RE: [Authentic_SCA] 11th Century Assistance

  • Marguerite fitz William
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2013
      Greetings Ella,

      The bliaut was a mid-late 12th century fashion, and as far as I know you
      wouldn't have used your heraldry on it. Heraldry was just beginning in the
      12th century and really hadn't gotten very formalized, yet.

      Marguerite fitz William, JdL
      Courtier to His Excellency Steinolf of Aquaterra
      Veneur & Swan
      Motto: Et Hoc Quoque Transibit
      Or, a natural panther stantant contourney
      sable, on a chief engrailed vert, three plates

      MargueritefitzWilliam-email

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2013
        Thank you both for your replies. All information being taken into consideration as she and I discuss her options :)

        -E

        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Marguerite fitz William <M_fitzWIlliam@...> wrote:

        > Greetings Ella,
        >

        > The bliaut was a mid-late 12th century fashion, and as far as I know you
        > wouldn't have used your heraldry on it. Heraldry was just beginning in the
        > 12th century and really hadn't gotten very formalized, yet.
        >

        > Marguerite fitz William, JdL
        > Courtier to His Excellency Steinolf of Aquaterra
        > Veneur & Swan
        > Motto: Et Hoc Quoque Transibit
        > Or, a natural panther stantant contourney
        > sable, on a chief engrailed vert, three plates
        >
        > MargueritefitzWilliam-email

      • gianottadallafiora
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2013
          The 11th century bliaut was really more of a long flowing overtunic rather than the form-fitting, long drapey sleeve thing it turned into later with the French in the 12th and 13th centuries.

          Royal ceremonial styles tended to ape Byzantine styles in that period; you may want to aim more towards that.

          YIS,
          Adelisa Salernitana