Embroidered hoods?

  • Kareina Talvi Tytär
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2012
      Greetings,

      I have been assembling myself a black wool hood fully lined in fur (from a
      (probably) mink coat I found at a second hand store).

      Since I live in Frostheim (Luleå, Norrbotten, Sweden) I will be using it on
      cold days to walk to and from work. Therefore I am now considering adding
      some sort of white and silver metallic embroidery so that it will be a bit
      reflective in headlights and so safer to wear on our dark winter days.

      However, I will aslo want to use it at SCA events, therefore any embroidery
      added needs to be appropriate to somewhere and somewhen in our period. I
      have certainly seen many people at events over the years wearing hoods with
      embroidery on them, but I have no idea from which century(ies) or
      culture(s) those hoods come from.

      When next I am on a better connection than my phone I plan to do a search
      to see what I can find on line in the way of period examples of embroidered
      hoods. However, knowing how easy it is to forget what I had planed to
      search for I thought I would ask here as well.

      Do any of you know of any nice examples of embroidered hoods in period?
      From where/when? Any and all suggestions of urls to check out when I am
      properly on line again will be appreciated, in part because the email
      waiting in my in box will remind me to go looking.

      Thanks,

      --Kareina
      Feeling flexible as to time and place today.

    • Des & Jan Howard
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2012
        Kareina
        Personally I would make the hood to suit your period
        persona & wear a modern reflective vest for your walks.
        Reflective vests are more noticable than a disembodied
        head floating a metre or so from the ground. As a
        person who wears reflective clothing for emergency
        service work on night time rural roads I want to make
        traffic very aware of my presence.
        Ranif

        On 3/12/2012 2:58 AM, Kareina Talvi Tytär wrote:
        > Therefore I am now considering adding
        > some sort of white and silver metallic embroidery so
        > that it will be a bit reflective in headlights
        > and so safer to wear on our dark winter days.
      • Ylaire Sainte Claire
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2012
          You may be able to add a few descrete buttons and loops in order to button a reflective stripe on the hood for modern safety convenience yet still be able to remove the strip for SCA purposes.

          Ylaire Sainte Claire

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2012
            On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Des & Jan Howard <djhoward@...>wrote:

            > **
            > Kareina
            >
            > Personally I would make the hood to suit your period persona & wear a
            > modern reflective vest for your walks.
            > Reflective vests are more noticable than a disembodied head floating a
            > metre or so from the ground. As a
            > person who wears reflective clothing for emergency service work on night
            > time rural roads I want to make
            > traffic very aware of my presence.
            > Ranif

            Hi Ranif,

            I don't have a set period and persona of my own, but generally like a
            variety of early period styles. The reason I asked on the list is that I
            have NO idea when, where, or IF hoods were ever embroidered and decorated
            in SCA period, and I was hoping someone already knew of an example from
            somewhere/some when they could point me to.

            I am guessing from the resounding silence on that point that no one else
            actually knows of period examples of embroidered hoods, either. Therefore,
            now that I have a moment and some internet access I thought I would share
            what I little found, since I can't be the only person to ever wonder "did
            they embroider on their hoods?".

            The first thing I found was these two:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/racaire/3573960967/ and
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/racaire/3574767882/ which is the art which
            inspired Racaire when she made her hood:
            http://embroidery.racaire.at/?p=3401 I don't know where she found those
            sources, but to my eye they look like late middle ages.

            There is a good summary of hoods on line here:
            http://www.larsdatter.com/hoods.htm

            I don't recall reading about any embroidery on any of the Herjolfsnes
            hoods, just that there were a variety of different patterns.

            Sadly, I am out of time for on-line research just now, so will have to
            return to this another day to find anything else...

            --Kareina