Re: [Authentic_SCA] Embroidered hoods?

  • Ylaire Sainte Claire
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2012
      You may be able to add a few descrete buttons and loops in order to button a reflective stripe on the hood for modern safety convenience yet still be able to remove the strip for SCA purposes.

      Ylaire Sainte Claire

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Dec 2, 2012, at 10:58, Kareina Talvi Tytär <kareina.sca@...> wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > I have been assembling myself a black wool hood fully lined in fur (from a
      > (probably) mink coat I found at a second hand store).
      >
      > Since I live in Frostheim (Luleå, Norrbotten, Sweden) I will be using it on
      > cold days to walk to and from work. Therefore I am now considering adding
      > some sort of white and silver metallic embroidery so that it will be a bit
      > reflective in headlights and so safer to wear on our dark winter days.
      >
      > However, I will aslo want to use it at SCA events, therefore any embroidery
      > added needs to be appropriate to somewhere and somewhen in our period. I
      > have certainly seen many people at events over the years wearing hoods with
      > embroidery on them, but I have no idea from which century(ies) or
      > culture(s) those hoods come from.
      >
      > When next I am on a better connection than my phone I plan to do a search
      > to see what I can find on line in the way of period examples of embroidered
      > hoods. However, knowing how easy it is to forget what I had planed to
      > search for I thought I would ask here as well.
      >
      > Do any of you know of any nice examples of embroidered hoods in period?
      > From where/when? Any and all suggestions of urls to check out when I am
      > properly on line again will be appreciated, in part because the email
      > waiting in my in box will remind me to go looking.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > --Kareina
      > Feeling flexible as to time and place today.

    • Kareina Talvi Tytär
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2012
        On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Des & Jan Howard <djhoward@...>wrote:

        > **
        > Kareina
        >
        > Personally I would make the hood to suit your period persona & wear a
        > modern reflective vest for your walks.
        > Reflective vests are more noticable than a disembodied head floating a
        > metre or so from the ground. As a
        > person who wears reflective clothing for emergency service work on night
        > time rural roads I want to make
        > traffic very aware of my presence.
        > Ranif

        Hi Ranif,

        I don't have a set period and persona of my own, but generally like a
        variety of early period styles. The reason I asked on the list is that I
        have NO idea when, where, or IF hoods were ever embroidered and decorated
        in SCA period, and I was hoping someone already knew of an example from
        somewhere/some when they could point me to.

        I am guessing from the resounding silence on that point that no one else
        actually knows of period examples of embroidered hoods, either. Therefore,
        now that I have a moment and some internet access I thought I would share
        what I little found, since I can't be the only person to ever wonder "did
        they embroider on their hoods?".

        The first thing I found was these two:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/racaire/3573960967/ and
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/racaire/3574767882/ which is the art which
        inspired Racaire when she made her hood:
        http://embroidery.racaire.at/?p=3401 I don't know where she found those
        sources, but to my eye they look like late middle ages.

        There is a good summary of hoods on line here:
        http://www.larsdatter.com/hoods.htm

        I don't recall reading about any embroidery on any of the Herjolfsnes
        hoods, just that there were a variety of different patterns.

        Sadly, I am out of time for on-line research just now, so will have to
        return to this another day to find anything else...

        --Kareina