Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: 1530 Italian clergy and weddings

  • George A.Trosper
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2012
      First, I apologize for taking over-long to get back to this.

      Second, I thank KaraM for her clear and helpful disagreement--not merely
      labeled polite but actually being so. However, I must point out that my
      extreme discomfort was never over the theoretical event being a wedding
      or non-wedding, but over its being a non-MASS.

      Third, I've been well aware of the date for Trent. My point (I hope more
      clearly this time than before) was that I couldn't imagine any priest
      who'd say a real PRE-Tridentine Mass, assuming that such a thing could
      even be valid and/or licit in 2012 Gregorian. So I offered Tridentine as
      the best near-authentic compromise in our compromise-laden SCA society.

      Fourth, and most emphatically not least, I want to belatedly
      congratulate Ylaire Ste. Claire and husband for developing a really good
      event idea, and offer my best wishes, too, for their marriage!

      And finally: Perhaps selfishly, I'm hoping this message will stimulate a
      post-event, post-honeymoon report.

      --George/Gerard
    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2012
        It might be worth checking into, though. I do know of an instance where a
        priest was able to get a dispensation to do a Latin Mass at a Civil War
        event, it might be possible to get permission for a pre-Tridentine Mass, if
        one could find a interested priest and present the idea appropriately to
        the higher ups.

        -Katherine.

      • Marianne Perdomo
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2012
          Greetings!

          I've heard of earlier-style masses done in Spain, for "historic reasons".

          According to wikipedia these are not rare occurrances. See the last two
          paragraphs in:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozarabic_Rite#Preservation_and_relevance_of_the_Mozarabic_rite

          In the Spanish version of the article that part is a bit clearer. It does
          also mention that Pope John Paul II held such a mass in Rome in 1992.

          Honestly, I think that if done in good faith as a historic recreation, not
          a replacement or a mockery it might well find even official support. But
          then, I'm only "culturally" catholic ;)

          Cheers!

          Marianne / Leonor