Re: 11th Century Assistance

  • elladartois
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2013
      Thank you both for your replies. All information being taken into consideration as she and I discuss her options :)

      -E

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Marguerite fitz William <M_fitzWIlliam@...> wrote:

      > Greetings Ella,
      >

      > The bliaut was a mid-late 12th century fashion, and as far as I know you
      > wouldn't have used your heraldry on it. Heraldry was just beginning in the
      > 12th century and really hadn't gotten very formalized, yet.
      >

      > Marguerite fitz William, JdL
      > Courtier to His Excellency Steinolf of Aquaterra
      > Veneur & Swan
      > Motto: Et Hoc Quoque Transibit
      > Or, a natural panther stantant contourney
      > sable, on a chief engrailed vert, three plates
      >
      > MargueritefitzWilliam-email

    • gianottadallafiora
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2013
        The 11th century bliaut was really more of a long flowing overtunic rather than the form-fitting, long drapey sleeve thing it turned into later with the French in the 12th and 13th centuries.

        Royal ceremonial styles tended to ape Byzantine styles in that period; you may want to aim more towards that.

        YIS,
        Adelisa Salernitana