Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 360

  • Anthony J. Bryant
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001

      > I think we Catholics proved quite successfuly that we were better than you
      > Orthodox when we sacked Constantinople in the 1200s ;^>
      > Elizabeth (who mundanely has Orthodox friends and wouldn't dream of
      > mentioning such things)

      For the record, joking about the sack of Constantinople to Orthodox is like
      someone of old southern aristocratic stock going up to black folks and
      saying, "Life shore wuz good when my gran'pappy owned yor gran'pappy's black
      aiss, wuddnit?"

      The "saintly" Crusaders stole the wealth of Byzantium, put hundreds of
      Orthodox monastics to death, stabled horses in the Hagia Sophia, and
      "installed" -- to use the polite term -- a whore on the altar of the
      cathedral.

      That sack was something the city never recovered from, and was one of the
      precursors to the weakening of the city and possibly speeded her fall to the
      Turks.

      Effingham
      Orthodox, dammit.