Period cures for maladies (was: Re: French byname)

  • Ariane Helou
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2001
      Wow...I don't think I would've like to catch the pox in the 17th century :-/

      Vittoria
      who is definitely *not* going to try these recipes out

      >For the french or spanish Pox:
      >Take quick-silver, and kill it with fasting spittle, then take
      >Verdigrease, Arabick, Turpentine, Oyl Olive, and Populion, & mix them
      >together to one intire oyntment, and anoint the sores therewith, & keep
      >the party exceeding warm. Or otherwise, take of Allum burned, of Rosin,
      >Frankincense, Populion, Oyl of Roses, Oyl de Bay, Oyl Olive, green
      >Copperas, Verdigreese, White Lead, Mercury sublimate, of each a pretty
      >quantity, but of Allom most; then beat to powder the simples that are
      >hard, & melt your oyls, and cast in your powder, and stir all well
      >together; then strain them through a cloth, & apply it warm to the
      >sores; of else, take a Capon's grease that hath toucht no water, the
      >juyce of Rue, & the fine powder of Pepper, & mix them together to an
      >oyntment, and apply it round about the sores, but let it not come into
      >the sores; and it will dry them up.
      etc.
    • s_krasley@recordtrak.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
        Looking over some of these cures, I'm amased they the human species
        actually survived to make it to the 21st century. However I'm sure
        several hundred years from now, other will think the same about us.
        Sure lets just rub Mercury on ourselves...and while we are at it lets
        ingest some arsenic for good measure...also do not forget your
        favorite saints medal just incase the "Cure" doesn't work.
        - Brynn

        > Vittoria
        > who is definitely *not* going to try these recipes out
        >
        > >For the french or spanish Pox:
        > >Take quick-silver, and kill it with fasting spittle, then take
        > >Verdigrease, Arabick, Turpentine, Oyl Olive, and Populion, & mix
        them
        > >together to one intire oyntment, and anoint the sores therewith, &
        keep
        > >the party exceeding warm. Or otherwise, take of Allum burned, of
        Rosin,
        > >Frankincense, Populion, Oyl of Roses, Oyl de Bay, Oyl Olive, green
        > >Copperas, Verdigreese, White Lead, Mercury sublimate, of each a
        pretty
        > >quantity, but of Allom most; then beat to powder the simples that
        are
        > >hard, & melt your oyls, and cast in your powder, and stir all well
        > >together; then strain them through a cloth, & apply it warm to the
        > >sores; of else, take a Capon's grease that hath toucht no water,
        the
        > >juyce of Rue, & the fine powder of Pepper, & mix them together to
        an
        > >oyntment, and apply it round about the sores, but let it not come
        into
        > >the sores; and it will dry them up.
        > etc.
      • L Joseph
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
          --- s_krasley@... wrote:

          > Looking over some of these cures, I'm amased they
          > the human species actually survived to make it to
          > the 21st century.
          I'm not. I've seen too many people fall for the old
          "Ewww. Here, taste this. It's awful!"

          > Sure lets just rub Mercury on ourselves...and while
          > we are at it lets ingest some arsenic for good
          > measure...also do not forget your favorite saints
          > medal just incase the "Cure" doesn't work.
          Mom's been an RN since 1953, however, that never
          stopped her from wearing medals, lighting candles and
          dousing the entire family with Lourdes water when one
          of us was sick. Just in case.

          Jehanne

          =====
          Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

          a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • s_krasley@recordtrak.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
            -

            > --- s_krasley@r... wrote:
            > >
            > > Looking over some of these cures, I'm amased they
            > > the human species actually survived to make it to
            > > the 21st century.
            > I'm not. I've seen too many people fall for the old
            > "Ewww. Here, taste this. It's awful!"

            I guess it really is a case of if it doesn't kill you then it can
            only make you stronger. Natural selection?

            > > Sure lets just rub Mercury on ourselves...and while
            > > we are at it lets ingest some arsenic for good
            > > measure...also do not forget your favorite saints
            > > medal just incase the "Cure" doesn't work.
            > Mom's been an RN since 1953, however, that never
            > stopped her from wearing medals, lighting candles and
            > dousing the entire family with Lourdes water when one
            > of us was sick. Just in case.
            >
            > Jehanne

            I'm not one for prayers, but I do think that the human mind can do
            wonders to heal it's body. If medals, prayer, holy water serve as a
            way to focus that energy all the better. Still I think I'll leave out
            the mercury and arsenic in any ancient reciepe.
            - Brynn
          • Kirrily Robert
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
              In lists.sca.authentic-sca, you wrote:

              >Looking over some of these cures, I'm amased they the human species
              >actually survived to make it to the 21st century. However I'm sure
              >several hundred years from now, other will think the same about us.
              >Sure lets just rub Mercury on ourselves...and while we are at it lets
              >ingest some arsenic for good measure...also do not forget your
              >favorite saints medal just incase the "Cure" doesn't work.

              I don't know. It's possible that some of these cures might have a tiny
              core of usefulness.

              Taking poison to drive out disease is basically what chemotherapy is.
              You just have to hope that it kills the cancer before it kills the
              patient.

              I read something somewhere, fairly recently, that suggested that
              bleeding might actually be useful in some cases, because it kicks the
              body into "Yikes, I've lost some blood, let's get healing!" mode.

              And for that matter, the doctrine of humours isn't entirely whacko
              either. If you have a wet phlegmy cough and go to a modern pharmacist
              they'll give you something to dry it out; if you have a dry cough,
              they'll give you something to make it productive. If you have a fever,
              you take aspirin to reduce your temperature. The only thing different
              is that the medieval people didn't have aspirin, so they used "cool"
              herbs, which may have been considered "cool" either because of their
              actual medicinal properties, or because of some other reason entirely.
              They didn't have much of a scientific mindset, so they didn't perform
              double-blind experiments to see what effect each herb had, but
              presumably hundreds or thousands of years of informal observation would
              have led them to a viewpoint which, while not always correct, was
              somewhat better than total randomness.

              And then there's the placebo effect, and "faith healing", which are
              basically the same thing. The human mind can do strange things
              sometimes.

              Yours,

              Katherine

              --
              Kirrily 'Skud' Robert - skud@... - http://infotrope.net/
              "It's a teeny-weeny bit bigger than all the original files. For
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
                > I don't know. It's possible that some of these cures might have a
                tiny
                > core of usefulness.

                That I don't doubt. It's just figuring out which of the ingredents is
                what is useful.

                > Taking poison to drive out disease is basically what chemotherapy
                is.
                > You just have to hope that it kills the cancer before it kills the
                > patient.

                I forgot about that.

                > I read something somewhere, fairly recently, that suggested that
                > bleeding might actually be useful in some cases, because it kicks
                the
                > body into "Yikes, I've lost some blood, let's get healing!" mode.

                I read that too, and that does make sense. Just don't bleed someone
                too much. And leeches are making a come back for treatment of severe
                bruises.

                > And for that matter, the doctrine of humours isn't entirely whacko
                > either. If you have a wet phlegmy cough and go to a modern
                pharmacist
                > they'll give you something to dry it out; if you have a dry cough,
                > they'll give you something to make it productive. If you have a
                fever,
                > you take aspirin to reduce your temperature. The only thing
                different
                > is that the medieval people didn't have aspirin, so they used "cool"
                > herbs, which may have been considered "cool" either because of their
                > actual medicinal properties, or because of some other reason
                entirely.

                If memory serve, willow bark and several other herbs have the same
                chemicals as aspirin just in much smaller amounts. I do like to try
                some of the old methods, like moist air to break up a cough. Cool
                clothes to help reduce a fever (along with some aspirin).

                > They didn't have much of a scientific mindset, so they didn't
                perform
                > double-blind experiments to see what effect each herb had, but
                > presumably hundreds or thousands of years of informal observation
                would
                > have led them to a viewpoint which, while not always correct, was
                > somewhat better than total randomness.

                I've really just started looking into some of the older rememdies for
                things. Mostly minor stuff, for on cuts or burns. Coughs and colds.
                since most over the counter drugs only treat the symptoms and not the
                illness, I figure I can do the same thing without the chemicals.

                > And then there's the placebo effect, and "faith healing", which are
                > basically the same thing. The human mind can do strange things
                > sometimes.

                VERY TRUE

              • unclrashid@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 2, 2001
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., s_krasley@r... wrote:

                  > Looking over some of these cures, I'm amased they the human species
                  > actually survived to make it to the 21st century. However I'm sure
                  > several hundred years from now, other will think the same about us.
                  > Sure lets just rub Mercury on ourselves...and while we are at it
                  lets
                  > ingest some arsenic for good measure...also do not forget your
                  > favorite saints medal just incase the "Cure" doesn't work.
                  > - Brynn
                  >

                  > > Vittoria
                  > > > >
                  > > >For the french or spanish Pox:
                  > > >Take quick-silver, and kill it with fasting spittle, then take
                  > > >Verdigrease, Arabick, Turpentine, Oyl Olive, and Populion, & mix
                  > them
                  > > >together to one intire oyntment, and anoint the sores therewith,
                  &

                  Actually I beleive mercury componds were used to treat "poxes" until
                  the development of modern antibiotics, and we may be going back there
                  soon if more drug-resistant varieties arise, so I don't know how much
                  more advanced we are.

                  In more recent history, (19th & 20th century) almost any new
                  discovery is beleived to be a panacea. Magnetism & Radiation for
                  example. In the 30's they thought radium was good for you.

                  Rashid