Re: [Authentic_SCA] Probably more than you needed to know about Brittany...

  • caoilte
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
      Steven Proctor wrote:

      > OK, I think the problem here is with the definition of 'part of
      > France'...
      >
      > When the Duke of Brittany in 11mumblemumble (Duke Arthur, as I recall)
      > accepts the position of Peer of the Realm he essentially becomes a
      > vassal of the King of France, thereby making Brittany part of France,
      > the same way that Burgundy or Orleans is.

      What did the contract say? If he became a vassal to the king of by being
      given fiefs that were not in Brittany or were not all of Brittany, hdet hde
      status of Brittany was not affected. Your saying that the Duke surrendered
      Brittany and recieved it back as a fief. Is this what happened? The actual
      fief that was granted to the Duke in exchange for his service is all
      important here.

      Dorje