                      performing this, needless to say. ;)

                      Moshe

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 2, 2001
                        > The re-creation of medieval vocal styles is among my greatest interests!
                        > Where are you? I'd love to hear some of your stuff! I've been researching
                        > medieval Iberian vocal techniques (Jewish, Christian, Muslim) and would
                        love
                        > to show you what I've managed to reconstruct! :)
                        >
                        > Moshe AveniƧmel

                        Shalom, Moshe! :)

                        Iberian! Wow, that's quite an excursion! :) I would love to hear what you
                        have. Right now, I live near Detroit, although in September, we are moving
                        to Chicago. We go to Pennsic, do you?

                        :)
                        Constance
                      • dannw@pathcom.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 4, 2001
                          Greetings,

                          As I said, I'm behind in my email but, in the spirit of this list I
                          would like to add to her intro. : )

                          Constance is doing some good work with her Elizabethan costuming and
                          has come up with a list of colours and their DMC (embroidery floss)
                          equivalents. : )

                          Cheers,
                          Gwendoline (waving frantically - "Hi Constance!" <G>)

                        • constancefairfax@cs.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 4, 2001
                            > Constance is doing some good work with her Elizabethan costuming and
                            > has come up with a list of colours and their DMC (embroidery floss)
                            > equivalents. : )
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            > Gwendoline (waving frantically - "Hi Constance!" <G>)

                            Looky that. On Vigil and already patting heads. :) Good for you! :)

                            :)

                            Constance
                          • Bob Davis
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 2 2:36 PM
                              Kass McGann wrote:

                              > > As for lyrics, seems like the classic Elizabethan
                              > > lute song theme is "I love her, she hates me, I die in
                              > > despair." I do not compose, but I think a cleverly
                              > > done parody of this sort of thing could be brilliant.
                              > > Best of luck with it.
                              >
                              > <snicker> The 16th century Irish one is (if the writer is male), "Oh...
                              > isn't she like a goddess, she must be an otherworldly being, oh... her eyes
                              > are like the sea and her hair like flax, oh," or (if the writer if female),
                              > "You forgot the little part about your wife and kids!" ;)

                              And, of course, there is the entendre of the term "die." You see, in
                              Elizabethan England, "to die" meant "to come," as it ...ahem...were.
                              For an example, the air "Come again, sweet love doth now invite."

                              --
                              Robert P. Davis: Brewer, Musician,