  • Paet Burcham
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2014
      I am a  member of SCA,  Cleftlands.  My persona is Celtic about 1000AD.  Any info on this period would be very welcome.

      Paet..........aka Grannia.
      paetsart1946@...
      www.paetsart.com
    • Folo Watkins
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 14, 2014

        My persona is Celtic about 1000AD.  Any info on this period would be very welcome.

        http://regia.org/history/celts1.htm

        Cheers, Folo

        This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

        .

        This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

        .

      • Marguerite fitz William
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 14, 2014

          Good afternoon Paet,

          Where are you geographically?  By 1000AD the Celts had pretty well divided up into the divisions we know today: Welsh, Scot, Irish, Breton, etc. All with differing (by various degrees) languages and cultures

          Marguerite

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 14, 2014
            yeah. it's dangerously unspecific to say "Celtic" it's very much like saying "European".
            "Celtic" describes about half of Europe through about 3500 years.
            From 1500 BC La Tene cultures in Salzburg to modern Scotland, with a trip to Gallic France in the middle.
            At this time (1000 CE) the Coastal (non Bretaigne) French and the Welsh would probably not recognize each other, and the Scots (actually Irish) settling in Scotland would absolutely not recognize kinship with the Welsh.
            Heck, at this time there are significant parts of Ireland that do not culturally recognize each other!!

            Capt Elias

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 14, 2014
                Mea Culpa!

                Please forgive my previous e-mail asking about Celtic culture!  You probably think I also say "sell-tik"!  I had just come off some horrid number crunching and had a horrid headache and was nowhere specific enough!

                I have been in the SCA for about 18 years.  My Celtic persona lives in the western part of Ireland in what is now Achill Island, County Mayo, Ireland.  I have been searching for more definitive information on this area and Ireland in general in the  time period around 1000 CE.

                I have many copies of different legends of Ireland, the Brehon laws and etc.  My real nationality is Irish and I have visited most of Ireland and Ulster many years ago.  I now need to pull things together and properly build this persona and bring her alive.

                I have looked through all the books I could find on Ireland in that period and especially have tried to find information on the clothing worn in that period.  Most I have found were written by the English and show a certain point of view about the Irish.  I have, so far, modeled  my garb more closely after Anglo-Saxon and early Norman French.  Oh, I know this is probably not correct - but given what I have had to work with I didn't feel that I had any choice.

                I would appreciate if anyone has some better info on Ireland in that time period or up through, say the 14th. Century, if you could pass this on to me I would be most appreciative.

                I am aware of how much the Celts did in all the centuries they held sway, and I am aware of how many areas they lived in.  I am an artist by trade and have spent many years studying the different forms of Celtic art from area to area.

                It is now time that I give my persona more depth and begin to do things properly.  It is because of this that I have asked for information.

                I thank you for any information you can give me to help flesh out my persona and put proper   clothing on her back.  I also belong to historic knitting and have learned much from other SCA'ers on that list.  I hope to learn as much from this list.  I know you all have the knowledge.

                I look forward to haring from you.

                Paet...........aka Grainna
                paetsart1946@...
                www.paetsart.com