Period cures for maladies (was: Re: French byname)

  • unclrashid@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2001
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., s_krasley@r... wrote:

      > Looking over some of these cures, I'm amased they the human species
      > actually survived to make it to the 21st century. However I'm sure
      > several hundred years from now, other will think the same about us.
      > Sure lets just rub Mercury on ourselves...and while we are at it
      lets
      > ingest some arsenic for good measure...also do not forget your
      > favorite saints medal just incase the "Cure" doesn't work.
      > - Brynn
      >

      > > Vittoria
      > > > >
      > > >For the french or spanish Pox:
      > > >Take quick-silver, and kill it with fasting spittle, then take
      > > >Verdigrease, Arabick, Turpentine, Oyl Olive, and Populion, & mix
      > them
      > > >together to one intire oyntment, and anoint the sores therewith,
      &

      Actually I beleive mercury componds were used to treat "poxes" until
      the development of modern antibiotics, and we may be going back there
      soon if more drug-resistant varieties arise, so I don't know how much
      more advanced we are.

      In more recent history, (19th & 20th century) almost any new
      discovery is beleived to be a panacea. Magnetism & Radiation for
      example. In the 30's they thought radium was good for you.

      Rashid