Re: [Authentic_SCA] Linguistics question...

  • Ariane Helou
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2001
      Effingham wrote:
      >Did he say "joot" or "yoot"? <g>

      "Joot." Does that make him thoroughly uncouth? :)

      >Didn't anyone think to look at a dictionary? Didn't your teacher even think of
      >that?

      Well, I have to admit the thought crossed my mind, but my dictionaries are
      in the boxes and boxes of stuff that are in the keeping of my very obliging
      boyfriend until I move into my new place (and therefore inaccessible). And
      yeah, the libraries and computers would be good resources too, but still,
      the teacher didn't think of it and no one else in the class seemed to
      care. But I do agree that most teachers would have immediately suggested
      checking a dictionary. This one's a little...well...not the best I've ever
      had :( Today he spent half an hour trying to get the class to understand a
      very simple concept which most profs. could explain much more lucidly in
      half that time...

      >Most good dictionaries *have* etymologies where you can find that sort of
      >thing.

      Yeah, yeah, I know. My dad taught me that the OED was the holiest book in
      the house <g>. And even humbler dictionaries are quite useful.

      >KEG comes from the Anglo-Saxon KAG, which came from the Norse word KAGGI.

      Thank you! So it's a Germanic word and not a Celtic one. That answers my
      question perfectly :)

      And Dorje (though isn't Caoilte more likely to know about this? ;) wrote:
      >>Its probably a word that predates both welsh and English, or it could
      have gone
      the other way. Still, this is kind of a mystery to me. Traditional history
      portrays a germanic invasion that pushed the Brythonic population into Wales
      and Cornwall.

      Yeah, the teacher didn't seem to hot on the details of political history,
      but that's the impression I got.

      >>The Archeologucal evidence doesn't show a lot of disruption in
      everyday life during this time. Was there really a violent displacement or
      were the common people simply assimilated into the new Anglo-Saxon culture? If
      they were assimilated why didn't the Brithonic language have more influence on
      Old English?

      Very good questions. *Wish* I knew the answers!

      >>I don't know the answer to your question, but if anyone has a
      frisian dictionary or speaks frisian, see if the word Keg appears in the
      frisian dialect. It shares an origin with Anglo-Saxon and would not have been
      influenced by Welsh or Cornish.

      Right, because Frisian is also Germanic. Any idea if it predates
      Anglo-Saxon? (Or is it spoken nowadays? I have no clue what the time
      frame is for that one.) At any rate, there must be a dictionary of it
      *somewhere* that's accessible. Well, now I have a project to keep me busy
      over the weekend! :)

      Thanks for the info, folks! I appreciate it :)

      Vittoria
      planning to go Frisian-hunting soon as her homework permits
    • Ingrid G. Storrø
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
        Ariane Helou wrote:
        > Effingham wrote:

        > >KEG comes from the Anglo-Saxon KAG, which came from the Norse word KAGGI.
        >
        > Thank you! So it's a Germanic word and not a Celtic one. That answers my
        > question perfectly :)

        Just in case you're interested; in Norway the word has evolved into
        "kagge", and is used in that form today to mean a small barrel. :)

        Ingrid
        --
        Reality is for people who can't apply makeup.
      • Anthony J. Bryant
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
          Ariane Helou wrote:

          > Effingham wrote:
          > >Did he say "joot" or "yoot"? <g>
          >
          > "Joot." Does that make him thoroughly uncouth? :)

          A bit, yes. <G>

          > >Didn't anyone think to look at a dictionary? Didn't your teacher even think of
          > >that?
          >
          > Well, I have to admit the thought crossed my mind, but my dictionaries are
          > in the boxes and boxes of stuff that are in the keeping of my very obliging
          > boyfriend until I move into my new place (and therefore inaccessible). And
          > yeah, the libraries and computers would be good resources too, but still,
          > the teacher didn't think of it and no one else in the class seemed to
          > care. But I do agree that most teachers would have immediately suggested
          > checking a dictionary. This one's a little...well...not the best I've ever
          > had :( Today he spent half an hour trying to get the class to understand a
          > very simple concept which most profs. could explain much more lucidly in
          > half that time...

          I think at one time or another most of us have had teachers like that.

          I still remember my 9th grade history teacher who talked of people dying for their
          cause as "martee-ars" ("martyrs" I assume), and referring to a Rev War battle site
          as Fort "TickenderAHgah" (Oh, you mean "Tye-kon-der-OH-gah?") and had as one
          question on a test, "What year did the United States become independent from
          England?" I put down 1783, the year the treaty was signed. She marked it wrong,
          and said the correct answer was 1776. I pointed out that that was when the
          *Declaration* of Independence was written, and that *declaring* independence and
          *being* independent were two different things, yada yada yada. SHe called the
          principal, and when he heard what it was all about, told her I was right and she
          was wrong. When I watch "Boston Public," that teacher with the mental problem (the
          lady who keeps going off her meds) reminds me of her in *so* many ways.

          Effingham
        • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
             had as one question on a test, "What year did the United States become independent from England?" I put down 1783, the year the treaty was signed. She marked it wrong, and said the correct answer was 1776. I pointed out that that was when the
            *Declaration* of Independence was written, and that declaring* independence and *being* independent were two different things, yada yada yada. SHe called the principal, and when he heard what it was all about, told her I was right and she
            was wrong.

            I don't even want to begin in the realm of conversation the number of students that liked me as a substitute teacher because I always was right when I gave them facts (and their teacher didn't).  And boy, did some of them try to prove me wrong just because I was the sub.

            When I did my student teaching, the eighth grade for the school (yes, I was a student teacher for eighth grade US history) went on a trip that included Gettysburg.  I did a 3 day lesson on it right before they left and my kids were correcting the guides and consistently proved right!  The principal was very impressed and the kids felt tremendously smart.  Mine were the only kids that could keep up with the flashing map of the battle, because they knew what had happened.  They kept having to tell the other kids what was going on.

            Despina who really did like teaching......

            When I watch "Boston Public," that teacher with the mental problem (the lady who keeps going off her meds) reminds me of her in *so* many ways.

            I think I'm more and more glad I don't watch television......
          • s_krasley@recordtrak.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
              > I think at one time or another most of us have had teachers like
              that.

              LAst year near the end of school, the history teacher desided to show
              "Braveheart". My Daughter who was a senior, wound up teaching the
              class showing them all of the historical as well as costuming
              mistakes that had been made in the movie.
              When the teacher asked her how she knew all of this, she nicely said
              "my mom and all of her books".

              Oh this is the same girl that got one of her teachers to quit.
              The women was teaching English. They were doing "Antigone".
              The teacher pronounced it AN-TEE-GONE, Jill kept correcting her.
              However when the teacher asked her how did she know, Jill's answer
              was, one of her gerbils is named AN-TIG-O-NE. And that she'd already
              read all the plays. Jill had a perverse delight in proving that
              particular teacher wrong at every turn.
              - Brynn
            • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
                Brynn,

                I *really* like your kid.

                Despina

              • s_krasley@recordtrak.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
                  > Brynn,
                  >
                  > I *really* like your kid.
                  >
                  > Despina

                  She's my little "Goth" girl (But with white blonde hair). She was on
                  the school paper and wrote an article on "Wicca not Witchcraft". She
                  and her sister have sorts grown up with my obsession. Jill's friends
                  use to discribe my interior decorating as looking like a Meatloaf
                  video.
                  - Brynn
                • caoilte
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
                    Ariane Helou wrote:

                    > And Dorje (though isn't Caoilte more likely to know about this? ;) wrote:

                    Probably, but he's currently busy beung tied up on the back burner of Will's
                    stove. I might let him loose again sometime when he learns what to wear. (Blame
                    Kass)

                    Dorje