Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 360

  • Elizabeth Walpole
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001

      >Message: 4
      > Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 09:49:06 -0500
      > From: "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" <aheilvei@...>
      >Subject: Re: Letter writing - help!
      >
      >At 10:37 AM 5/31/2001 -0400, you wrote:
      >>Err. Not to throw a monkey wrench into the works, here, but Joan of Arc
      >>wasn't officially made a saint until the 1950s as I recall......
      >
      >oops, forgot about that. She was just some wierdo heretic that started a
      >war and heard voices through most of our time frame.
      >
      >I think there's a thing online of saint's days that lists when they became
      >saints but I'd have to look.
      >
      >Despina

      You might be thinking of the Catholic Community Forum, they have a list of
      saints, each with a short biography. You can look them up by name, century,
      or patronage. go to http://www.catholic-forum.com/ then follow the links to
      the patron saints index
      Elizabeth
    • Elizabeth Walpole
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
        >Message: 17
        > Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:25:12 -0500
        > From: "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" <aheilvei@...>
        >Subject: Re: Letter writing - help!
        >

        >>Bzzzz, wrong answer, thanks for playing. Morgan,
        >>please help this deluded Romanian who knows nothing
        >>about the 100 Years War! Whether you believe she was a
        >>weirdo or a heretic, she did not start the war and
        >>only heard voices from age 13 or so until her
        >>execution on May 30, 1429.
        >>
        >>So there, nyah. ;->
        >
        >I'm not deluded, I'm Rumanian! Who cares about Catholics? The Orthodox
        >Church is the true faith.
        >
        >Despina

        I think we Catholics proved quite successfuly that we were better than you
        Orthodox when we sacked Constantinople in the 1200s ;^>
        Elizabeth (who mundanely has Orthodox friends and wouldn't dream of
        mentioning such things)
      • Anthony J. Bryant
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001

          > I think we Catholics proved quite successfuly that we were better than you
          > Orthodox when we sacked Constantinople in the 1200s ;^>
          > Elizabeth (who mundanely has Orthodox friends and wouldn't dream of
          > mentioning such things)

          For the record, joking about the sack of Constantinople to Orthodox is like
          someone of old southern aristocratic stock going up to black folks and
          saying, "Life shore wuz good when my gran'pappy owned yor gran'pappy's black
          aiss, wuddnit?"

          The "saintly" Crusaders stole the wealth of Byzantium, put hundreds of
          Orthodox monastics to death, stabled horses in the Hagia Sophia, and
          "installed" -- to use the polite term -- a whore on the altar of the
          cathedral.

          That sack was something the city never recovered from, and was one of the
          precursors to the weakening of the city and possibly speeded her fall to the
          Turks.

          Effingham
          Orthodox, dammit.