planetary attributions of liberal arts

  • Andrea Luxenburg
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 25, 2012
      I know that in medieval thought, each of the seven liberal arts (Grammar, Dialectic, Rhetoric, Arithmetic, Geometry, Music, and Astronomy) was governed by one of the planetary intelligences, but the only one I have found is that Venus rules Grammar.  Does anyone have the rest of the correspondences?

      Thanks ever so.

      Fflur verch hywel

    • Jennifer Kobayashi
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 25, 2012
        > From: Andrea Luxenburg <huwydd@...>

        >I know that in medieval thought, each of the seven liberal arts (Grammar, Dialectic, Rhetoric, Arithmetic, Geometry, Music, and Astronomy) was governed by one of the planetary intelligences, but the only one I have found is that Venus rules Grammar.  Does anyone have the rest of the correspondences?

        From Dante's "Convivo":
        http://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Italian/ConvivioII.htm#_Toc189547314

        Here it is grammer-Moon, dialectics-Mercury, rhetoric-Venus, etc.

        -Jennifer/Gwendolyn of Middlemarch