Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: psalm tones

  • George A.Trosper
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2013
      Um, most missals didn't have music. I don't say none of them did or that
      Saionji no Hana is wrong. Nevertheless, I don't remember any, and I had
      more than one missal for the laity in the '60s and perhaps before. And I
      don't think the priest's missals had psalm tones.

      However, the St. Gregory Hymnal and Catholic Choir Book was popular. It
      may be available in used book shops and is certainly so on line, at
      widely varying prices--very little for paperback, under $30 for
      hardback, if you don't want a collectible copy. You probably want the
      "Complete Edition" which contains the supplement offering "A Collection
      of Gregorian and Ambrosian Chants" as wells as "Liturgical Hymns and
      Motets in Polyphonic and Homophonic style (with Approved Texts)."

      And the Anglican "Hymns Ancient and Modern" has--or had--a great many
      hymns w/ chant versions on the verso facing modern tunes on the recto.
      There's a current edition in print, but I don't know if it meets that
      description or you need an earlier version.

      Whether any of these actually have psalm tones, rather than other
      Gregorian stuff, I don't guarantee.

      However, something turns out to be recently published that may be
      exactly what you want, a paperback titled "The Psalter and the Canticles
      of the New King James Version: Set to the Gregorian Psalm Tones in
      Modern Notation and Supplied with Appropriate Antiphons" by Jerald P.
      Dulas: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1475195729/ref=rdr_ext_tmb under $30.

      --George A. Trosper/Michael Gerard Curtememoire (both of whom have sung
      psalm tones)

      On 8/4/2013 10:52 AM, LJonthebay wrote:
      > -- InAuthentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Luxenburg<huwydd@...> wrote:
      >> I am looking for the traditional Gregorian/plainchant psalm tones in modern notation. A web search found some in neumes, and many newer chants (Taize, Anglican, Lutheran, etc). Any suggestions?
      > See if you can get your hands on an old Catholic missal from before Vatican II. I seem to recall seeing modern music notation in one my mother hand.
      >
      > Saionji no Hana, West Kingdom
    • Andrea Luxenburg
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 5, 2013
        ________________________________

        However, something turns out to be recently published that may be
        exactly what you want, a paperback titled "The Psalter and the Canticles
        of the New King James Version: Set to the Gregorian Psalm Tones in
        Modern Notation and Supplied with Appropriate Antiphons" by Jerald P.
        Dulas: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1475195729/ref=rdr_ext_tmb under $30.

        ***This does look to be exactly what I need - with antiphons as a bonus, and the distribution of which psalm is sung to which tone. It's gone on my "as soon as my check comes" list. Thank you ever so much.

        Andromeda

      • George A.Trosper
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 5, 2013
          On 8/5/2013 8:35 AM, Andrea Luxenburg wrote:
          > However, something turns out to be recently published that may be
          > exactly what you want, a paperback titled "The Psalter and the Canticles
          > of the New King James Version: Set to the Gregorian Psalm Tones in
          > Modern Notation and Supplied with Appropriate Antiphons" by Jerald P.
          > Dulas:http://www.amazon.com/dp/1475195729/ref=rdr_ext_tmb under $30.
          >
          > ***This does look to be exactly what I need - with antiphons as a bonus, and the distribution of which psalm is sung to which tone. It's gone on my "as soon as my check comes" list. Thank you ever so much.
          >
          > Andromeda
          I'd suppose Dulas has chosen which psalm to sing to which tone on
          sensible grounds. But to the best of my knowledge, there is no firm
          tradition in this regard. E.g., when I was in a choir, one major factor
          was which tone(s) the group was familiar with.
        • Andrea Luxenburg
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5, 2013
            Indeed? I somehow assumed that there was a set assignment of psalms to tones. No matter, if I don't have to work it out for myself I can get on with learning the psalms.

            In the Eastern church, each Sunday has a particular assigned tone, and they rotate in order beginning with Tone 1 after Pascha (Easter). But I don't know what the norm for psalms is, given that the ideal is to recite the entire psalter each week.

            Andromeda