Re: [Authentic_SCA]SILLY: Probably more than you needed to know about Brittany...

  • L Joseph
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
      --- "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" <aheilvei@...>
      wrote:

      > >and the Duke a powerful vassal, merely gives him
      > more weasel room...
      >
      > and I read this as
      > and the Duke, a powerful weasel.......

      It works. Ever try to bathe a ferret? Squirmy little
      things. Strong jaws too.

      Jehanne

      =====
      Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • caoilte
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
        Steven Proctor wrote:

        > OK, I think the problem here is with the definition of 'part of
        > France'...
        >
        > When the Duke of Brittany in 11mumblemumble (Duke Arthur, as I recall)
        > accepts the position of Peer of the Realm he essentially becomes a
        > vassal of the King of France, thereby making Brittany part of France,
        > the same way that Burgundy or Orleans is.

        What did the contract say? If he became a vassal to the king of by being
        given fiefs that were not in Brittany or were not all of Brittany, hdet hde
        status of Brittany was not affected. Your saying that the Duke surrendered
        Brittany and recieved it back as a fief. Is this what happened? The actual
        fief that was granted to the Duke in exchange for his service is all
        important here.

        Dorje