Re: Authenticiy eGroup, and Persona problems

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2000
      > Oh, Doña Aoi: at a feast this past weekend, I encountered similar
      problems
      > with dealing with my persona's relation to food. As a Heian lady,
      you have
      > reserves about eating in public? Well, Moshe, being a Jewish
      mystic, is
      > somewhat ascetic. I do avoid meats and alcoholic beverages, but
      there were
      > many other fancy foods there in which I partook...I thought
      everyone else
      > might not notice, but I got into a conversation with a girl from my
      group
      > who's persona is from around Jerusalem, and she chided me for being
      a holy
      > man and still feasting with the rest of them. What might be a good
      > response? I, in turn, chided her for drinking wine and eating meat
      that was
      > processed by Gentiles (non-kosher!)... ;)

      Well done, Moshe!

      > Oh, and what happens if someone asks you a question your persona
      should know
      > off-hand, but you don't?

      I generally do what you did. I take my knowledge of my persona
      and "fudge" an answer. No one expects you to be perfect all the
      time. And chances are the person with whom you are conversing will
      not know if you are stretching the truth a bit. I mean, after all,
      is it entirely out of the realm of possibility that there was a
      Jewish man in Spain whose family tradition was one of marrying later
      than their neighbours? It could be.

      Personally, I am in my thirties and would be very old by Heian
      standards. But I portray a young childless woman. To my mind, it is
      the same as pretending I am Asian -- it's part of the role. We
      mutually suspend our disbelief.

      Of course I sometimes use the fallback that I do not speak these
      Western tongues so well and perhaps I do not understand so well
      either. =)

      > Sorry so long...I originally didn't know what to write, but then I
      just
      > couldn't stop...

      It happens...

      Fujiwara no Aoi
    • Stephen Higa
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2000
        Thanks, that's good advice. I consulted the sca-judaica list, and I came up
        with the solution that I AM married, to Constanza Portales just last year.
        I don't let her go to events, because she is still young and who knows what
        these crazy drunken men might do? I want to be the age I am now, and as
        years pass for me, years pass for Moshe. Except for Moshe, the year is
        1164.

        > Of course I sometimes use the fallback that I do not speak these
        > Western tongues so well and perhaps I do not understand so well
        > either. =)

        Hee hee, I used that excuse when I went Japanese to the Renaissance Faire.
        People would be trying to get my sister and I into their stores when I
        didn't have any interest in going, so I would consult my sister in Japanese
        and she would tell the merchants that she was very sorry, but her friend
        doesn't speak English very well. :) One merchant must've thought we were
        serious, and said in a very apologetic voice, "oh, that's okay." :)

        Moshe
        Awake, Awake, O My Soul!
        Awake, O My Heart!
        The Beloved draws near!
        Throw off the heavy covers,
        the wrinkled bedclothes, laden with slumber!
        Tear open the shutters, open wide the door!
        --Moshe ibn Yishma'el (12th c.)
      • Kass McGann
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2000
          > Thanks, that's good advice. I consulted the sca-judaica list, and I came
          up
          > with the solution that I AM married, to Constanza Portales just last year.
          > I don't let her go to events, because she is still young and who knows
          what
          > these crazy drunken men might do? I want to be the age I am now, and as
          > years pass for me, years pass for Moshe. Except for Moshe, the year is
          > 1164.

          I think that is a wonderful solution, Moshe!

          > Hee hee, I used that excuse when I went Japanese to the Renaissance Faire.
          > People would be trying to get my sister and I into their stores when I
          > didn't have any interest in going, so I would consult my sister in
          Japanese
          > and she would tell the merchants that she was very sorry, but her friend
          > doesn't speak English very well. :) One merchant must've thought we were
          > serious, and said in a very apologetic voice, "oh, that's okay." :)

          <tittering behind my fan> Hee hee hee hee hee

          Kass/Fujiwara