Re: [Authentic_SCA] Urgent request for help with Viking garb

  • rosslchristenson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18, 2013
      This is another great site as well :
      Https://sites.google.com/site/archoevidence/home/viking-clothing-guidesĀ

      Sent from Samsung Mobile

    • Catherine Olanich Raymond
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 18, 2013
        On 04/18/2013 02:13 PM, ElleD wrote:

        > Greetings to all,
        >
        > My name is Elspeth Elphinstone o' DunRobin and I am a new SCA member
        interested in authenticity as much as possible.

        > I am seeking help for another member of my barony who posted on our
        group this morning urgently needing help with clothing for her Viking
        persona.

        > I've included part of her missive below. Please respond if you are
        able to help, and I will forward your answers to her.

        > "When I joined the SCA, I already harboured a fondness for Norse
        culture and to discover they have fantastic garb...choice made! I
        researched a bit and decided ninth-century Eastern Scandinavian,
        possibly Swedish, was the way to go. This is where I got stuck. I'm
        having a difficult time finding information on specific clothing cuts
        from that period, much of what I've found is contradictory (even from
        people who appear to have done a great deal of research). Obviously, a
        great many styles can be present in an era, I'd just like some examples
        of typical garments and clothing treatments. It's around this time
        garments become more tailored and I'd like to go this route (I shall not
        deny vanity's part). I know the styles of Scandinavian clothing I like,
        but I'd like to be reasonably accurate and not just a mish-mash of
        places and times. I have reached the place where if I can find an
        intersection of my garb choices, I'll pick that place and time." [snip]

        Elspeth--if your friend wants to try to make a decision as to her garb
        based upon the archaeological research, these articles provide a good
        summary of the material--including material that is not available in
        English:

        http://urd.priv.no/viking/smokkr.html

        http://urd.priv.no/viking/serk.html

        http://urd.priv.no/viking/kostrup.html