Re: [Authentic_SCA] Urgent request for help with Viking garb

  • Catherine Olanich Raymond
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18, 2013
      On 04/18/2013 02:13 PM, ElleD wrote:

      > Greetings to all,
      >
      > My name is Elspeth Elphinstone o' DunRobin and I am a new SCA member
      interested in authenticity as much as possible.

      > I am seeking help for another member of my barony who posted on our
      group this morning urgently needing help with clothing for her Viking
      persona.

      > I've included part of her missive below. Please respond if you are
      able to help, and I will forward your answers to her.

      > "When I joined the SCA, I already harboured a fondness for Norse
      culture and to discover they have fantastic garb...choice made! I
      researched a bit and decided ninth-century Eastern Scandinavian,
      possibly Swedish, was the way to go. This is where I got stuck. I'm
      having a difficult time finding information on specific clothing cuts
      from that period, much of what I've found is contradictory (even from
      people who appear to have done a great deal of research). Obviously, a
      great many styles can be present in an era, I'd just like some examples
      of typical garments and clothing treatments. It's around this time
      garments become more tailored and I'd like to go this route (I shall not
      deny vanity's part). I know the styles of Scandinavian clothing I like,
      but I'd like to be reasonably accurate and not just a mish-mash of
      places and times. I have reached the place where if I can find an
      intersection of my garb choices, I'll pick that place and time." [snip]

      Elspeth--if your friend wants to try to make a decision as to her garb
      based upon the archaeological research, these articles provide a good
      summary of the material--including material that is not available in
      English:

      http://urd.priv.no/viking/smokkr.html

      http://urd.priv.no/viking/serk.html

      http://urd.priv.no/viking/kostrup.html