Re: [Authentic_SCA] circlet

  • Beth
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2001
      The restrictions about wearing circlets vary from Kingdom to Kingdom. Some have none, others actually feel the need to have sumptuary laws, while most rely on peer  (or Peer ) pressure to keep ostentatious display in check. Typically non-metal bands, or metal bands less than 1/4" in height are ignored and items made out of other materials are considered hats.

      As an example, if you live in Meridies one of the privileges that comes with an Award of Arms is the wearing a 1/4" circlet. If there is nobody that can answer your specific question locally, there should be a Clerk of Law or a similar officer associated with your Kingdom's Seneschalate that can send you a copy of the Kingdom's Law, direct you to an on-line copy, or answer your questions.

      You mentioned you were rather new, and so I don't want to confuse you with a bunch political babble, but I want to point out to you that you asked to distinct questions: 1) is it period? and 2) is it acceptable? The difference between what is period and what is acceptable in the SCA can be two very different things, and one of the reasons that there is a separate newsgroup for people who are interested in going as far as they can and learning as much as there is about how it really was.

      If all I did was give you more questions about the SCA structure/politics, please feel free to contact me off-list so we don't stray too far from the topic. I've lived in 7 different Kingdoms and might be able to direct you toward somebody that I actually know.

      Welcome to the family!

      Ragnel

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2001
        Thanks. Actually, he used the copper wire and wrapped
        it. It is tightly wrapped and from a distance might
        look like just one thick wire, but it's several little
        ones. I forgot to say that before. Sorry. He did it
        while he was trying to figure out something else, but
        it's really cute and I would love to wear it if it's
        period and excepted in our kingdom.--- Stephen Higa
        <mitsuo@...> wrote:
        > I sent this query to some folks, and one responded
        > by saying:
        >
        > "However, I highly doubt that it is period -- as a
        > matter of fact, I have
        > yet to see any evidence of any sort of maille
        > decoration dated prior to this
        > century."
        >
        > He also said that if you find any evidence, he'd
        > like to see it, though!
        >
        > If anybody else responds, I'll forward it... :)
        >
        > Moshe Mantega
        > Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
        > menhs en cort que de belh saber
        > de trobar -- qu'auzir e vezer
        > hi vol hom mais captenhs leugiers
        > e critz mesclatz ab dezonor.
        >
        > --Guiraut Riquier, 1292
        >

        > ----------
        > >From: "Dan and Julie Gallivan"
        > <juliegallivan@...>
        > >To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [Authentic_SCA] circlet
        > >Date: Wed, Feb 7, 2001, 6:14 PM
        > >

        > > Hi! My husband and I are pretty new to the SCA.
        > He has started to
        > > make chain mail and other things out of copper.
        > He made me a copper
        > > circlet and I was wondering if that would be
        > acceptable in the SCA.
        > > I've been trying to research it and although I've
        > found information
        > > that leds me to believe that it's period, I don't
        > to wear something
        > > that isn't allowed. Is it okay to wear these or
        > not?
        > >
        > > Thanks, Julie
        > >

        > > This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • stephen higa
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 11, 2001
          No, my fault. Somebody else just pointed out that you probably weren't
          saying it was chain mail...oops!

          Moshe