Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 360

  • Elizabeth Walpole
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
      >Message: 17
      > Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:25:12 -0500
      > From: "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" <aheilvei@...>
      >Subject: Re: Letter writing - help!
      >

      >>Bzzzz, wrong answer, thanks for playing. Morgan,
      >>please help this deluded Romanian who knows nothing
      >>about the 100 Years War! Whether you believe she was a
      >>weirdo or a heretic, she did not start the war and
      >>only heard voices from age 13 or so until her
      >>execution on May 30, 1429.
      >>
      >>So there, nyah. ;->
      >
      >I'm not deluded, I'm Rumanian! Who cares about Catholics? The Orthodox
      >Church is the true faith.
      >
      >Despina

      I think we Catholics proved quite successfuly that we were better than you
      Orthodox when we sacked Constantinople in the 1200s ;^>
      Elizabeth (who mundanely has Orthodox friends and wouldn't dream of
      mentioning such things)
    • Anthony J. Bryant
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001

        > I think we Catholics proved quite successfuly that we were better than you
        > Orthodox when we sacked Constantinople in the 1200s ;^>
        > Elizabeth (who mundanely has Orthodox friends and wouldn't dream of
        > mentioning such things)

        For the record, joking about the sack of Constantinople to Orthodox is like
        someone of old southern aristocratic stock going up to black folks and
        saying, "Life shore wuz good when my gran'pappy owned yor gran'pappy's black
        aiss, wuddnit?"

        The "saintly" Crusaders stole the wealth of Byzantium, put hundreds of
        Orthodox monastics to death, stabled horses in the Hagia Sophia, and
        "installed" -- to use the polite term -- a whore on the altar of the
        cathedral.

        That sack was something the city never recovered from, and was one of the
        precursors to the weakening of the city and possibly speeded her fall to the
        Turks.

        Effingham
        Orthodox, dammit.