Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: psalm tones

  • George A.Trosper
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 5 8:06 AM
      On 8/5/2013 8:35 AM, Andrea Luxenburg wrote:
      > However, something turns out to be recently published that may be
      > exactly what you want, a paperback titled "The Psalter and the Canticles
      > of the New King James Version: Set to the Gregorian Psalm Tones in
      > Modern Notation and Supplied with Appropriate Antiphons" by Jerald P.
      > Dulas:http://www.amazon.com/dp/1475195729/ref=rdr_ext_tmb under $30.
      >
      > ***This does look to be exactly what I need - with antiphons as a bonus, and the distribution of which psalm is sung to which tone. It's gone on my "as soon as my check comes" list. Thank you ever so much.
      >
      > Andromeda
      I'd suppose Dulas has chosen which psalm to sing to which tone on
      sensible grounds. But to the best of my knowledge, there is no firm
      tradition in this regard. E.g., when I was in a choir, one major factor
      was which tone(s) the group was familiar with.
    • Andrea Luxenburg
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 5 11:58 AM
        Indeed? I somehow assumed that there was a set assignment of psalms to tones. No matter, if I don't have to work it out for myself I can get on with learning the psalms.

        In the Eastern church, each Sunday has a particular assigned tone, and they rotate in order beginning with Tone 1 after Pascha (Easter). But I don't know what the norm for psalms is, given that the ideal is to recite the entire psalter each week.

        Andromeda