Re: A&S displays (was Midrealm A&S), Food displays

  • Liz (Giovanna)
    Message 1 of 59 , Jun 1, 2001
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Laurie Hupman <roswtr@y...> wrote:
      > We also started the collegium "food court," which
      > serves a similar purpose. Since setting out a
      > day-long display of food is, well, kind of
      > unappealing, we set aside the lunch break at collegium
      > for the cooks to show off. We provide kitchen space
      > for warming up and garnishing, table space for
      > serving, paper plates, cups, bowls and plastic
      > utensils, and again, notepaper and pens for comments.
      > We also comp them a feast ticket. They provide the
      > food and their documentation. And collegium gets $3 a
      > head from everybody who wants lunch.
      >
      > Rose

      The Barony of Nordskogen (Twin Cities, where I live) and the Barony
      of Jaravellir (Madison, WI) do something very similar at an event we
      co-host in Wisconsin each July.

      What they have done is a Baronial Open House, Friday evening of the
      event. People donate snack food and drinks for the main buffet but
      we also have Showcases. At the Open House they feature both B&V and
      Food artisans. 4 tables are set up and each person has 20 minutes to
      distribute their food or beverage to the crowd. It's kind of like
      getting samples in the grocery store or wine shop. Each showcaser is
      required to have a sign showing what people are trying that evening.
      Docummentation is not required and feed back is mostly word of mouth
      during the tasting or afterwards.

      Two tables are open at a time, one with food, one with beverage;
      closing the other 2 allows the next showcasers to set up their
      stuff. I participated in the first 2 Showcases and really loved it.
      It's great because you can show off a dish that may be too involved
      to serve at a feast. Last year we had someone distributing Haggis,
      it was great!

      I love the idea of the food court as well. Hope you don't mind if I
      copy it.

      Giovanna
    • Laurie Hupman
      Message 59 of 59 , Jun 1, 2001
        --- "Liz (Giovanna)" <valkyr8@...> wrote:
        > What they have done is a Baronial Open House, Friday
        > evening of the
        > event. People donate snack food and drinks for the
        > main buffet but
        > we also have Showcases. At the Open House they
        > feature both B&V and
        > Food artisans. 4 tables are set up and each person
        > has 20 minutes to
        > distribute their food or beverage to the crowd.
        > It's kind of like
        > getting samples in the grocery store or wine shop.
        > Each showcaser is
        > required to have a sign showing what people are
        > trying that evening.
        > Docummentation is not required and feed back is
        > mostly word of mouth
        > during the tasting or afterwards.

        We've asked people to bring copies of their
        documentation so that it's available to pass out. It
        doesn't have to be as detailed as docs for
        competition, but the bare minimum we request is a list
        of ingredients. What we usually see is a copy of the
        recipe and basic process.

        > Two tables are open at a time, one with food, one
        > with beverage;
        > closing the other 2 allows the next showcasers to
        > set up their
        > stuff. I participated in the first 2 Showcases and
        > really loved it.
        > It's great because you can show off a dish that may
        > be too involved
        > to serve at a feast. Last year we had someone
        > distributing Haggis,
        > it was great!

        So how many do you usually showcase in an evening? I
        have to admit, the mental image I'm getting is
        starting to look like a food gauntlet <g>.

        > I love the idea of the food court as well. Hope you
        > don't mind if I
        > copy it.

        Please do. I'll probably borrow the food showcase, as
        well.

        Rose

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/