Re: [Authentic_SCA] Fw: Ermine fur in SCA period (was Re: A qestion about a cloak.)

  • Kareina Talvi Tytär
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2012

      > Does anyone have a good link or advice on how to take ermine pelts and
      > turn them into something usable for costuming. I am a seamstress but I've
      > never worked with fur. I would like to reproduce the outfit worn by King
      > Edward VI at his coronation:
      > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/Edward_VI_of_England_c._1546.jpgfor my son. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
      > ,_.___

      Many years ago Anne of Bradford (then living in Oertha) made Mantle out of
      Ermine for Duke Radnor of Guildemar. There is a photo of it on line here
      http://history.westkingdom.org/Year38/Photos/TN19.htm

      If I remember correctly it took 36 ermine for just that mantle; the ermine
      were trapped, skinned, and tanned by Kylson Skyfyre (now deceased . I
      recall her saying that the project was difficult enough that she never
      wished to sew another ermine again. If you want to talk to someone who has
      sewn ermine I (or several others on this list) could put you in touch with
      her.

      --Kareina