Re: [Authentic_SCA] Embroidered hoods?

  • Kareina Talvi Tytär
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2012
      On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Des & Jan Howard <djhoward@...>wrote:

      > **
      > Kareina
      >
      > Personally I would make the hood to suit your period persona & wear a
      > modern reflective vest for your walks.
      > Reflective vests are more noticable than a disembodied head floating a
      > metre or so from the ground. As a
      > person who wears reflective clothing for emergency service work on night
      > time rural roads I want to make
      > traffic very aware of my presence.
      > Ranif

      Hi Ranif,

      I don't have a set period and persona of my own, but generally like a
      variety of early period styles. The reason I asked on the list is that I
      have NO idea when, where, or IF hoods were ever embroidered and decorated
      in SCA period, and I was hoping someone already knew of an example from
      somewhere/some when they could point me to.

      I am guessing from the resounding silence on that point that no one else
      actually knows of period examples of embroidered hoods, either. Therefore,
      now that I have a moment and some internet access I thought I would share
      what I little found, since I can't be the only person to ever wonder "did
      they embroider on their hoods?".

      The first thing I found was these two:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/racaire/3573960967/ and
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/racaire/3574767882/ which is the art which
      inspired Racaire when she made her hood:
      http://embroidery.racaire.at/?p=3401 I don't know where she found those
      sources, but to my eye they look like late middle ages.

      There is a good summary of hoods on line here:
      http://www.larsdatter.com/hoods.htm

      I don't recall reading about any embroidery on any of the Herjolfsnes
      hoods, just that there were a variety of different patterns.

      Sadly, I am out of time for on-line research just now, so will have to
      return to this another day to find anything else...

      --Kareina