Period cures for maladies (was: Re: French byname)

  • s_krasley@recordtrak.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
      Looking over some of these cures, I'm amased they the human species
      actually survived to make it to the 21st century. However I'm sure
      several hundred years from now, other will think the same about us.
      Sure lets just rub Mercury on ourselves...and while we are at it lets
      ingest some arsenic for good measure...also do not forget your
      favorite saints medal just incase the "Cure" doesn't work.
      - Brynn

      > Vittoria
      > who is definitely *not* going to try these recipes out
      >
      > >For the french or spanish Pox:
      > >Take quick-silver, and kill it with fasting spittle, then take
      > >Verdigrease, Arabick, Turpentine, Oyl Olive, and Populion, & mix
      them
      > >together to one intire oyntment, and anoint the sores therewith, &
      keep
      > >the party exceeding warm. Or otherwise, take of Allum burned, of
      Rosin,
      > >Frankincense, Populion, Oyl of Roses, Oyl de Bay, Oyl Olive, green
      > >Copperas, Verdigreese, White Lead, Mercury sublimate, of each a
      pretty
      > >quantity, but of Allom most; then beat to powder the simples that
      are
      > >hard, & melt your oyls, and cast in your powder, and stir all well
      > >together; then strain them through a cloth, & apply it warm to the
      > >sores; of else, take a Capon's grease that hath toucht no water,
      the
      > >juyce of Rue, & the fine powder of Pepper, & mix them together to
      an
      > >oyntment, and apply it round about the sores, but let it not come
      into
      > >the sores; and it will dry them up.
      > etc.
    • L Joseph
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
        --- s_krasley@... wrote:

        > Looking over some of these cures, I'm amased they
        > the human species actually survived to make it to
        > the 21st century.
        I'm not. I've seen too many people fall for the old
        "Ewww. Here, taste this. It's awful!"

        > Sure lets just rub Mercury on ourselves...and while
        > we are at it lets ingest some arsenic for good
        > measure...also do not forget your favorite saints
        > medal just incase the "Cure" doesn't work.
        Mom's been an RN since 1953, however, that never
        stopped her from wearing medals, lighting candles and
        dousing the entire family with Lourdes water when one
        of us was sick. Just in case.

        Jehanne

        =====
        Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • s_krasley@recordtrak.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
          -

          > --- s_krasley@r... wrote:
          > >
          > > Looking over some of these cures, I'm amased they
          > > the human species actually survived to make it to
          > > the 21st century.
          > I'm not. I've seen too many people fall for the old
          > "Ewww. Here, taste this. It's awful!"

          I guess it really is a case of if it doesn't kill you then it can
          only make you stronger. Natural selection?

          > > Sure lets just rub Mercury on ourselves...and while
          > > we are at it lets ingest some arsenic for good
          > > measure...also do not forget your favorite saints
          > > medal just incase the "Cure" doesn't work.
          > Mom's been an RN since 1953, however, that never
          > stopped her from wearing medals, lighting candles and
          > dousing the entire family with Lourdes water when one
          > of us was sick. Just in case.
          >
          > Jehanne

          I'm not one for prayers, but I do think that the human mind can do
          wonders to heal it's body. If medals, prayer, holy water serve as a
          way to focus that energy all the better. Still I think I'll leave out
          the mercury and arsenic in any ancient reciepe.
          - Brynn
        • Kirrily Robert
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
            In lists.sca.authentic-sca, you wrote:

            >Looking over some of these cures, I'm amased they the human species
            >actually survived to make it to the 21st century. However I'm sure
            >several hundred years from now, other will think the same about us.
            >Sure lets just rub Mercury on ourselves...and while we are at it lets
            >ingest some arsenic for good measure...also do not forget your
            >favorite saints medal just incase the "Cure" doesn't work.

            I don't know. It's possible that some of these cures might have a tiny
            core of usefulness.

            Taking poison to drive out disease is basically what chemotherapy is.
            You just have to hope that it kills the cancer before it kills the
            patient.

            I read something somewhere, fairly recently, that suggested that
            bleeding might actually be useful in some cases, because it kicks the
            body into "Yikes, I've lost some blood, let's get healing!" mode.

            And for that matter, the doctrine of humours isn't entirely whacko
            either. If you have a wet phlegmy cough and go to a modern pharmacist
            they'll give you something to dry it out; if you have a dry cough,
            they'll give you something to make it productive. If you have a fever,
            you take aspirin to reduce your temperature. The only thing different
            is that the medieval people didn't have aspirin, so they used "cool"
            herbs, which may have been considered "cool" either because of their
            actual medicinal properties, or because of some other reason entirely.
            They didn't have much of a scientific mindset, so they didn't perform
            double-blind experiments to see what effect each herb had, but
            presumably hundreds or thousands of years of informal observation would
            have led them to a viewpoint which, while not always correct, was
            somewhat better than total randomness.

            And then there's the placebo effect, and "faith healing", which are
            basically the same thing. The human mind can do strange things
            sometimes.

            Yours,

            Katherine

            --
            Kirrily 'Skud' Robert - skud@... - http://infotrope.net/
            "It's a teeny-weeny bit bigger than all the original files. For
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
              > I don't know. It's possible that some of these cures might have a
              tiny
              > core of usefulness.

              That I don't doubt. It's just figuring out which of the ingredents is
              what is useful.

              > Taking poison to drive out disease is basically what chemotherapy
              is.
              > You just have to hope that it kills the cancer before it kills the
              > patient.

              I forgot about that.

              > I read something somewhere, fairly recently, that suggested that
              > bleeding might actually be useful in some cases, because it kicks
              the
              > body into "Yikes, I've lost some blood, let's get healing!" mode.

              I read that too, and that does make sense. Just don't bleed someone
              too much. And leeches are making a come back for treatment of severe
              bruises.

              > And for that matter, the doctrine of humours isn't entirely whacko
              > either. If you have a wet phlegmy cough and go to a modern
              pharmacist
              > they'll give you something to dry it out; if you have a dry cough,
              > they'll give you something to make it productive. If you have a
              fever,
              > you take aspirin to reduce your temperature. The only thing
              different
              > is that the medieval people didn't have aspirin, so they used "cool"
              > herbs, which may have been considered "cool" either because of their
              > actual medicinal properties, or because of some other reason
              entirely.

              If memory serve, willow bark and several other herbs have the same
              chemicals as aspirin just in much smaller amounts. I do like to try
              some of the old methods, like moist air to break up a cough. Cool
              clothes to help reduce a fever (along with some aspirin).

              > They didn't have much of a scientific mindset, so they didn't
              perform
              > double-blind experiments to see what effect each herb had, but
              > presumably hundreds or thousands of years of informal observation
              would
              > have led them to a viewpoint which, while not always correct, was
              > somewhat better than total randomness.

              I've really just started looking into some of the older rememdies for
              things. Mostly minor stuff, for on cuts or burns. Coughs and colds.
              since most over the counter drugs only treat the symptoms and not the
              illness, I figure I can do the same thing without the chemicals.

              > And then there's the placebo effect, and "faith healing", which are
              > basically the same thing. The human mind can do strange things
              > sometimes.

              VERY TRUE

            • unclrashid@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 2, 2001
                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., s_krasley@r... wrote:

                > Looking over some of these cures, I'm amased they the human species
                > actually survived to make it to the 21st century. However I'm sure
                > several hundred years from now, other will think the same about us.
                > Sure lets just rub Mercury on ourselves...and while we are at it
                lets
                > ingest some arsenic for good measure...also do not forget your
                > favorite saints medal just incase the "Cure" doesn't work.
                > - Brynn
                >

                > > Vittoria
                > > > >
                > > >For the french or spanish Pox:
                > > >Take quick-silver, and kill it with fasting spittle, then take
                > > >Verdigrease, Arabick, Turpentine, Oyl Olive, and Populion, & mix
                > them
                > > >together to one intire oyntment, and anoint the sores therewith,
                &

                Actually I beleive mercury componds were used to treat "poxes" until
                the development of modern antibiotics, and we may be going back there
                soon if more drug-resistant varieties arise, so I don't know how much
                more advanced we are.

                In more recent history, (19th & 20th century) almost any new
                discovery is beleived to be a panacea. Magnetism & Radiation for
                example. In the 30's they thought radium was good for you.

                Rashid