Re: [Authentic_SCA] Period cures for maladies (was: Re: French byname)

  • L Joseph
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
      --- s_krasley@... wrote:

      > Looking over some of these cures, I'm amased they
      > the human species actually survived to make it to
      > the 21st century.
      I'm not. I've seen too many people fall for the old
      "Ewww. Here, taste this. It's awful!"

      > Sure lets just rub Mercury on ourselves...and while
      > we are at it lets ingest some arsenic for good
      > measure...also do not forget your favorite saints
      > medal just incase the "Cure" doesn't work.
      Mom's been an RN since 1953, however, that never
      stopped her from wearing medals, lighting candles and
      dousing the entire family with Lourdes water when one
      of us was sick. Just in case.

      Jehanne

      =====
      Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • s_krasley@recordtrak.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
        -

        > --- s_krasley@r... wrote:
        > >
        > > Looking over some of these cures, I'm amased they
        > > the human species actually survived to make it to
        > > the 21st century.
        > I'm not. I've seen too many people fall for the old
        > "Ewww. Here, taste this. It's awful!"

        I guess it really is a case of if it doesn't kill you then it can
        only make you stronger. Natural selection?

        > > Sure lets just rub Mercury on ourselves...and while
        > > we are at it lets ingest some arsenic for good
        > > measure...also do not forget your favorite saints
        > > medal just incase the "Cure" doesn't work.
        > Mom's been an RN since 1953, however, that never
        > stopped her from wearing medals, lighting candles and
        > dousing the entire family with Lourdes water when one
        > of us was sick. Just in case.
        >
        > Jehanne

        I'm not one for prayers, but I do think that the human mind can do
        wonders to heal it's body. If medals, prayer, holy water serve as a
        way to focus that energy all the better. Still I think I'll leave out
        the mercury and arsenic in any ancient reciepe.
        - Brynn
      • Kirrily Robert
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
          In lists.sca.authentic-sca, you wrote:

          >Looking over some of these cures, I'm amased they the human species
          >actually survived to make it to the 21st century. However I'm sure
          >several hundred years from now, other will think the same about us.
          >Sure lets just rub Mercury on ourselves...and while we are at it lets
          >ingest some arsenic for good measure...also do not forget your
          >favorite saints medal just incase the "Cure" doesn't work.

          I don't know. It's possible that some of these cures might have a tiny
          core of usefulness.

          Taking poison to drive out disease is basically what chemotherapy is.
          You just have to hope that it kills the cancer before it kills the
          patient.

          I read something somewhere, fairly recently, that suggested that
          bleeding might actually be useful in some cases, because it kicks the
          body into "Yikes, I've lost some blood, let's get healing!" mode.

          And for that matter, the doctrine of humours isn't entirely whacko
          either. If you have a wet phlegmy cough and go to a modern pharmacist
          they'll give you something to dry it out; if you have a dry cough,
          they'll give you something to make it productive. If you have a fever,
          you take aspirin to reduce your temperature. The only thing different
          is that the medieval people didn't have aspirin, so they used "cool"
          herbs, which may have been considered "cool" either because of their
          actual medicinal properties, or because of some other reason entirely.
          They didn't have much of a scientific mindset, so they didn't perform
          double-blind experiments to see what effect each herb had, but
          presumably hundreds or thousands of years of informal observation would
          have led them to a viewpoint which, while not always correct, was
          somewhat better than total randomness.

          And then there's the placebo effect, and "faith healing", which are
          basically the same thing. The human mind can do strange things
          sometimes.

          Yours,

          Katherine

          --
          Kirrily 'Skud' Robert - skud@... - http://infotrope.net/
          "It's a teeny-weeny bit bigger than all the original files. For
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
            > I don't know. It's possible that some of these cures might have a
            tiny
            > core of usefulness.

            That I don't doubt. It's just figuring out which of the ingredents is
            what is useful.

            > Taking poison to drive out disease is basically what chemotherapy
            is.
            > You just have to hope that it kills the cancer before it kills the
            > patient.

            I forgot about that.

            > I read something somewhere, fairly recently, that suggested that
            > bleeding might actually be useful in some cases, because it kicks
            the
            > body into "Yikes, I've lost some blood, let's get healing!" mode.

            I read that too, and that does make sense. Just don't bleed someone
            too much. And leeches are making a come back for treatment of severe
            bruises.

            > And for that matter, the doctrine of humours isn't entirely whacko
            > either. If you have a wet phlegmy cough and go to a modern
            pharmacist
            > they'll give you something to dry it out; if you have a dry cough,
            > they'll give you something to make it productive. If you have a
            fever,
            > you take aspirin to reduce your temperature. The only thing
            different
            > is that the medieval people didn't have aspirin, so they used "cool"
            > herbs, which may have been considered "cool" either because of their
            > actual medicinal properties, or because of some other reason
            entirely.

            If memory serve, willow bark and several other herbs have the same
            chemicals as aspirin just in much smaller amounts. I do like to try
            some of the old methods, like moist air to break up a cough. Cool
            clothes to help reduce a fever (along with some aspirin).

            > They didn't have much of a scientific mindset, so they didn't
            perform
            > double-blind experiments to see what effect each herb had, but
            > presumably hundreds or thousands of years of informal observation
            would
            > have led them to a viewpoint which, while not always correct, was
            > somewhat better than total randomness.

            I've really just started looking into some of the older rememdies for
            things. Mostly minor stuff, for on cuts or burns. Coughs and colds.
            since most over the counter drugs only treat the symptoms and not the
            illness, I figure I can do the same thing without the chemicals.

            > And then there's the placebo effect, and "faith healing", which are
            > basically the same thing. The human mind can do strange things
            > sometimes.

            VERY TRUE

          • unclrashid@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2001
              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., s_krasley@r... wrote:

              > Looking over some of these cures, I'm amased they the human species
              > actually survived to make it to the 21st century. However I'm sure
              > several hundred years from now, other will think the same about us.
              > Sure lets just rub Mercury on ourselves...and while we are at it
              lets
              > ingest some arsenic for good measure...also do not forget your
              > favorite saints medal just incase the "Cure" doesn't work.
              > - Brynn
              >

              > > Vittoria
              > > > >
              > > >For the french or spanish Pox:
              > > >Take quick-silver, and kill it with fasting spittle, then take
              > > >Verdigrease, Arabick, Turpentine, Oyl Olive, and Populion, & mix
              > them
              > > >together to one intire oyntment, and anoint the sores therewith,
              &

              Actually I beleive mercury componds were used to treat "poxes" until
              the development of modern antibiotics, and we may be going back there
              soon if more drug-resistant varieties arise, so I don't know how much
              more advanced we are.

              In more recent history, (19th & 20th century) almost any new
              discovery is beleived to be a panacea. Magnetism & Radiation for
              example. In the 30's they thought radium was good for you.

              Rashid