Re: [Authentic_SCA] Religion

  • Kate Jones
    Message 1 of 62 , Feb 18, 2001
      Moshe sez:

      > I was just made aware of some prohibitions in the Society having to do with
      > religious displays; just what are these, and how do they affect personae who
      > are, for example, highly religious Jews and Buddhist monks? For the latter,
      > my clothing is very obviously Judaic, and I have been known to quote the
      > Torah, Talmud, and ancient Rabbis when the occasion calls for it. Is this
      > allowed?

      Of a certainty.

      The restriction on religious expression in the SCA are far less
      restrictive than many people think, and are pretty much as follows:

      G&PD #6 says:

      ---

      Policy on Religion

      Having no wish to recreate the religious conflicts of the period under
      study, the Society for Creative Anachronism, Incorporated, shall
      neither establish nor prohibit any system of belief among its
      members. No one shall perform any religious or magical ceremony at a
      Society event (or in association with the name of the Society) in such
      a way as to imply that the ceremony is authorized, sponsored, or
      promulgated by the Society or to force anyone at a Society event, by
      direct or indirect pressure, to observe or join the ceremony. However,
      this prohibition is in no way intended to discourage the study of
      historical belief systems and their effects on the development of
      Western culture.

      Except as provided herein, neither the Society nor any member acting
      in its name or that of any of its parts shall interfere with any
      person's lawful ceremonies, nor shall any member discriminate against
      another upon grounds related to either's system of belief.

      ---

      Mostly what it boils down it is: don't run a religious ceremony right
      in the middle of an event where people can't get away from it, and
      don't run it as an official part of an event.

      The only other restriction of any sort that applies to _some_
      religions is the restriction against claiming landed titles to which
      one is not entitled; for Christianity, for example, that means you're
      not supposed to claim to be a bishop. I'm afraid I don't know enough
      about Judaism to know if there's anywhere this one applies.

      But, by all means, wear your persona's religious items, quote your
      persona's religious sayings; if anyone's offended by them, that's
      between you and them and no business of the Society.

      Kat'ryna
      mundanely of no religion particularly,
      in persona a devout Orthodox Christian,
      which can sure be an odd combination some days.
      --
      Kate Jones | I turned my world upside-down
      kate@... | and that's how everything landed...
      Message 62 of 62 , Mar 7, 2001
        > It was indeed magical...well, up until a boot came flying out the tent of
        > someone with a hangover and hit the caller!
        >
        > Allaaaaahu akb- ow! :o)

        no, really??

        Okay, I'm going to try it at the next event. Of course, I'll have to wake
        up at dawn, but there you go.

        I don't have a Muslim persona, but no one will know who it is, they'll just
        hear it ringing out. I hope to create "magic moments" for people by doing
        that, especially the Muslim personae who just might follow the summons and
        kneel to face Mecca in prayer.

        Moshe
        Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
        menhs en cort que de belh saber