FW: St. David War

  • stephen higa
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2001
      My college is going to war with another college; I'm A&S officer for my
      college and I was trying to think of some ideas for contests/activities.
      Any more ideas? :)

      Moshe
      Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
      menhs en cort que de belh saber
      de trobar -- qu'auzir e vezer
      hi vol hom mais captenhs leugiers
      e critz mesclatz ab dezonor.

      --Guiraut Riquier, 1292

      ----------
      From: "stephen higa" <mitsuo@...>
      To: "Aviva (Hannah) Goldmann" <goldmann@...>
      Subject: St. David War
      Date: Sun, Feb 11, 2001, 11:35 AM

      So--how about some A&S contests/activities? Some ideas--

      1) A period song (600-1600), submitted with documentation (about a page,
      double-spaced). Non-English okay; historical pronunciation preferable.
      I mean, come ON people, we're college students! We should know how to do a
      little research!

      2) A period-style satire in any form of professors or college life in
      general (any culture or time period, 600-1600).

      3) Philosophical debate, extolling the virtues of the other college's
      mascot.

      4) Period-style ode to one's college (no folk-sounding melodies--those are
      easy; only medieval-or Renaissance-sounding ones if one wants a melody at
      all)(any culture or time period, 600-1600).

      5) Period-style skit about college life, the more accurately presented the
      better (any culture or time period, 600-1600).

      6) Renga--medieval Japanese linked "haiku;" first one person goes, then the
      next, &c.

      7) Ode to one's major (any culture or time period, 600-1600).

      8) Period-style scientific treatises (alchemy, renaissance science, natural
      history, astrology, cosmology, architecture, medieval scholastic,
      kabbalistic, &c.) for various things; i.e. good grades, courtship, getting
      along with one's roommate, enduring dormitory food, &c.

      NOTE: satires must contain no references to modern things for humor. Some
      modern things relating to college life are acceptable if they are not
      obviously modern and are dealt with in a period manner. Poetry must be in a
      period style.

      I know some various medieval games to play, too. :) Blind man's bluff?
      Gameball? Kitty in the Corner? Relay Tag? Pickaback Relay? &c., &c.

      If I think of any more, I'll e-mail 'em to you. :)
      Moshe Mantega