Re: [Authentic_SCA] Urgent request for help with Viking garb

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18, 2013
      >"When I joined the SCA, I already harboured a fondness for Norse
      >culture and to discover they have fantastic garb...choice made! I
      >researched a bit and decided ninth-century Eastern Scandinavian,
      >possibly Swedish, was the way to go. This is where I got stuck. I'm
      >having a difficult time finding information on specific clothing
      >cuts from that period, much of what I've found is contradictory
      >(even from people who appear to have done a great deal of research).
      >Obviously, a great many styles can be present in an era, I'd just
      >like some examples of typical garments and clothing treatments. It's
      >around this time garments become more tailored and I'd like to go
      >this route (I shall not deny vanity's part). I know the styles of
      >Scandinavian clothing I like, but I'd like to be reasonably accurate
      >and not just a mish-mash of places and times. I have reached the
      >place where if I can find an intersection of my garb choices, I'll
      >pick that place and time.

      Take a look at http://regia.org/members/basclot.htm by my society.
      Very useful even if some details have been superceded by our
      authenticity regs
      (http://regia.org/members/docs/Authenticity_Regulations_2012%20v.1.2.pdf);
      reading the specific kit guides for certain eras might be useful.

      Cheers, Folo
      http://www.micelfolcland.org/
    • rosslchristenson
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 18, 2013
        This is another great site as well :
        Https://sites.google.com/site/archoevidence/home/viking-clothing-guidesĀ

        Sent from Samsung Mobile

      • Catherine Olanich Raymond
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 18, 2013
          On 04/18/2013 02:13 PM, ElleD wrote:

          > Greetings to all,
          >
          > My name is Elspeth Elphinstone o' DunRobin and I am a new SCA member
          interested in authenticity as much as possible.

          > I am seeking help for another member of my barony who posted on our
          group this morning urgently needing help with clothing for her Viking
          persona.

          > I've included part of her missive below. Please respond if you are
          able to help, and I will forward your answers to her.

          > "When I joined the SCA, I already harboured a fondness for Norse
          culture and to discover they have fantastic garb...choice made! I
          researched a bit and decided ninth-century Eastern Scandinavian,
          possibly Swedish, was the way to go. This is where I got stuck. I'm
          having a difficult time finding information on specific clothing cuts
          from that period, much of what I've found is contradictory (even from
          people who appear to have done a great deal of research). Obviously, a
          great many styles can be present in an era, I'd just like some examples
          of typical garments and clothing treatments. It's around this time
          garments become more tailored and I'd like to go this route (I shall not
          deny vanity's part). I know the styles of Scandinavian clothing I like,
          but I'd like to be reasonably accurate and not just a mish-mash of
          places and times. I have reached the place where if I can find an
          intersection of my garb choices, I'll pick that place and time." [snip]

          Elspeth--if your friend wants to try to make a decision as to her garb
          based upon the archaeological research, these articles provide a good
          summary of the material--including material that is not available in
          English:

          http://urd.priv.no/viking/smokkr.html

          http://urd.priv.no/viking/serk.html

          http://urd.priv.no/viking/kostrup.html