Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Re: French byname (wars of the roses & norman names)

  • Steven Proctor
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
      Err. Perhaps it's my week for bursting bubbles, but Brittany *is* part
      of France.... The duke of Brittany became a Peer of the Realm of France
      in 11mumblemumble (I don't have the references here at work...), and the
      whole of Brittany was absorbed as a direct possession of the Crown in
      1491, when Anne of Brittany married the King of France (whose name I
      don't recall off the top of my head...).

      Ta

      Morgan

      --
      The countdown had stalled at T minus 69 seconds when Desiree, the first
      female ape to go up in space, winked at me slyly and pouted her thick,
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
        At 10:21 AM 6/1/2001 -0400, you wrote:
        Err. Perhaps it's my week for bursting bubbles, but Brittany *is* part
        of France.... The duke of Brittany became a Peer of the Realm of France
        in 11mumblemumble (I don't have the references here at work...), and the
        whole of Brittany was absorbed as a direct possession of the Crown in
        1491, when Anne of Brittany married the King of France (whose name I
        don't recall off the top of my head...).

        Actually, Morgan,

        Brittany didn't become incorporated as part of France until 1532 with the ascension of Claude, Anne's daughter, and Francis I (previously known as Francis of Angouleme) to the thrones.  They (Brittany and France) were kept theoretically separate up to that point, even with Anne being consort to Charles VIII and his successor, Louis XII.  Had Louis XII been able to get an heir with Mary Tudor (sister to Henry VIII), Brittany would not have become part of France but remained a separate duchy held by Francis and Claude.

        Despina de la Rumanian but knows her stuff

      • Elizabeth Walpole
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
          >Message: 5
          > Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 10:21:52 -0400
          > From: Steven Proctor <sproctor@...>
          >Subject: Re: Re: Re: French byname (wars of the roses & Norman names)
          >
          >Err. Perhaps it's my week for bursting bubbles, but Brittany *is* part
          >of France.... The duke of Brittany became a Peer of the Realm of France
          >in 11mumblemumble (I don't have the references here at work...), and the
          >whole of Brittany was absorbed as a direct possession of the Crown in
          >1491, when Anne of Brittany married the King of France (whose name I
          >don't recall off the top of my head...).
          >
          >Ta
          >
          >Morgan

          No burst bubbles here, *I* am not the one from Brittany, it's my
          Great-Great-Grandfather, who of course had the sense to move to England,
          about a century ago, I was just commenting on how England was such a
          wonderful place, and France (or the area now known as France), while it may
          have some features going for it (like the weather in some parts) is not the
          sort of place anyone in their right mind would really contemplate spending
          their life ;-) When I said I'll stick with Brittany, I meant Brittany was
          where I had decided my Great-Great Grandfather had come from.
          Elizabeth