Re: [Authentic_SCA] Probably more than you needed to know about Brittany...

  • Steven Proctor
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
      "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:

      > The 'when he can't weasel out of it' parts being key here. See, I do
      > know a little about the world outside of my pretty little valley.

      Well, yes, Despina darling, but that applies to most nobles... My point
      still holds. Brittany was part of France. The fact that it was a large
      part of France, and the Duke a powerful vassal, merely gives him more
      weasel room... In the end he's a vassal of the King, and if the King
      puts his foot down he's bound to answer. Anything else is rebellion.

      > ps, if Louis XII had gotten a child with Mary Tudor, Brittany actually
      > would have been split between Claude and her sister, Renee. Francis
      > would have only gotten half. But when you are King.....

      OK, so it would have become *two* appanages..... :-D

      Ta

      Morgan

      --
      The countdown had stalled at T minus 69 seconds when Desiree, the first
      female ape to go up in space, winked at me slyly and pouted her thick,
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
        and the Duke a powerful vassal, merely gives him more
        weasel room...

        and I read this as
        and the Duke, a powerful weasel.......

      • L Joseph
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
          --- "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" <aheilvei@...>
          wrote:

          > >and the Duke a powerful vassal, merely gives him
          > more weasel room...
          >
          > and I read this as
          > and the Duke, a powerful weasel.......

          It works. Ever try to bathe a ferret? Squirmy little
          things. Strong jaws too.

          Jehanne

          =====
          Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

          a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • caoilte
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
            Steven Proctor wrote:

            > OK, I think the problem here is with the definition of 'part of
            > France'...
            >
            > When the Duke of Brittany in 11mumblemumble (Duke Arthur, as I recall)
            > accepts the position of Peer of the Realm he essentially becomes a
            > vassal of the King of France, thereby making Brittany part of France,
            > the same way that Burgundy or Orleans is.

            What did the contract say? If he became a vassal to the king of by being
            given fiefs that were not in Brittany or were not all of Brittany, hdet hde
            status of Brittany was not affected. Your saying that the Duke surrendered
            Brittany and recieved it back as a fief. Is this what happened? The actual
            fief that was granted to the Duke in exchange for his service is all
            important here.

            Dorje