Urgent request for help with Viking garb

  • ElleD
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18, 2013
      Greetings to all,

      My name is Elspeth Elphinstone o' DunRobin and I am a new SCA member interested in authenticity as much as possible.

      I am seeking help for another member of my barony who posted on our group this morning urgently needing help with clothing for her Viking persona.

      I've included part of her missive below. Please respond if you are able to help, and I will forward your answers to her.

      "When I joined the SCA, I already harboured a fondness for Norse culture and to discover they have fantastic garb...choice made! I researched a bit and decided ninth-century Eastern Scandinavian, possibly Swedish, was the way to go. This is where I got stuck. I'm having a difficult time finding information on specific clothing cuts from that period, much of what I've found is contradictory (even from people who appear to have done a great deal of research). Obviously, a great many styles can be present in an era, I'd just like some examples of typical garments and clothing treatments. It's around this time garments become more tailored and I'd like to go this route (I shall not deny vanity's part). I know the styles of Scandinavian clothing I like, but I'd like to be reasonably accurate and not just a mish-mash of places and times. I have reached the place where if I can find an intersection of my garb choices, I'll pick that place and time.

      I prefer ninth-century culture, but am afraid the more tailored dresses, especially apeon (I assume she means "apron" here - Elspeth) dresses, didn't come about until the tenth century. I have more questions, but this one is the most pressing with the fabric sitting right in front of me begging to be completed by this weekend (that's right, last minute garb, oh yeah)."

      Bye the bye, my persona is Tudor Scottish and I am interested in affiliating/corresponding with any other households in the Known World who might also be of similar period. Any suggestions?

      Thank you kindly,

      Elspeth
      aka Liz Harmon
    • Folo Watkins
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 18, 2013
        >"When I joined the SCA, I already harboured a fondness for Norse
        >culture and to discover they have fantastic garb...choice made! I
        >researched a bit and decided ninth-century Eastern Scandinavian,
        >possibly Swedish, was the way to go. This is where I got stuck. I'm
        >having a difficult time finding information on specific clothing
        >cuts from that period, much of what I've found is contradictory
        >(even from people who appear to have done a great deal of research).
        >Obviously, a great many styles can be present in an era, I'd just
        >like some examples of typical garments and clothing treatments. It's
        >around this time garments become more tailored and I'd like to go
        >this route (I shall not deny vanity's part). I know the styles of
        >Scandinavian clothing I like, but I'd like to be reasonably accurate
        >and not just a mish-mash of places and times. I have reached the
        >place where if I can find an intersection of my garb choices, I'll
        >pick that place and time.

        Take a look at http://regia.org/members/basclot.htm by my society.
        Very useful even if some details have been superceded by our
        authenticity regs
        (http://regia.org/members/docs/Authenticity_Regulations_2012%20v.1.2.pdf);
        reading the specific kit guides for certain eras might be useful.

        Cheers, Folo
        http://www.micelfolcland.org/
      • rosslchristenson
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 18, 2013
          This is another great site as well :
          Https://sites.google.com/site/archoevidence/home/viking-clothing-guidesĀ

          Sent from Samsung Mobile

        • Catherine Olanich Raymond
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 18, 2013
            On 04/18/2013 02:13 PM, ElleD wrote:

            > Greetings to all,
            >
            > My name is Elspeth Elphinstone o' DunRobin and I am a new SCA member
            interested in authenticity as much as possible.

            > I am seeking help for another member of my barony who posted on our
            group this morning urgently needing help with clothing for her Viking
            persona.

            > I've included part of her missive below. Please respond if you are
            able to help, and I will forward your answers to her.

            > "When I joined the SCA, I already harboured a fondness for Norse
            culture and to discover they have fantastic garb...choice made! I
            researched a bit and decided ninth-century Eastern Scandinavian,
            possibly Swedish, was the way to go. This is where I got stuck. I'm
            having a difficult time finding information on specific clothing cuts
            from that period, much of what I've found is contradictory (even from
            people who appear to have done a great deal of research). Obviously, a
            great many styles can be present in an era, I'd just like some examples
            of typical garments and clothing treatments. It's around this time
            garments become more tailored and I'd like to go this route (I shall not
            deny vanity's part). I know the styles of Scandinavian clothing I like,
            but I'd like to be reasonably accurate and not just a mish-mash of
            places and times. I have reached the place where if I can find an
            intersection of my garb choices, I'll pick that place and time." [snip]

            Elspeth--if your friend wants to try to make a decision as to her garb
            based upon the archaeological research, these articles provide a good
            summary of the material--including material that is not available in
            English:

            http://urd.priv.no/viking/smokkr.html

            http://urd.priv.no/viking/serk.html

            http://urd.priv.no/viking/kostrup.html