Authentic bed for camping?

  • ElleD
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2013
      Gentlefolk:

      I'm gearing up for Pennsic and looking for a bed that I can break down to fit in my SUV which will also sleep two adults and look reasonably period. I'm having trouble finding such an article.

      My husband and I, unfortunately, are not even remotely handy with woodworking, so the chances of us making a bed are slim to none. And neither of us is looking forward to sleeping on an air mattress, or the ground.

      Does anyone know of some place, or someone, making/selling beds that would work for Pennsic?

      I did find one craftsman, but he specializes in 18th-century woodworking, such as cannon-ball beds. He also makes pencil-post beds, but I'm not sure if that's period, or if he could make one in time.

      Help!
      Elspeth Elphinstone Na Suithearlaraichean (MKA Elizabeth Oakes-Harmon)
    • Folo Watkins
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2013
        > I'm gearing up for Pennsic and looking for a bed that I can break down to fit in my SUV which will also sleep two adults and look reasonably period. I'm having trouble finding such an article.

        Contact Dan Speer at Argent Fox Music. He makes a Gokstad style bed; I have used mine for several years. He will probably be at Pennsic and can bring the bed with him most probably. http://www.argentfox.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=18&Itemid=18'

        Cheers, Dan
      • Jessica Ackerman
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2013
          This bed looks really easy to make, it's on my pinterest, but click through
          to see a final version of the bed. It's on my long term "to do" list.
          http://pinterest.com/pin/206250857906610168

          ~Alexandra (Shandra) Vazquez de Granada

          Calontir

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2013
            I have been happy with my purchases from Egill's Woodstuffs.
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Egills-Woodstuffs/200135606693363?fref=ts

            I believe he sets up shop at Pennsic as well. Perhaps you could arrange for
            onsite delivery.

            -Andronikos

            On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 11:46 AM, ElleD <elledreaming@...> wrote:

            > Gentlefolk:
            >
            > I'm gearing up for Pennsic and looking for a bed that I can break down to
            > fit in my SUV which will also sleep two adults and look reasonably period.
            > I'm having trouble finding such an article.
            >
            > My husband and I, unfortunately, are not even remotely handy with
            > woodworking, so the chances of us making a bed are slim to none. And
            > neither of us is looking forward to sleeping on an air mattress, or the
            > ground.
            >
            > Does anyone know of some place, or someone, making/selling beds that would
            > work for Pennsic?
            >
            > I did find one craftsman, but he specializes in 18th-century woodworking,
            > such as cannon-ball beds. He also makes pencil-post beds, but I'm not sure
            > if that's period, or if he could make one in time.
            >
            > Help!
            > Elspeth Elphinstone Na Suithearlaraichean (MKA Elizabeth Oakes-Harmon)

          • Andrea Luxenburg
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2013
              I am looking for the traditional Gregorian/plainchant psalm tones in modern notation. A web search found some in neumes, and many newer chants (Taize, Anglican, Lutheran, etc). Any suggestions?

              Thanks.

              Andromeda

            • LJonthebay
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 4, 2013
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Luxenburg <huwydd@...> wrote:

                > I am looking for the traditional Gregorian/plainchant psalm tones in modern notation. A web search found some in neumes, and many newer chants (Taize, Anglican, Lutheran, etc). Any suggestions?

                See if you can get your hands on an old Catholic missal from before Vatican II. I seem to recall seeing modern music notation in one my mother hand.

                Saionji no Hana, West Kingdom
              • George A.Trosper
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 4, 2013
                  Um, most missals didn't have music. I don't say none of them did or that
                  Saionji no Hana is wrong. Nevertheless, I don't remember any, and I had
                  more than one missal for the laity in the '60s and perhaps before. And I
                  don't think the priest's missals had psalm tones.

                  However, the St. Gregory Hymnal and Catholic Choir Book was popular. It
                  may be available in used book shops and is certainly so on line, at
                  widely varying prices--very little for paperback, under $30 for
                  hardback, if you don't want a collectible copy. You probably want the
                  "Complete Edition" which contains the supplement offering "A Collection
                  of Gregorian and Ambrosian Chants" as wells as "Liturgical Hymns and
                  Motets in Polyphonic and Homophonic style (with Approved Texts)."

                  And the Anglican "Hymns Ancient and Modern" has--or had--a great many
                  hymns w/ chant versions on the verso facing modern tunes on the recto.
                  There's a current edition in print, but I don't know if it meets that
                  description or you need an earlier version.

                  Whether any of these actually have psalm tones, rather than other
                  Gregorian stuff, I don't guarantee.

                  However, something turns out to be recently published that may be
                  exactly what you want, a paperback titled "The Psalter and the Canticles
                  of the New King James Version: Set to the Gregorian Psalm Tones in
                  Modern Notation and Supplied with Appropriate Antiphons" by Jerald P.
                  Dulas: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1475195729/ref=rdr_ext_tmb under $30.

                  --George A. Trosper/Michael Gerard Curtememoire (both of whom have sung
                  psalm tones)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 5, 2013
                    ________________________________

                    However, something turns out to be recently published that may be
                    exactly what you want, a paperback titled "The Psalter and the Canticles
                    of the New King James Version: Set to the Gregorian Psalm Tones in
                    Modern Notation and Supplied with Appropriate Antiphons" by Jerald P.
                    Dulas: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1475195729/ref=rdr_ext_tmb under $30.

                    ***This does look to be exactly what I need - with antiphons as a bonus, and the distribution of which psalm is sung to which tone. It's gone on my "as soon as my check comes" list. Thank you ever so much.

                    Andromeda

                  • George A.Trosper
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 5, 2013
                      On 8/5/2013 8:35 AM, Andrea Luxenburg wrote:
                      > However, something turns out to be recently published that may be
                      > exactly what you want, a paperback titled "The Psalter and the Canticles
                      > of the New King James Version: Set to the Gregorian Psalm Tones in
                      > Modern Notation and Supplied with Appropriate Antiphons" by Jerald P.
                      > Dulas:http://www.amazon.com/dp/1475195729/ref=rdr_ext_tmb under $30.
                      >
                      > ***This does look to be exactly what I need - with antiphons as a bonus, and the distribution of which psalm is sung to which tone. It's gone on my "as soon as my check comes" list. Thank you ever so much.
                      >
                      > Andromeda
                      I'd suppose Dulas has chosen which psalm to sing to which tone on
                      sensible grounds. But to the best of my knowledge, there is no firm
                      tradition in this regard. E.g., when I was in a choir, one major factor
                      was which tone(s) the group was familiar with.
                    • Andrea Luxenburg
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 5, 2013
                        Indeed? I somehow assumed that there was a set assignment of psalms to tones. No matter, if I don't have to work it out for myself I can get on with learning the psalms.

                        In the Eastern church, each Sunday has a particular assigned tone, and they rotate in order beginning with Tone 1 after Pascha (Easter). But I don't know what the norm for psalms is, given that the ideal is to recite the entire psalter each week.

                        Andromeda